It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Historic Bible pages put online

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

news.bbc.co.uk

"The Codex Sinaiticus is one of the world's greatest written treasures," he said.

"This 1,600-year-old manuscript offers a window into the development of early Christianity and first-hand evidence of how the text of the Bible was transmitted from generation to generation.

"The availability of the virtual manuscript for study by scholars around the world creates opportunities for collaborative research that would not have been possible just a few years ago."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
www.codexsinaiticus.org

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
For 1,500 years, the Codex Sinaiticus lay undisturbed in a Sinai monastery until it was found in 1844 along with artifacts from the time the manuscript was scribed. Now available online for all to see.
That is pretty awesome, just over the fact that the current English translations (KJV, NIV,) and so on are off by a long shot in so many ways. So many doctrines have been created over unintentional and purposeful mistranslations. One of these days The Christian churches we have to stop ignoring these facts.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Already posted several times. PLEASE USE SEARCH OR REVIEW RECENT POSTS.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Tick

That is pretty awesome, just over the fact that the current English translations (KJV, NIV,) and so on are off by a long shot in so many ways.

Unless you can read ancient Greek, I don't think you can say that. Many of the modern translations are based off of individual manuscripts that are older than this codex. This codex is the oldest complete NT, which is cool, but there are still fragments and other manuscripts that are older.

In addition, there are writings from the early church fathers that contain many quotes from what they had of the NT that match up with what we have today.

So many doctrines have been created over unintentional and purposeful mistranslations.

Yes, there are some verses in the KJV that aren't in some of the oldest manuscripts. But, those only account for 1% of the entire New Testament! And, not a single Christian doctrine is based on any one verse, so, even if those questionable verses are taken out [like my prefered translation, the ESV does], all the Christian doctrines can still be found!

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by king9072
Already posted several times. PLEASE USE SEARCH OR REVIEW RECENT POSTS.

I used the search button and found a dead link but thats about it. I must have missed it in the recent posts. sry!

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
As a Charismatic Christian I applaud the increase of access to any and all historical Christian-Judeo documents.

I have no conerns whatsoever about shining the light of Truth on my faith.

In fact, I was an agnostic until I took a substantial amount of courses in evolution theory, logic, and post-newtonian physics.

The evidence to support literal scripture, I found, to be quite compelling!

Please do not attempt to emotionally influence people with propogandistic generalizations - if you have specific examples of inconsistancies between the CS and Modern Bibles - that concern you - please bring them to our full attention.

So far I - in my extensive research - have not found any inconsitencies that dilute the message and purpose of Christ by one iota.

I doubt you can present any formerly "secret" information that is likely to change that.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthMagnet

I have no concerns whatsoever about shining the light of Truth on my faith.

I have no problem with this either, as a Christian. All the other versions/manu.fragments of the New Testament that we currently have so remarkable consistency with one another. I don't expect this to be any different.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I am a ferm believer of the christian faith. Excepting Jesus Christ into my life has changed my life completely in every way. I am born again by the Holy Ghost, I have not one doubt about that at all.
With that said, I do have to say that I do not subscribe to most Orthodox Beliefs or creeds. What have those creeds or dogmas brought us? Is the Christian church today the same church that was left in the book of Acts? If you say yes think again. I am not trying allude people or step on toes but do a little more digging, you know "study too show thy self approved" My KJV has many blunt misinterpretations in it. If you would like I can give you some examples? It is what it is. In all honesty if the Holly Bible was translated by agnostics it would be a more solid translation just over the fact that the translators belief system would not be a motivating factor.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Their website just crashed because so many people want to see the codex!
That is a web site to bookmark.

Best regards
Tick

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Tick

awesome news.

if anyone finds a PDF of web page with the full english translation could you please post it or u2u me? I have been looking .. cannot el-findo.

thnx

-

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Duplicate...

Please post here..

On going

Closing

new topics

top topics

join