It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uighurs don't get support from the "Free Tbet" crowd

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
The whole "Free Tibet" movement is a cottege industry in its own right...but who cares about the poor Uighurs? Yes, the Chinese moves in this area have gotten some play, especially on you tube:

But I have to wonder -- if this happed in Lhasa would there be more attention and outrage? My gut instinct tells me "yes."

I guess the Uighurs don't have a cuddly spokesperson like the Dalai Lama looking out for them...or Richard Gere, for that matter. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing poor old Tibet. Personally, being neither Chinese. Tibetan, or Uighir, none of it is of any personal concern to me and I attempt to bash nobody, including China. But I do think its unfair that Tibet sucks up so much more attention due to its romatic image perhaps while real people who are every bit as real elsewhere get the shrug.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder
I agree with you.

Uighurs aren't as cuddly as the Tibetans

But it's sad that they have to rise up against their oppressors and it's even more sadder that ATS is the only place I've first heard about this.

I hope they eventually manage to craft their own country and kick the Chinese out, one way or other.

new topics

join