It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange dark line in the sky!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
The shadow is going to the sun.
That has to mean something.
I'd have to see more edge effects.
The exhaust looks very bright as if Illuminated from the left and the
setting Sun is on the right.
And this is not seen by the photographer.

ED: Ref the Zyril post

antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov...

[edit on 7/7/2009 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
You can think of them in terms of three dimensional geometry. The contrail is a line in three dimensional space. The camera (or observer) is a point in three dimensional space. The sun is essentially infinitely far away, and so is only really relevant as a directional vector (a vector in three dimensions, where the magnitude is unimportant ). These three quantities are what you need to consider to understand the condition for the edge shadow.

Given the line (contrail) and direction vector (sun) we can form a plane that contains the line, and is parallel to the direction vector. This plane cuts through the contrail, the atmosphere, and intersects the ground. Projecting two end points of the contrail along the plane in the direction of the sun’s vector, we get essentially a two dimensional parallelepiped (although the far edge is not very well defined). This parallelepiped is quite thin (it’s as thick as the contrail), so when viewed from the side, you won’t see much. But when the viewer is in the plane of the parallelepiped - specifically anywhere along the line on the ground formed by the intersection with the plane formed by the contrail and the sun - then they will be viewing the parallelepiped from edge-on, and so it will seem to be a dark line that intersects the contrail.

Since only the portion of the contrail that is roughly within this plane is contributing to the shadow, there may be other potions of the contrail that are not in the the plane, and hence do not seem to be casting a shadow. In fact they are, but since it is in a different plane, they are not visible unless the viewer was to move to a new position. This can be seen in the two photos above. In one it looks as if the plane was following a dark line, and then veered off. In the Shuttle photo, the highest portion of the trail, although brightly illuminated, is not contributing to the visible shadow. However a viewer in another location may have been able to see a different edge shadow trailing from this upper portion.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

Looks like some kind of weird rainbow. Or a weird lens effect.

There is a faint dark beam below sun.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DangerDeath

Looks like some kind of weird rainbow. Or a weird lens effect.

There is a faint dark beam below sun.

Things get stranger and stranger.
What if there was a dark trail there all along and this rocket launch
just happened to jump into the picture at the right moment.
So then the effects people start explaining away.

Did I mention the thought about making light bend.
Letterman had science kids on and water or some liquid lit up
all the way down till empty as the outlet stream was lit.

I figure that was not too hard to understand.

Why has this phenomena not been recognized before.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Zyril

This is very interesting. You're posting an external quote without separating the quoted text, or even identifying your statements as borrowed.

ATS has a policy with regard to using external quotes.

Further, if your intention was to pass off the information you were sharing as your own it puts your credibility in question.

Just about your entire post was plagiarized from a new (May 2007) website, hosted through a proxy, called ContrailScience.com.

Here is a LINK to your article.

Well, with a name like "Contrail Science" they must know what they're talking about.

Here is what I discovered on a quick "Who Is" search,

Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States

Registered through:
GoDaddy.com, Inc. (www.godaddy.com...)
Domain Name: CONTRAILSCIENCE.COM
Created on: 09-May-07
Expires on: 09-May-11
Last Updated on: 10-May-09

SOURCE

How credible (or viable) is a source who can't even host a website without going through a proxy?

This is a very new website...Almost seems as if it were created to play damage control - one of those nifty "Myth vs Facts" sites the gov. likes to throw up whenever people start getting uppity.

I will share one source for the image I included above, but the original was from a Missouri website I believe.

Educate-yourself.org has a copy of the image HERE

The issue is simply not closed as far as I'm concerned.

Here (below) are four more photos of a black line / beam, without a contrail in the immediate vicinity to explain them.

And below is the odd "ocean beam" photo from one of my previous links.

Props to the OP. The naysayers here aren't paying enough attention and / or just don't really care about the issue.

I am, and have been, very interested in this and other "recent" phenomena.

[edit on 7-7-2009 by atswheat]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by atswheat

I strongly suggest you check your 'holier-than-thou' attitude, dude!!

Just about your entire post was plagiarized from a new (May 2007) website, hosted through a proxy, called ContrailScience.com.

NEW??? May, 2007 ---new, huh?

Here is what I discovered on a quick "Who Is" search,

Yada, yada, yada...

Registered through:
GoDaddy.com, Inc. (www.godaddy.com...)

If you'd bothered to check, you'd find that 'godaddy' is simply a place that sells (and hosts, or whatever it's called) domain names at reasonable prices.

How credible (or viable) is a source who can't even host a website without going through a proxy?

You might ask that same question of MANY of the pro-'chemtrail' nonsense sites.....

