It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Campaign Asks Congress to ‘Pledge to Read’ Bills Before Voting on Them

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Well, isn't this refreshing. I just hope that this idea catches on. Let's see who has the true courage to sign this pledge.

Members of Congress are being asked to pledge that they will read the bills that come before them before voting to enact them into law. “We think the American public expects their legislators to know what’s in a bill before they support it and we’re urging legislators to sign a pledge to that effect,” Colin Hanna, president of Let Freedom Ring, told CNSNews.com.

The “Responsible Healthcare Reform Pledge” says the following:

“I, (Name inserted here), pledge to my constituents and to the American people that I will not vote to enact any health-care reform package that: 1) I have not read, personally, in its entirety; and, 2) Has not been available, in its entirety, to the American people on the Internet for at least 72 hours, so that they can read it too.”

Let us all remember who actually signs this pledge when the 2010 elections come around.

They owe it to us to actually READ this legislation. Failure to do so results in a blatant failure of performing the duties that were sworn to uphold.

www.cnsnews.com...

[edit on 6-7-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Jibeho ... interesting find. Wouldn't that be rich!! The elected leadership would actually have to know something about what they are voting on before they actually vote.

Guess that would mean they'd have to cut short their tax payer funded three martini lunches and get to work.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Well, isn't this refreshing. I just hope that this ideas catches on. Let's see who has the true courage to sign this pledge.

I agree with what you're saying (doesn't happen much between us, does it?
)

I think the problem as it exists in Canada as well as the US, is that legislation is so dense that it is impossible to read. Stuff gets piggybacked in and is passed without the lawmakers having any idea of what they signed. Now if the laws were written differently, or if each item had a one-line summery as in "This law is intended to provide immediate shelter for flood victims in Dade County as a result of Hurricane Homer"...and the addition of pork were forbidden (to be ascertained in review)...that might work.

No sense giving folks stuff to read that they can't either understand or translate in to the King's English.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

It is a shame that something like this is even necessary, but since we can't count on our elected representatives to do the most basic part of their job, then I am all for it!

Good find jibeho
-E-

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
It's a great start. I suppose expecting them to actually understand it after reading it might be out of the question.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   

They owe it to us to actually READ this legislation. Failure to do so results in a blatant failure of performing the duties that were sworn to uphold.

They owe it to us to read and more importantly UNDERSTAND any legislation not just this one. Why 72 hours? Why not a week??? It's not an emergency.

Time for debate is always lacking... it will still be lacking with this legislation. For those of you who will say that 72 hours is at least a start, I say, no it isn't. There is absolutely no reason why they can't publish it publicly a week before they vote on it. Also, what makes this legislation any different from any other legislation??

Why do I find this humiliating and insulting to the American public that we have to ask Congress to sign a piece of paper saying that they will read a law that they're being asked to impose on the American people???

I say, if you have a Congress that doesn't do this in the first place, then vote them ALL out.

Edit to add: The more I think about this the madder I get. I think this pledge this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. It is so politically correct I can't stand it. It has absolutely no teeth and no way to track compliance.

My suggestion for these people, IF they really want to make a difference (which I'm questioning now because of this pansy a$$ "pledge"), is to ask them to sign a pledge that they won't pass ANY legislation that exceeds 250 pages.

That way, the problem is solved because legislation won't be too large to comprehend AND we WILL know if they're complying or not.

[edit on 6/7/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Well, isn't this refreshing. I just hope that this idea catches on. Let's see who has the true courage to sign this pledge.

And, NO, it's not refreshing... it should be INSULTING to you!

[edit on 6/7/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

You make an excellent case. Unfortunately, the entire nation walks around with the blinders on just accepting what is told to them.

Perhaps this pledge will wake somebody up enough to actually pay attention and hopefully get pissed off like you did.

Sadly, there is no way to actually reveal who has truly read this legislation. Perhaps we should demand book reports from these weasels.

The only recourse is not to reelect these bloated officials.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho The only recourse is not to reelect these bloated officials.

Unfortunately, there is also a bloated bureaucracy whose primary mission is to perpetuate itself. That needs to be brought in line as well.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Write-Only Congress

Of course, given the current nescient state of congressional literacy, it is unlikely that anyone who signs this pledge will have actually read it.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I dont know what its like in America...but the most important bills that are important to TPTB (like in brussels) are intentionally made to be so cryptic,long,tedious and downright illegible to most people that you dont know what you are voting for....Do you think most of the men and woman in congress even have the ability to read through such monstrosities and understand it?

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
That campaign is clearly polemic and attempting to further the Liberal Left cause! Everyone knows that the Christian Right can't read! And even the few who are of the Christian Right who can read, are only permitted to read the Bible!

Okay, tongue out of cheek...

Seriously, this is a step in the right direction.

However, once Congress is restricted to no longer pass laws that are knowingly Unconstitutional it will be even better. How dare they waste the time of the Taxpayers, as well as the overburdened Supreme Court! Yet, they do it all the time, knowing that an Unconstitutional Law will remain in effect for 7-10 years before being heard by the Supreme Court and overturned. This practice is ridiculous and needs to stop!

