It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlantis theory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
My theory on Atlantis is that:

it was not a continent or single landmass, but an empire that began on one of the Atlantic archipelagos and conquered most of the islands in the Atlantic Ocean (thus the name Atlantis), and many now-sunken low-lying coastlands, including a HUGE chunk of South America off the coast of what is now Argentina.

When the interglacial began ~10,000 years ago, many Atlantic islands sunk, when the sea level rose 400 feet. The island of St. Helena is actually the southern end of an archipelago that ran from near the African coast all the way southwest to St. Helena. Today, many of the submerged mountains in this range peak up to less than 400 feet from the sea surface - meaning that before the interglacial, they were islands!

another thing: Atlanteans were considered to be "Nordic" - this is supported because the original inhabitants of Tenerife (Canary Islands) were blonde haired, blue eyed and had very white skin, even though the island is in the subtropics! This means that they had seafaring technology and probably originated from northern Europe. They had extremely primitive technology, which could be because they had to revert to a very primitive lifestyle once TSHTF.

The Canary Islands, by legend, are considered to be the remnant of Atlantis - while it's unlikely they form the highest points of a continent as they rise from very deep ocean, they DO represent some of the few once-numerous Atlantic islands not submerged at the end of the last Ice Age.

[edit on 6-7-2009 by Donnie Darko]

[edit on 6-7-2009 by Donnie Darko]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I do not no much, but this seems to be a decent theory, is it based on any research?

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by gandhi
I do not no much, but this seems to be a decent theory, is it based on any research?

yes, i was reading about the Canary Islands and I was looking for former islands in the Atlantic.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I am still not huge on the whole atlantis thing, but awesome thread anyway.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Research the Minoans. Might give you a different thought on who the Atlantians could have been. Of course more likely is that various naval civilizations got all mixed up through history's retelling and thus makes it hard to pinpoint.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Histopherness
Research the Minoans. Might give you a different thought on who the Atlantians could have been. Of course more likely is that various naval civilizations got all mixed up through history's retelling and thus makes it hard to pinpoint.

Are you talking about Santorini? I don't really buy that theory, I mean those people weren't that advanced. i think the resemblance and closeness to Plato is coincidental.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
No, no. Minoans were on Crete, before the Greek civ. They had advanced tech that we don't understand even today; water running in troughs~ uphill, and not by siphoning. They had amazing terra cotta, like Greece later. Very peaceful, very dead...

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Much Greek mythology refers to the Minoans, but not by name just reference. Like the minotaur, bull dancing, the labyrinth. The Minoans also had a large navy, most interesting is that they appeared to get tribute from other cities but had no evidence of weapons other then personal daggers or such that might have been used in ceremony or just to eat with. Unfortunately; their language, we call Script B, has still not been deciphered and so the few pieces of writing that have been collected can not be translated.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Decent theory indeed!

I do believe Atlantis was broken up by a large tsunami or earthquake. Some bits of it should be around the Canary Islands area, yes, but at the same time, most of it should also still be submerged, perhaps hidden from human exploration sight because it is so deep, near the trenches, etc. but also because humans haven't managed to track down the exact point of exposure - thus all they've seen so far in "exploration" are merely the sedimentary covering of the landmass.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko

Originally posted by Histopherness

Are you talking about Santorini? I don't really buy that theory, I mean those people weren't that advanced. i think the resemblance and closeness to Plato is coincidental.

Hard to believe that Atlantis was THAT advanced. It WAS an advanced civilization, that is definitely possible - for example, they could have had the starts of electricity, or magnetic control, maybe even advanced weaponry, but not things like alien tech. Perhaps they were a much more peaceful city, not taking war to others, and preferring to keep their secrets to themselves.

After all, it's not as if the media existed then, such that other countries knew of their technology and would want to invade them - though such a possibility of war cannot be ruled out. Of course Atlantis would win, and remain undefeated - until the natural disasters claimed them.

That's how the story started off, and thats what I think holds weight too.

[edit on 6-7-2009 by KarlG]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
My grandma actually lived in Atlantis in a past life and knew a ton about it. She's gonna tell me some stuff in a few days when I go camping with her; I will share some of what I hear.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

That is the consensus of Graham Hancock and other authors who support an ancient sea faring civilization that existed over 12,000 years ago. Atlantis was not a continent in itself, but a bunch of cities and states that existed throughout the world. The ice caps melted because of the comet collisions over 12,000 years ago causing the sea levels to rise over 300 hundred feet (the rise of the sea level is documented). Many of the cities and settlements are under water waiting to be discovered.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
America B.C.

Perhaps the same thing as Atlantis but its true.

Celts, Iberian, Libyans and Egyptian writing from Main to
Oklahoma, Louisiana to Canada indicate a B.C. presence.

Ships of Tarshish, mentioned at least three times in the bible,
were ocean going.

Celtic writing was digital with the number of lines for different
letters and had corresponding Latin meanings. The fall of
Rome 55 A.D. apparently stopped the trade to America.
A Roman calendar adjustment had already been updated
in America.

So the land beyond the Atlantic Ocean was well known to a
few, most notably Spain and Portugal who set Columbus
a sail.

top topics

join