It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass. mom accused of withholding cancer meds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Mass. mom accused of withholding cancer meds

news.yahoo.com

A woman accused of withholding cancer treatment from her autistic son has been charged with attempted murder.

Kristen LaBrie is scheduled to appear in Salem Superior Court on Monday on charges of attempted murder, child endangerment and permitting bodily injury to a disabled person.

LaBrie's son, Jeremy, was 9 when he died in March. He had been diagnosed with leukemia in 2006.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   
This is a case of attempted murder. The mother should have taken the child to chemotherapy session and given the child the prescriptions.

The legal and ethical problems associated with witholding treatment have now come out in the media with this case.

The child was not an adult but still had rights when it comes to treatment and the right to live. These are the basic rights of a mentally 'capable' person and the basis of 'free-living-will'

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by sunny_2008ny

I have had a hard time with this issue. There have been other cases similar to it recently. I think that the responsibility for treatment should lie with the parent. Not the 'state'.
We can all agree that treatment for leukemia is a good thing. Science has made great strides in treatments. But what if it were for a treatment that we disagreed with. Would we still support the 'state' to over-ride the parents wishes?
Case in point; the swine flu vaccinations. There have been numerous threads on the topic, none of them in support for mass, manditory vaccinations. Even though the 'state' is doing it for our own good.

In the end, we can't pick and choose what facets of a topic we'd like to believe in. You can either support a parents right to decide for the sake of their children, or not. The government, the 'state', can either maintain the right to decide for your family or not.
It is sad, unfortunate that a child died. But respecting the treatment options determined by the parent should be upheld.

Of course, that's just my humble opinion. . .

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I think attempted murder is a bit of a harsh charge, but surely criminal child neglect is more appropriate. Do parents not have a right to deciding their childrens' future, for better or worse? What were the mothers reason for neglecting her childs treatment? Were the religious? Could she not afford the treatments? If it's the former, then charges should be placed. If its the former, drop em, because then it's legally forcing someone who cannot afford to to pay over inflated prices to pay anyway.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I dunno ... murder?

It's hard for a parent to watch a child suffer through chemo let alone watch a child who doesn't understand what is happening suffer through chemo.

I'm going to let the courts decide this one.
I don't know if it's black and white.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

But respecting the treatment options determined by the parent should be upheld.

But what if the parents want the child to die? as in this case? The child should have been treated and treatment was available for what he was suffering from. Parents cannot do 'Mercy Killing', even doctors cant.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I'm on the fence with this state impressed treatment for parents in terms of care for their children. When the child was diagnosed with the illness he would have been 7 since he departed when he was 9. We don't know the extent of the illness when the child was diagnosed? Quite possibly, the child could have been riddled with the cancer and chemo would have just prolonged their suffering.

Treatment options would have been a tough decision for the mother or any care-taker. What is the best course of action to give my child the best quality of life until it is time to meet their maker? Before people start shouting from the pulpits we need to look at the big picture regarding the case. We know what chemo does to an adult but subjecting a child to it and not knowing if it will make any progress in arresting the disease? To me, that would be cruel and unusual punishment before death. Personally, I think the child was probably given a death sentence by the doctors and the mother probably wanted to make her child as comfortable as possible before their untimely passing.

Make no mistake, there is an invasion going on in the US. The courts and the legislatures are assaulting the very sanctity of your home and how you raise your children. People better start looking at stories like these and with a thorough eye before passing judgment, because down the road you may be in this mothers' situation. The government has practically infiltrated every aspect of our lives but I think the buck should stop at our door step.

Attempted murder is very harsh to charge this women with when in all reality she was trying to be as compassionate as possible in her child's final days. Don't get me wrong there are some bad parents out there but at present this story is to vague at the moment to judge the mother. Again, the government and the courts have no business mandating how you and I raise our kids!!!!

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
These cases make me sick. Truly, genuinely, SICK.

This woman had a child, and now the government has the right to force medical practices upon her family? What if they plainly and simply don't believe in chemotherapy? What if she doesn't wish to give it to her child? The bottom line is that, this is HER child... a part of HER body, HER heart and HER soul. It is no one else's, so no one should make the decision except for HER!

It truly makes me sick to read all of the "this is attempted murder" articles. It may be attempted murder, but it may also NOT be- and there is no physical evidence to convict a person on their intentions, so who the hell do any of you think you are; condemning a lady for having an unhealthy son and difficult decisions to make pertaining him?

Anyone who thinks this lady should serve jail time needs to do some serious reflecting. Stop worrying about what other people do with their kids and start worrying about some greater cause, perhaps taking better control of your own life (and children, if applicable).

I guess my point, mainly, is that it's HER child... not only is it a waste of tax-dollars, it's a waste of time to be worrying about... there are thousands of other causes you should cling onto, if THIS is what you sheeple consider to be worthy of a murder conviction.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakes51
I'm on the fence with this state impressed treatment for parents in terms of care for their children. When the child was diagnosed with the illness he would have been 7 since he departed when he was 9. We don't know the extent of the illness when the child was diagnosed? Quite possibly, the child could have been riddled with the cancer and chemo would have just prolonged their suffering.

Treatment options would have been a tough decision for the mother or any care-taker. What is the best course of action to give my child the best quality of life until it is time to meet their maker? Before people start shouting from the pulpits we need to look at the big picture regarding the case. We know what chemo does to an adult but subjecting a child to it and not knowing if it will make any progress in arresting the disease? To me, that would be cruel and unusual punishment before death. Personally, I think the child was probably given a death sentence by the doctors and the mother probably wanted to make her child as comfortable as possible before their untimely passing.

Make no mistake, there is an invasion going on in the US. The courts and the legislatures are assaulting the very sanctity of your home and how you raise your children. People better start looking at stories like these and with a thorough eye before passing judgment, because down the road you may be in this mothers' situation. The government has practically infiltrated every aspect of our lives but I think the buck should stop at our door step.

Attempted murder is very harsh to charge this women with when in all reality she was trying to be as compassionate as possible in her child's final days. Don't get me wrong there are some bad parents out there but at present this story is to vague at the moment to judge the mother. Again, the government and the courts have no business mandating how you and I raise our kids!!!!

Honestly, there should be no "gray area". Just read the last sentence of your post- that should be BLACK-AND-WHITE to everyone- it disturbs me that some of the nazis on this forum think the government has ANY business governing the structures of our families, homes and/or family values.

PS- stars for you

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by sunny_2008ny

It is the parents choice. (at least it should be) And what is the difference between this and abortion? As much as I hate that word and what it does, the supreme court has allowed a mother to kill her child. It is just in her womb at the time. How is this any different?

join