It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mission: Mason

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Sitting on the computer one day I realized something. I took a quick smell of the air and put my fingers to the keyboard. Going to Google I thought, what should I look up. Tired of looking up my country I decided it was time to dig into being a mason. Soon I began to realize I would like to join the group. A few days later the news reported a man killed who was participating in becoming a mason. I forgot about until today. Quietly lurking aroun ATS I decided it was time to become a Mason. I continue to work on becoming a mason. So here are a few questions you can help me on.

1. Is join Masonary 100% safe?
2.Do you suggest Zuzubar joins?
3. Does anyone know a lot about Masons? 30th or higher rank for example.

Suggestions: Feel free to share your expirences as a Mason to me. There probably isn't many masons around here but I wouldn't mind hearing some stories.

Should I begin to join?

Know about Masons? Do you want to help me on my quest?
Then guide Zuzubar to Masonary!

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   
www.glmasons-mass.org...

If your profile is accurate simply sit back and click the link and on the road to be traveling man. The site will give you the jurisdiction requirements (age, etc) each state is a little different, and some background info they feel is pertinent. as to your questions:

1. Yes, the incident you reference is so far out of the bounds of Masonry I can't even fathom (Hanging out with former NBA star Jason Williams?).
2. That�s up to you and must be of your own free will and accord.
3. As previous discussions on ATS have demonstrated; there are some knowledgeable brothers who contribute faithful testament to the order (Masonic Light, Masked Avatar, JCMinJapan, et al) . The presumption that a number (like 30th degree) is indicative to a person's knowledge is incorrect. some bodies, like the York Rite have no numerical system for their hierarchy; besides the Sublime Degree of Master Mason (3rd Degree) IS the highest degree that can be conferred upon you or anyone else.

Hope this was of some help on your journey East.

[Edited on 6-5-2004 by Mirthful Me]

[Edited on 6-5-2004 by Mirthful Me]

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   

yes, yes and yes (but don't expect answers). if you go in and see it's not for you, you can leave. simple as that , it's not the skull and bones or anything. if very interested just ask a local mason for a petition and you will begin your journey. don't try and research much (expecially on the internet!) most of the stuff you here is baloney.

[Edited on 6-5-2004 by Strigoi]

[Edited on 6-5-2004 by Strigoi]

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zuzubar
Sitting on the computer one day

[deletia]

Quietly lurking aroun ATS I decided it was time to become a Mason.

Congratulations on an excellent decision. You'll never regret it.

Bro. "Mirthful Me" seems to have addressed your desire in a useful way... find the website for your local Grand Lodge and go from there. My grand lodge (www.freemasons.ab.ca...) also has links to (I believe) every other recognised GL. I'm sure you can find a good lodge near you (and if you're Canadian, make sure to choose a Canadian Rite lodge, not a York Rite one (little Canadian Mason in-joke there, sorry
))

I continue to work on becoming a mason. So here are a few questions you can help me on.

Absolutely. There is nothing in Masonry of any danger to you, despite the jokes we sometimes make to new candidates about goats etc. Not only that, but as a Freemason you will never be asked to do anything that will conflict with your religious or social duties (including your duties as a citizen, father, etc.) I would go so far as to say that any organisation that asks you to do anything contrary to religious or social freedom is non-masonic (although that is only my opinion).

Masonry is not for everyone. Albert Pike (to my mind, the greatest Masonic Philosopher in history) once wrote that Masonry has no place for the idler and the drone. The Mason has an obligation to improve himself and the world. If a man is unwilling to live a moral life and do what he can to serve God and his fellow creatures, he should not become a Mason (in my mind).
Essentially, what I'm saying is that if you want to do the above, you should become a Mason, and you'll never regret it. If you simply want to join out of curiosity or because you have the misconceived idea that Masons control the world or something, then the order is probably not for you.

I've seen so much talk here about so-called 33rd degree Masons and the like that I hope you'll indulge me if I use this as somewhat of a soap-box.