For instance, on the 'contrailscience' site, they include, among other things, that iconic picture of the B777 flight-test with the ballast barrels installed --- the same tired picture the 'chemtrailers' kept dragging out (probably still are) on their tired old websites!! You know the one, that's been photo-shopped with the words "HazMat"? Comically, the sign is actually on the wall of the lavatory. At least the 'chemtrailers' have a sense of humor?

This is a very new website...Almost seems as if it were created to play damage control - one of those nifty "Myth vs Facts" sites the gov. likes to throw up whenever people start getting uppity.

Now you're just being silly, and paranoid. Who died and made you the ATS police?

If you look at the profile of the ATS member you are so readily bashing (and not so subtlely accusing) you'll see that he/she is fairly new, and likely not well-versed in all of the BB codes and whatnot on ATS.

SO, Mr. Wheat....shaking the chaff out, are we? How about YOU tell us what your theory is on those dark ....errrr... lines, for want of a better term.

AND, whilst you're on about it, please tell us what nefarious purpose they might serve, being how narrow they are??

[edit on 7 July 2009 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Black contrail, I have seen them before. When a jet engine is running at its best the contrail is white (water vapor and CO2). When a jet is running bad the contrail is off color. The blacker the contrail the worse the engine is running. I have seen contrails so black they looked like there were painted in the sky. When they get that black the engine stalls out 9 times out of 10. It is just like running you lawn mower with the choke on. The contrail you seen means only that engine is in bad need of a tune up.

A black contrail can also mean there is an engine compartment fire which means it may be time to eject

Now that "ocean beam" photo is very odd

[edit on 7/7/2009 by fixer1967]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I have to agree with atswheat.

And I think it is YOU with the holier than thou attitude, dude.

By the way, the black line is from light refraction and shadow projection. They do it under/above clouds too. Metal particulates.

[edit on 7-7-2009 by Udontknowme]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

fixer....ummm....

I've been flying for 30+ years, nearly 23 at a major airline on passenger jets.

Jet engines don't run like a lawnmower with the choke on!

Just can't compare a two-cycle reciprocating engine to a high-bypass turbofan, sorry.

Of course, though....if the dern thing was on fire?? Yup, there'd be some black smoke. BUT, it's be a MAJOR deal, on the news...we DO have fire extinguishers...and once you shut off the fuel, the fire (hopefully) will go out very quickly. AND then, it's land as soon as possible! (Over water? Well...hope the fire goes out, because if not, you're ditching before the wing burns off!)

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I have looked at that picture again and I think that Sun is not for real.
It has been photo shopped. There's no way sun could be positioned like that among those clouds. The blueish contrail is clearly airbrush.

It's a fake and a bad one.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by fixer1967

fixer....ummm....

I've been flying for 30+ years, nearly 23 at a major airline on passenger jets.

Jet engines don't run like a lawnmower with the choke on!

Just can't compare a two-cycle reciprocating engine to a high-bypass turbofan, sorry.

Of course, though....if the dern thing was on fire?? Yup, there'd be some black smoke. BUT, it's be a MAJOR deal, on the news...we DO have fire extinguishers...and once you shut off the fuel, the fire (hopefully) will go out very quickly. AND then, it's land as soon as possible! (Over water? Well...hope the fire goes out, because if not, you're ditching before the wing burns off!)

I was trying to dumb it down a bit. The air fuel ratio is right the fuel burns clean and you get water vapor and CO2 and you get black smoke from a jet engine when the air/fuel ratio is off due to damage. And if the plane the made the contrail in questions was on fire it wound not have made it too far I would think. Most of the water vapor in a contrail is not even from the engines. It is from water vapor in the air being compressed by the shock wave from the planes wings. Now I see no way to make a black contrail from the contrail made by the planes wake. As for the black contrails that seem to be from something other than a plane now that I have no idea what made them or even if they are contrails at all but something esle all together.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Udontknowme

I invite you to re-read Mr. Wheat's diatribe, and then consider the member it was directed towards. A member registered last year, but not very experienced, based on the profile. Not his fault. AND, if some sort of professional dis-info artist, dontcha think he'd know how to debunk???

As to:

... light refraction and shadow projection. They do it under/above clouds too. Metal particulates.

Thank you for pointing out the shadow aspect. Especially the word 'projection', since it applies very aptly.

'Metal particulates'? Let's examine that theory.

Again, I just use logic. AND some aviation experience.

Metal particulates would have some weight, correct? OK, now --- if you want to distribute them in some fashion so that they are spread out whilst 'spraying' from an airborne platform, how is this done? Are they suspended in a liquid? Do these metal particulates 'flow' like liquid? I suppose you could imagine some sort of carbon/graphite substance might be slippery enough to have liquid characteristics, but that's not my area of expertise. perhaps someone else would know?