Never mind the concept of Rider Bills! When a Bill becomes so unpopular that there is no chance of it even being heard by Congress, it becomes attached as a Rider to an existing Bill that is popular. This is how asinine laws get passed by Congress. When Congress votes overwhelmingly on a popular "Save the Children Bill" they are actually approving an unpopular Rider Bill for "Increasing Pollution Credits to the Coal Industry" that would have never been given 30 seconds on the floor because no one other than that solitary Senator or Representative who sponsored the Bill would have supported it. So, it gets attached at the last minute before the Bill goes to final press before the final vote (or added as a condition to break a Filibuster). Our Congresspersons then vote on the main Bill and the ridiculous Rider gets approved along with it.

Both of these *COULD* be resolved if Congress actually took the time to read what they were voting on...but heaven knows that even the most literate of Congress don't read these Bills. When you have 10 Bills on the docket, all of which are approximately 3000 pages long, that's like reading 30 Bibles or 30 Complete Works of Shakespeare or 30 Tolstoy's War and Peace a day! Most of Congress don't even have the Staff to handle that kind of reading workload.

Reading the Bills is a good idea in concept, but in the current way that Congress works, it isn't going to be practical.

What Congress needs is serious Reform. What would make Congress more effective, as well as limit their power which has already grown more powerful than intended and grossly corrupt is:

1.) Congress can pass no law. Congress can only draft proposed legislation that shall be put before the people to vote on.

2.) Congress can draft no proposed legislation that is knowingly Unconstitutional.

3.) Congress can draft no proposed legislation that carries a Rider. There shall be only one topical application of law per drafted legislation.

Only then will the power of Lobbyists and Special Interest groups be diminished. Only then will the purpose of Congress shift back to the better interests of their constituents and the interests they are supposed to be serving. Only then will the legislation be fair, legal and constitutional.

Until then, enforcing the reading of legislation through a voluntary pledge is only attempting to put a bandaid on a much bigger problem, and no more effective than Congresspersons pledging to fight a fair election campaign. It's one of those things everyone is going to pledge, but not a single one of them are going to abide.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
I dont know what its like in America...but the most important bills that are important to TPTB (like in brussels) are intentionally made to be so cryptic,long,tedious and downright illegible to most people that you dont know what you are voting for....Do you think most of the men and woman in congress even have the ability to read through such monstrosities and understand it?

Sadly, the majority of our congressmen and women are lawyers so they should understand what they are reading. Most will just pay a staffer to read it and summarize it for them. That is part of the problem. Too many lawyers creating the red tape on capital hill.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Ohhh, this makes my head hurt.

If you have to ask people to sign a pledge to do what they should be doing in the first place, that pledge will mean little if anything at all.

This is like asking a cook at McDonald's who has been selling undercooked meat for the last 20 years to sign a pledge to stop selling undercooked meat! Or to sign a pledge to quit shortchanging customers. You have to fire these types of people, because they value their positions more than they value the integrity of the position, and will simply tell you what you want to hear to keep their positions.

Also, non-commital promises of future long term changes is all that politicians seem to be capable of these days. 2050 to curb emissions by 80% with no short term means to achieve it, oh but look how the G20 leaders shake hands and seemingly get along! How nice.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
OUT OF THE QUESTION!! How in God's name could they ever gut the Bill of Rights if they had to actually READ the bill? I think this is long past due and I'm am genuinely surprised that it made it this far. I hope it stays alive.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
IMAO, We dont really believe they would allow anyone to hold a public office who takes time to read anything, then they would have no time to campaign and get more hollyweird time. All the while the same old people pull the strings and say'"What did you get your puppet to do today?"

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
IMAO, We dont really believe they would allow anyone to hold a public office who takes time to read anything, then they would have no time to campaign and get more hollyweird time. All the while the same old people pull the strings and say'"What did you get your puppet to do today?"

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Members of Congress are being asked to pledge that they will read the bills that come before them before voting to enact them into law. “We think the American public expects their legislators to know what’s in a bill before they support it and we’re urging legislators to sign a pledge to that effect,” Colin Hanna, president of Let Freedom Ring, told CNSNews.com.

The “Responsible Healthcare Reform Pledge” says the following:

“I, (Name inserted here), pledge to my constituents and to the American people that I will not vote to enact any health-care reform package that: 1) I have not read, personally, in its entirety; and, 2) Has not been available, in its entirety, to the American people on the Internet for at least 72 hours, so that they can read it too.”

Let us all remember who actually signs this pledge when the 2010 elections come around.

www.cnsnews.com...

Isn't that their job????? So why are they in office if they don't do their job??

O yea they are connected.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
It doesn't hurt to hope. That our representatives ignore their existing responsibilities does not bode well for adding this to them. Like I said, no harm in trying.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Even if they did read 1300 page bills...how in the hell could they remember everything in it? Go read a 1000 page book and recite every detail...you can't...it's impossible.

Make the bills smaller..limit them to a page or two so we dn't have to freakin worry about it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join