Freemasonry itself only has 3 degrees. That's it. A Freemason can only be a 3rd degree Freemason. There is no "higher" rank. You can become a Master of a lodge or even Grand Master, but those are only administrative titles. Ultimately, you are still a 3rd degree Mason. I am proud to say that I am a 3rd degree Mason, and I hope I have lived up to the honour of that title.
Now, there are some other organisations that require that you be a 3rd degree Mason before you join... they are called Concordant bodies, and include such things as (the popular) Scottish Rite, the York Rite proper, the Order of the Eastern Star, the Shrine, and (the less popular) Societas Rosicruciana in Anglia, the Tall Cedars of Lebanon, and the Grotto. They have ranks of their own, which are irrelevant within Freemasonry proper. I myself think that the Concordant bodies have a lot to offer, and am proud to say that I have the 32nd degree of the Scottish Rite, the degree of Royal Arch Mason, and will soon be joining the Societas Rosicruciana in Anglia.

I'd like to talk about two of these bodies for a moment.

The Scottish Rite
The Scottish Rite is a body with 32 "ordinary" degrees and one "honourary" one. The first three degrees of Freemasonry are also considered the first three of the Scottish Rite (although the S.R. has its own first three degrees, but they've never been given in North America to my knowledge). This, along with a hoax by one Leo Taxil implying that 30th, 31st, 32nd, and 33rd degree S.R. Masons are satanists, has led some people to speculate that the "higher" degrees have some sort of dark purpose. I'm a 32nd degree SR Mason, and I tell you right now this is (politely) poppycock. I am a Christian, and I hope a good citizen. I have several friends who are 33rd degree Masons and they are all deeply religious and are very dedicated to the betterment of humanity and humanity's situation. I am also fairly good friends with the Soverign Grand Commander of the SR for all of Canada, and he is also a deeply religious Christian, and truly dedicated to the principle of Charity (as per I Corinthians 13:13). Some people will inevitably say that as I am a 32nd degree SR Mason, I must be lying and nothing I say can be trusted. There's truly no way I can argue with this. As a religious man and a human being I tell you that it is the honest truth that the SR means no harm to anyone, only to promote the happiness on mankind.

The York Rite (proper)
This includes the degrees up to Royal Arch, the Cryptic Council, and the degrees up to Masonic Knight Templar. I am a Royal Arch Mason (VI degree in the Canadian system, because we have no virtual Past Master degree), and I give you the same assurance that I gave about the Scottish Rite. Some very upset and confused individuals pick out one word used by some Royal Arch chapters and claim that it is our name for God. This is of course nonsense. I personally believe that the true "name" of God is ineffable, and to call God by a name except for purposes of theological discussion is blasphemous. This is of course my own opinion. I once again assure you that I am a Christian, and I worship the same God as all other Christians (and, to my mind, the same God worshipped by Muslims and Jews, but some Christians disagree with me). No Masonic organisation has ever done anything other than strengthen my religious faith.

I vainly hope that the above will change the minds of some people who have the unfortunate idea that some Masonic organisations are up to something wrong. If it convinces even one person, I will be happy.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   

What an interesting question to see on my first visit.

I have to agree with the earlier posters.

All I can add is that I am a past Master in Craft and Royal Arch. I have never regretted a day in Masonry since I joined.
I have met some wonderful people, laughed and cried with many great friends.
But if your looking for any guarantees, they are not there, you get out of Freemasonry exactly what you put in.

The incident you refer to with regard to the shooting was not a Masonic meeting, it was a fringe meeting which was in a Masonic hall. Everyone involved has been suspended from Masonry untill the matter has been investigated thoroughly. With 6,000,000 Masons worldwide your have got to get the occasional bad Cookie.

I know a number if 32nd degree Masons, to be honest they would have trouble organising their own lunch box, let alone subdueing six million men.

I will join an order in Masonry next year. I will jump to 18th degree in one night. I will still not hold a higher rank just a different one. Master Mason 3rd degree is the highest rank.

