It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winning Hearts and Minds: U.S. Troops Mistreat Elder Iraqi woman

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   
This is not an isolated incident. This is systemic. DOn't come hewre saying that these were the foul acts of a few because I KNOW YOU ARE LYING. This is the worst. This is worse than the homosexual torture. Its pathetic. How can I be proud of our troops when they act worse than Nazis! YOU PEOPLE NEED TO FACE THE TRUTH! THE REST OF THE WORLD IS!

U.S. Troops Mistreat Elder Iraqi woman

By SUE LEEMAN, Associated Press Writer

Wed May 5, 2004: LONDON - U.S. soldiers who detained an elderly Iraqi woman last year placed a harness on her, made her crawl on all fours and rode her like a donkey, Prime Minister Tony Blair 's personal human rights envoy to Iraq said Wednesday.

The envoy, legislator Ann Clwyd, said she had investigated the claims of the woman in her 70s and believed they were true....

The abuse occurred last year in Baghdad's Abu Ghraib prison and at another coalition detention center, Clwyd said.

"She was held for about six weeks without charge," the envoy told Wednesday's Evening Standard newspaper. "During that time she was insulted and told she was a donkey. A harness was put on her, and an American rode on her back."

Clwyd said the woman has recovered physically but remains traumatized.

www.informationclearinghouse.info...

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Then, you get upset when they burn our gius over there to a crisp. Ever wonder why? Ever heard of action and reaction? Cause and effect?

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
like a donkey,

I guess they really made an ass out of themselves.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Do you expect us to believe this load of crap?

A 70 year old Iraqi woman is rode like a donkey last year, and yet makes a full recovery?

I don't think that any 70 year old could have a adult on their back and not suffer some kind of break or other injury that could be checked out. No one mentions in the article whether or not they performed a check for such evidence. My guess is they did not since that would prove that it never happened.

BTW Colonel, how come you never bring up how they mistreated POWs long before we were ever accused of the same crime?

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ashley
like a donkey,

I guess they really made an ass out of themselves.

I don't know why, but I found this funny.

Back to the topic. That is very horrible if indeed it is true. Any word on the follow up on this story, if it is actually real or what? That would be great, Colonel.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 12:36 PM
link   
If this is indeed true it is definitely despicable and makes my stomach turn. It is deplorable and reflects negatively on all of our forces over there.
That being said however, no sane person would make the argument that because of the several documented cases that have come out, this DEFINITELY means that ALL of our troops act in this manner as The Colonel is suggesting. It's simply not a cogent argument.

At least 1-2 times a week I see stories on the news where 1 African-American man shoots another. Well then obviously ALL African-Americans own guns and systematically shoot one another, right Colonel?
As for our troops being WORSE than the Nazis? Good God, please don't try to make that argument to a holocaust survivor.

Colonel, I disagree with your politics but PLEASE start making statements based upon fact. Everyone wouldn't flame you so mercilessly if you laid out thought out, calm, and logical arguments. Please stop trying to incite other members. This why people call for your title of moderator to be stripped.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   
And yet Colonel there is no outcry from you when US contractors are multialted and thieir bodies hung off bridges, or them being beheaded and the tape shown so more of these weak-minded indivuals will join their cause.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Will the Colonel devote as much outrage to this?

www.cnn.com...

I doubt it.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Or will you provide any of your keen insight to this?

www.operationiraqichildren.org...

Nahhhh...

[Edited on 11-5-2004 by Homer Jay]

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Homer, if Iknow Colonel he will post some rhetoric about Bush and dodge the question and eventualy blame Bush for the creation of nuclear warfare or for somehting irrelevant.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Colonel is a perfect example of why America is as messed up as it is today. The problem with him is he only knows how to hate and place blame. Its everyone elses fault that an individual has a certain problem. Everyone else besides the individual is guilty. Thats his mentality.

What he needs to realize is that he is the cumulative result of the decisions HE has made in his life. He also needs to realize that he is an extremist, and a communist.

I would give him more credit if he admitted that.

As far as the troops in Iraq......calling me a liar when I say that not all of them pull the highly publicised stunts that we see on the news everyday is wrong. You see, not all of our troops are participating in these acts, and I am not convinced all of these acts are wrong. I am against the sexual abuse, but honestly, just about everything else I see happening over there is ok in my opinion. Maybe I don't have the full story. Even so, I know that most men and women over there are not as described by Colonel. He is off base in that assumption. People like colonel intentionally instigate problems (such as racism) on a large scale.

I think that everyone who assumes that all men and women over in Iraq are causing problems like this are ill informed, and cannot think for themselves. Colonel is a perfect example of someone who knows nothing but repeats everything.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Well according to the article:

"Clwyd said the Iraqi woman was arrested in Iraq in July and accused of having links to a former member of Saddam Hussein's regime � a charge she denied"

Of course she denied it! Just who was this woman? His mother? Was she innocent, maybe. Was she guilty, more than likely. I see the US Government thought so. They arrested her. Good for them.

