It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

History books

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I've already posted once here, but another one I just thought of that you might be interested in (since you mentioned the middle east book as a favourite) is "First Footsteps in East Africa" by Richard Burton. (not the actor :p) It is a firsthand account of a non-Muslim's experience in various places where non-Muslims were kill-on-sight at the time. He was so familiar with Arabic and Muslim culture that he was able to pass himself off as one, and wrote about his experiences later. It's a very small book and an easy read, so it shouldn't take long at all, if you can find it. It was written sometime in the 19th century (not sure on the year and too lazy to look) but it's been reprinted more recently; I got it new back in the late 90s or so.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by DragonsDemesne

Didn’t he have himself circumcised in order to visit Mecca disguised as a Muslim?

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

I don't recall that being in the book. I do know that he had traveled extensively and learned a great deal about the culture of Arabs and Muslims in order to blend in.

Going to wikipedia under "First explorations and journey to Mecca (1851–1853)" it says that

It was this journey, undertaken in 1853, which first made Burton famous. He had planned it whilst travelling disguised among the Muslims of Sindh, and had laboriously prepared for the ordeal by study and practice (including undergoing the Muslim tradition of circumcision to further lower the risk of being discovered).

So he did indeed get circumcised to visit Mecca, according to the wiki article. (now that's hardcore dedication to exploration!) The book I read talked about his journey to Harar, so according to wikipedia he had already gone to Mecca and been circumcised by the beginning of this book, which is probably why I don't remember it being mentioned there.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
"Alexander the Great" by Robin Lane Fox is superb.

Also, "A History of the World in 100 Objects", by the British Museum.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join