You seem to have a number of Masons on the forum , but if I can add anything , just whistle I will be around somewhere.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I would have to agree with the posters here on masonry. I am a master mason as well and really enjoy it. My father was a mason and my mother in the Eastern Star. I would suggest going to a lodge and just talk with them. You will not be coerced into joining. My father told me that IF or When I am ready to let him know and he will point me in the right direction. That is all. It took over 10 years for me to decide, but I finally decided to check it out. I am very happy now that I did. It is entirely safe, as others pointed out, you will not be asked to do anything that goes against religous beliefs or social/moral beliefs as well.

As I memtioned earlier, it is good to go and talk as you will really be able to get the vibes of the people when you talk in person. After all, we are only human and you should feel comfortable with the people that you will attend lodge with. After you talk with them, i would go home and think about it for a bit and decide if it is really in your heart to join. Then contact them again if you decide to join and they will put you in touch with someone that will petition for you to join, if you do not know some. You will have to meet with this person and talk about yourself in general. The requirements are legal age, high morals and virtues, and believe in a supreme being... god, allah, etc etc etc.... that is a personal choice ... During my petition they told me not to say my religion, but just did I believe in a supreme being. Not sure if it is the same everywhere or not, but in my lodge that is how they do it. One of the main things i liked about it was during my pre-joining meetings with them, I was told that you are not allowed to talk about religous or political subjects when in lodge, as these subjects are very close to people and can cause the most problems between people. I really liked that idea. But, basically just check it out.. sorry for rambling...

I agree with the others, there are no degrees above 3rd degree. Once a Master Mason, you are on equal terms of anyone in Masonry. The other degrees are just honorary degrees. I belong to Scottish FreeMasonry, not the Scottish rite. The scottish rite is in america and they have the honory are degrees in terms of 18th and 32nd etc.... So, it sounds liket the degrees just get larger, but not so. In scottish masonry we go off the York rite. But, 3rd is still the highest. But, doing the higher levels is great for understanding masonry and all there is to it.

Sorry so long, but I hope that this adds a little insight into the already excellent posts.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Sorry to post again... I was searching some information and came across this site.... www.geocities.com... This may be of interest to you.

Hope it explains something more...

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Solid link JCM, I hope that some of the curious and potential members take a look.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 01:45 AM
link   
but, one question...

what of the lies perpetuated, in reference to the origen of all that is, relating to initiations and past civilizations?

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Try starting a new thread.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
Try starting a new thread.

Why start a new thread? whats wrong with 1

[Edited on 7-5-2004 by drunk]

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 03:34 AM
link   
The Masons have all the things I was looking for when I used to go to church and I have not(knowingly) met a freemason. I need to get on board.

[Edited on 7-5-2004 by jrod]

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by foolishbeing
but, one question...

what of the lies perpetuated, in reference to the origen of all that is, relating to initiations and past civilizations?

What lies? Could you explain this a bit more?

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
The Masons have all the things I was looking for when I used to go to church and I have not(knowingly) met a freemason. I need to get on board.

You have to be clear of one thing, dude.
Masonry is not a church or a religion. Some of the guys I know do use it as a substitute for going to church, but that's a personal thing for them alone.
Don't expect to join masonry and get preached to as in church or have everyone agree with you that your god is exactly the same as theirs. There are many faiths and creeds within masonry and it is up to each man to make his own mind up about God.

You will be joining a body of like-minded men, but freemasons don't discuss religion in lodge.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 04:22 AM
link   
not necessarily lies on the part of the expression of masonry;

well ill explain; i have been reading morals and dogma, a good book nonetheless, and there are subtleties throughout that point in the direction of KMT, yet do not touch uppon it: further Mr. pike uses terms such as thrice removed from barbarish in his interpretation of "negroes". i know this person does not speak for all of masonry, yet; even my grandfather who was a mason and grandmother scoff at me when i attempt to bring up the wisdom of the ages from the civilization known as KMT or Khemet Kamit or the land of the blacks; Mr. pike even so bodly attempts to associate and teach that this word and its derivitaves are meaning white or noble: attemptedly drawing a contrast to the "truth" as percieved in this vector.

really when it comes down to the come down; i love you all, and all including those who love me not: because i love myself, yet how is the perpetuation of "lies" white or black big or small going to bring me closer to the love i have for another.
i can see things. and i see that my ancestors as well as my self have a degree of selfish pride that one should overcome in greater acceptance of others, i just find it painfull that the methods used to teach me this lesson meant that the world would turn its back on that which was, and paint that which is in a despotic fashion.

if the question sounded accusatory, please forgive as i am moreso to blame as anyone else.

thanks for taking the time out to read and reply...