Back to the metal particulates (again, using logic) and IF they are placed into a liquid for distribution, then the liquid would have weight, its own PLUS the metal. Water is a likely medium (although isopropyl alcohol might be useful, since I believe it's lighter than water, and evaporates quickly, but of course it is flammable).

ANYWAY, all of this weight would have to be considered as 'payload' for the flight...and when you consider also the fuel required, you eventually run up against a maximum amount of weight to carry as 'payload' for any given mission.

After examining the logic of it, I see no logic in it. Metal particulates 'sprayed' out at some altitude...in a narrow swath, perhaps a few hundred feet wide at most...and if they spread out more, they just keep getting thinner and thinner, until you'd think their effectivity would be next to nothing, eventually.

I'd think the average industrial factory puts out more particulate matter in one day than an average airplane conducting 'spraying' activites could ever match.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
one more time.

not a shadow!

definition-shadow; an objests interception of light casting darkness upon a surface. to call this a shadow, shows a lack of education. i could understand it coming from an ancient poeple or something but a shadow can only be cast upon a surface. so stick to the word" beam",to avoid sounding like you know nothing, of what you are talking about.

[edit on 7-7-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

listen pal, i've seen this phenomena with my own eyes. and i saw no one out in front of the plane w/ an airbrush.why did you bother posting anything at all? i can only assume it was to let everybody know, you don't
know anything. remember this in the future,when posting. better it would be not to post.than TO post an insult, to your own intel.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by DangerDeath

listen pal, i've seen this phenomena with my own eyes. and i saw no one out in front of the plane w/ an airbrush.why did you bother posting anything at all? i can only assume it was to let everybody know, you don't
know anything. remember this in the future,when posting. better it would be not to post.than TO post an insult, to your own intel.

Enlarge this picture, my pen pal, and take a look at the "sun" and the "beam". It's amateur work.

antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov...

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Looks like Chemtrails

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 8-7-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I once observed a black line that was being created in front of a plane, that was laying a white trail behind it. The line proceeded in front of the plane at the same speed the plane was flying off into the distance. The plane flew in the path of the black line, as if it was following it for a long time. Then for about a 5 second interval. The plane actually diverted away from the black line, so that the black line and white line were side by side. Then the plane turned slightly, and followed the black line again.

From what I have observed, these black lines have followed a certain set of "norms". 1) The black line has always been in front of, or behind a plane. 2) It has always been a straight line. 3) It's length always increases (if in front of a plane), or decreases (if behind a plane) at the same speed that the plane is flying. 4) The black line has never appeared in a completely blue sky, free of the white haze left by previous planes.

The conclusion that I have reached from this, or my best guess at this point. Is that the planes are reflecting the sunlight either in front of or behind them, and possibly "singeing" whatever chemicals are being left in the air by previous planes. This dawned on me after watching Myth Busters do a show on Archimedes Death Ray. But if this is what is taking place. It would explain why the black lines are always straight lines, that increase or decrease at the same speed that the planes are flying. I used to think maybe they were shadows. Until I saw the plane that flew side by side with one.

Just my humble opinion,
Tom Sawyer

P.S. It's late, so I haven't had time to read all of the responses to this thread yet. So I hope I was able to add to the discussion, and didn't step on any toes in the process.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
one more time.

not a shadow!

Whether it's technically a shadow according to the strict definition, the meteorological term is nonetheless contrail shadow.

A contrail being a manmade cloud and a contrail shadow being the same as a cloud shadow.

You can see lots of cloud shadows, and crepuscular rays, here

This one shows some especially good cloud shadows. As does this one whilst this one shows a contrail shadow

All manmade I'm sure

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I'm deeply sorry that none of my quotes worked, and I apologize for the mistake. I should have added the source to where I found the information.

But it IS a shadow. Please, read everything about edge shadows on this site:

contrailscience.com...

If you don't understand and still think it is some kind of bad omen/chemical trail/secret weapon/interdimensional so on, so on, then you just don't have the knowledge or what is needed to understand it. I will not call anyone stupid or less intelligent, but this isn't something that is easily explained, though the explanation to it is very correct and scientific, proving that this is nothing more than a type of shadow.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
A dark trail is a dark trail like a dark cloud is a dark cloud.
Shadows are out of the question.
Contrail Science is just another anti Tesla ship Illuminati science lecture.
A dark trail maker:

(click to open player in new window)

If it can't be explained any other way than a shadow then perhaps
their science is incorrect.
Try what is the color of ionized air.
Science that.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join