It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Security number code cracked

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Social Security number code cracked

news.smh.com.au

For all the concern about identity theft, researchers say there's a surprisingly easy way for the technology-savvy to figure out the precious nine digits of Americans' Social Security numbers.

"It's good that we found it before the bad guys," Alessandro Acquisti of Carnegie-Mellon University in Pittsburgh said of the method for predicting the numbers.

Acquisti and Ralph Gross report in Tuesday's edition of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences that they were able to make the predictions using data available in public records as well as information such as birthdates cheer
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.forbes.com

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Well it is now only a matter of time before the "bad guys" do figure this out and start using it to their advantage. If this is figured out and somehow makes its way to the web, which it will, then identity scams will increase for sure. Hopefully they can get a new system in place soon so this will not be a problem but for those of us who already have them with the old system, well, were open to identity theft.

news.smh.com.au

[edit on 6-7-2009 by bakednutz]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by bakednutz

Hopefully they can get a new system in place soon so this will not be a problem but for those of us who already have them with the old system, well, were open to identity theft.

news.smh.com.au

And that is why the code is so easily cracked, A New System.
A restart button that will be easily trackable and digital, our governments wet dream. It will help open the door for a chip and a new currency oh and will kick start our consumer economy because everyone will get a blank slate.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
If you read the article carefully, you will learn that to use this system to predict the person's SSN after 1000 attempts, 8.5% of the time, that information regarding the person's identity needed to be known, including Date of Birth, Place of Birth (and the part left out by the article is assumed to be Mother's Maiden Name).

I figured out the Place of Birth part of the SSN when I was five years old. Comparing my SSN with my sister's and with my mother's and with my father's, made that part abundantly clear.

That left only 6 remaining digits to decrypt.

This system that was discovered isn't foolproof. To have a 8.5% accuracy with 1:1000 odds, is not that reliable. Add to the fact that the person need already know your DoB, PoB and MMN and they could have your SSN through much more reliable means. If they already have those three pieces of information about your identity, getting your SSN is far easier than running it through a generator and trying 85,000 times to see if they got it right.

Scare tactics and sensationalist journalism. No need to flood the Social Security Hotline.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SEEWHATUDO

Originally posted by bakednutz

Hopefully they can get a new system in place soon so this will not be a problem but for those of us who already have them with the old system, well, were open to identity theft.

news.smh.com.au

And that is why the code is so easily cracked, A New System.
A restart button that will be easily trackable and digital, our governments wet dream. It will help open the door for a chip and a new currency oh and will kick start our consumer economy because everyone will get a blank slate.

I agree 100%. The real question is do we already have this planned in the Obama health care plan? I bet it is. Wake up America, You been had.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I recall getting a notice from social security on my work history many years ago. I guess that's not the same as what the OP is about, but I have wondered how someone else could get credit with my name, when I couldn't with my bad history.

At least I don't have any credit cards...that I know of. Tightening credit rules to limit credit is one way. That way, you or anyone else would be stopped from using a credit in your name. The credit and usage would be determined by your income.

I've been on disability for about 5 years and have yet to check my credit score. Since I haven't been notified of any credit cards etc. I somehow feel it's not an issue.

I do still worry about my own personal banking and bank card balance and check that often for balancing and budgeting. Having a bank check card isn't the same as writing checks, which I was never good at anyway, I much prefer the card over cash to keep track of it.

I'm all for a more secure system. Such as might be through a cell phone or similar tracking device so that my charges aren't somewhere I'm not at unless it's a cyclical billing. Unfortunately, people call that kind of spending freedom along with corporates who expect compulsive spending.

I could see a more advanced system that pays my bills automatically, rather than the current system of mail billing and slower payments.

I hate waiting for checks to go through.

I wouldn't mind having a cell phone or similar to automatically verify my spending and billing. As long as it wasn't cloned or hacked somehow. It seems as if there's always a way in.

The virtual money should also have a trace that keeps it from going where it shouldn't or used where it can't be. Hacked stolen virtual money would than be useless.

If google can track us somehow, than I don't see why it would be much different.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Doesn't the SS card say "Not to be used as identification". I know at one time it did. Never could figure that one out???

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leo Strauss
Doesn't the SS card say "Not to be used as identification". I know at one time it did. Never could figure that one out???

because it is not an official id card/document

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
So you think the "bad boys" were waiting for an internet post on the social security problem. All that this has provided is to fuel the not so savy into a trying.

Lets face it, if you know what you doing, the last thing you would be doing is advertising it over the net...

Ex

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
So, I guess if you were counting on your social security check
in the future, you can pretty much figure someone else is
already collecting your check!

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
This is a serious subject and a good thread... but I had to laugh...

The "move along, nothing to see here" quote:

Social Security spokesman Mark Lassiter said the public should not be alarmed by the report "because there is no foolproof method for predicting a person's Social Security number."

The "we already were working on this" quote:

However, he added: "For reasons unrelated to this report, the agency has been developing a system to randomly assign SSNs. This system will be in place next year."

One would think they would simply say "Thank you" but alas, the government knows more than all of us.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Just one more reason ''they'' have to chip us..

I always wondered when this kinda thing would come about...

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
This does not worry me any more than the security surrounding our SSN right now.

When I used to run background checks for cases and for companies doing employment screenings, I can not tell you how many people's SSN were being used by others. It is a huge huge problem. And has nothing to do with the government wanting to chip us
People who were alive and dead are having their SSN stolen and used, without them even knowing. It is very easy right now to steal people's identities. People are not careful and they do not do much to protect themselves. It happens so much, its very scary.

The only way to protect yourself is to check your credit report often. Not once a year - often. And if you have any fear your SSN may have been stolen - but do not have any hard evidence - contact a private investigator. They can find out easily, quickly and for pretty cheap

[edit on July 7th 2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Didn't see this was posted first, here is my comment from the other thread:

What if they keep announcing information like this to get our minds thinking, then when the implant is announced, we will be ready with open arms for that sense of security. Seems to me, just more brand marketing for the times to come.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
If you read the article carefully, you will learn that to use this system to predict the person's SSN after 1000 attempts, 8.5% of the time, that information regarding the person's identity needed to be known, including Date of Birth, Place of Birth (and the part left out by the article is assumed to be Mother's Maiden Name).

I figured out the Place of Birth part of the SSN when I was five years old. Comparing my SSN with my sister's and with my mother's and with my father's, made that part abundantly clear.

That left only 6 remaining digits to decrypt.

This system that was discovered isn't foolproof. To have a 8.5% accuracy with 1:1000 odds, is not that reliable. Add to the fact that the person need already know your DoB, PoB and MMN and they could have your SSN through much more reliable means. If they already have those three pieces of information about your identity, getting your SSN is far easier than running it through a generator and trying 85,000 times to see if they got it right.

That's why social networks exist. Thanks goes to facebook and the like

top topics

join