Just exactly how do you think these solders are supposed to extract information from these enemy prisoners? Refuse them an extra blanket?

Just what makes you think this woman was so innocent? Her age? There are a lot of evil people in the world that are her age. They have a lot more guts than a lot of the current politically correct pansy ass generation growing up today that dont even have the balls to fight for their country.

As far as her claims go so what? The problem with this whole scandal over prison conditions is becoming way over blown. I think some bad things were done mostly involving the deaths, that's discusting and boils down to a lack of leadership, but all this whining about these enemy prisoners being mistreated by being rode like donkeys and all this other stuff about insulting them by forcing then to be naked and all, I say tough! They were/are in prison for the most part for a good reason.

This talk about mistreatment comes from the same people for the most part that spat on our troops when they came home from the Nam all shot up and called them baby killers and all. Notice you never hear about the lives that were saved do to the extraction of information from these prisoners?

The only mistake other than the extremes involved in this scandal like the prisoners that were beaten to death is IMHO the fact that cameras were allowed in the prison to take the pictures. This has caused our troops do be in harms way and if anyone should be charged with treason it is the solders that took the pictures and allowed the media to get their hands on them.

To bad for the old woman. Like I said before, War is hell, if it wasn't hell then it would be called happy fun time!

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TexasConspiracyNut
Just exactly how do you think these solders are supposed to extract information from these enemy prisoners? Refuse them an extra blanket?

No, they ride old women like donkeys, make them perform sex acts, threaten to electrocute them, attach things to their genitals....etc etc etc

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
It's a load of crap if you ignore the news.

U.S. Troops Mistreat Elder Iraqi woman

Same article. Wonder where they got it? Attack the Colonel all you want, but he still stands correct, at least on this issue.

Something seems to be going on. The reason that outrage is not poured into our victims is because this is what we expect from them. They hate us.

We are the "moral majority" coming in to save the day and make the world safe for people.

But wait...

We're screwin' the pooch here.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shoktek

Originally posted by TexasConspiracyNut

No, they ride old women like donkeys, make them perform sex acts, threaten to electrocute them, attach things to their genitals....etc etc etc

So you are implying that all of the detaining soldiers do this? Are you saying that using fear as an interogation tool is not a valid option? Are you saying that the soldiers in prison are not being treated with the same respect as US POW's? Are you saying that the soldiers in Iraq are to fight a war with restrictions that could get more of them killed?

I think that some of these acts are not isolated...such as scaring the prisoners and beating them. Just so happens that I think that our soldiers ought to be very forceful and inconsiderate to the detainees.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seapeople
I think that some of these acts are not isolated...such as scaring the prisoners and beating them. Just so happens that I think that our soldiers ought to be very forceful and inconsiderate to the detainees.

Well good thing we don't operate on what you think. What is going on is criminal.

If you'd like to make a push to end our pledge to the Geneva Conventions, then fine, but for now it is not allowed.

Either we play hardball or we play the good guys.

You can't do both.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Why is it that after I post an article from legitimate news sources, the usual repugnant suspects say no that I am lying and offer no one iota of proof in their rebuttal? Maybe you can take that one, KJ?

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel
Why is it that after I post an article from legitimate news sources, the usual repugnant suspects say no that I am lying and offer no one iota of proof in their rebuttal? Maybe you can take that one, KJ?

I think you bring a certain syile to this group that
I happen to like. I will most likely never agree with you and at times will hate your guts but I'm glad you're here. You keep us on our toes. Stand for what you believe in!

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Obviously, there are some people out of control over there and Rummy et al. need to reign them in. But this is still the exception more than the rule. As many have said before me don't blame the whole for the actions of the few.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel
Then, you get upset when they burn our gius over there to a crisp. Ever wonder why? Ever heard of action and reaction? Cause and effect?

So are you happy that they are doing the reaction??? Are you saying two wrongs make a right?

What ever happened to the Ghandi method of fighting back. It always works in the end and it makes one side look bad and the other good.

As it stands now, both sides look bad. So why do you look to make the other side look so much better than the US?

Are you happy that a mans head was chopped off? According to this line of thinking you are.

Oh well, an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth and Colonel is a happy man cause he thinks he proved a point.

You never look at things objectively. You only look to see how things can make the US and Bush look bad and you then explain how everyone else is great and deserves to kick in our teeth.

At least I will admit that the US has made mistakes. I just don't think they need to be followed by even worse acts of evil. Hell, I think that people in the Middle East have been doing this to themselves for some time now.

Enjoy US failures and deaths while you can Colonel. I hope you get enjoyment out of such things. I know it deeply troubles me to see our men and women over there but I do believe it will be better for Iraq in the end. The majority wont realize it until we are gone but things will be better for the people come that time and thanks in large to the US.

[Edited on 11-5-2004 by Mandalorianwarrior]

[Edited on 11-5-2004 by Mandalorianwarrior]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join