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 05:28 AM
link   
www.touregypt.net...

KMT, Egypt, the ancients. Romantic theory but is it practial. Nothing else remains from these far off days apart from some half buried buildings and a lot of sand.

Yet somehow Freemasonry has survived, well you may be right, Pike made reference to the ancient mystic rights I believe. I am not an owner of Morals and Dogma, but there is quite a lot on the internet. Very difficult book to follow. It would seem Pike took his readers on a mystery tour through his own theoretical thinking.

He made this clear with the preface :
In the preface of Morals and Dogma Pike gave a disclaimer (which is often overlooked by the anti-Masons), which states that anyone is free to accept or reject his thoughts. Pike did not pretend that he was writing for all of Masonry. No one writer can speak for all of Masonry.

An amazing individual, he was totally self taught.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
i am in no way anti masonic; if anything i am in no way anti anything. but thanks for the reply...

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
This stuff just gets more interesting.
I believe I will join the masons. I can't wait to join the masons. This will be a very educational journey and it will hopefully enlighten me. I appreciate the information

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Albert Pike believed that the ancient Aryans were the source of our modern religious and political beliefs. He wrote two books on the subject: �Lectures on the Indo-Aryans� and �Lectures on the Irano-Aryans.� The word �aryan� is from the Zend Sanskrit, meaning �noble.�
It appears that while Pike based his theories in historical facts, he nevertheless fell victim to the lack of academic scholarship on the subject that was prevalent in his day. The Rig Veda, which was eventually adopted as a sacred book by the Hindus, is our only reliable source of authentic Aryan religion; it appears on its surface to be polytheistic, although Pike was convinced that this was only symbolism, and that the Aryans were actually monotheistic. In fact, in Pike�s version of the 32� of Masonry, the Ritual features three Vedic Poets who explain just that.
Pike seems to have been correct that the Aryans separated into two different tribes, eventually evolving into the Hindus and Persians. The Persians, Pike believed, preserved the Aryan religion in its purity, through the Magi, and through the Persian faith of the Zend Avesta, i.e., Zoroastrianism. Pike�s major criticism of the Zoroastrian Persians was their introduction of dualism into religious dogma, which he believed was afterward adopted by Christianity and Mithraism.
Pike believed it was the Hindus who inspired the early Egyptian religions and idolatries, but believed these had been somewhat purified by Abraham and the Hebrew Patriarchs. Pike also believed that the Jewish captives in Babylon became familiar with the doctrines of the Magi, and later Hebraized those doctrines in the Kabbalah. From this, Pike believed, emerged Masonic philosophy.
Of course, many historians, both Masons and non-Masons, have disagreed with Pike on this. Personally, I think Pike�s history of religion is generally correct, but I do not agree with him that Masonry was a lineal succession of those Mysteries. It seems much more likely that such mysticism was introduced into Masonic Rites much later (the 18th century) simply because the fraternity had members who were interested in such things.

Fiat Lvx.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light
Albert Pike believed that the ancient Aryans were the source of our modern religious and political beliefs. He wrote two books on the subject: �Lectures on the Indo-Aryans� and �Lectures on the Irano-Aryans.� The word �aryan� is from the Zend Sanskrit, meaning �noble.�

[deletia]

This is an excelllent post, IMHO, but I thought it should be added that Albert Pike, just like most people in that era, meant by "Aryan" the same thing that is now meant by the word "Indo-European." In fact, as far as I understand, the only reason we now use "Indo-European" is because of the incorrect connotations with the word "Aryan" brought about by the stupidity and madness of the Nazis.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join