It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sandstorms plague Iraq and are getting worse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Sandstorms plague Iraq and are getting worse

news.yahoo.com

Accented on the second syllable, that means the ill wind that blows in summer across Iraq , and other countries in the region, stirring sandstorms in its wake.

Vice President Joe Biden found out late last week what 25 million Iraqis have known for a long time-everybody talks about them, but nobody can do anything about them. His chopper flight from a U.S. base to the International Zone was canceled when a shamal turned the skies over Baghdad and beyond the same color as Biden's khaki desert boots.

He wound up donning body armor and a helmet for a caravan to his meetings with Iraqi leade
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Three in Diyala Province this week, where 800 others were hospitalized with breathing and related ailments. Dr. Jeleel al Shammeri, head of the health department in Karkh in west Baghdad , said 13 major hospitals and 84 clinics had received several thousand patients over the last two days, many of them children. Dr. Ali Bustan , head of the health department in Rusafa in eastern Baghdad , said ERs had taken in 800 to 900 patients since Saturday night. "Thank God, we have not run out of medication," he said.

Sandstorms pose diplomatic as well as medical and weather problems. Baghdad negotiators are locked in a battle with Istanbul over how much water from the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers — which start in Turkey — its neighbor is willing to release to the southwest for Iraqi farms and factories. A lack of irrigation water has caused thousands of acres of agricultural land to dry up. Just this week, the government signed an agreement with an Iranian delegation to limit such "desertification."

Sandstorms and their duststorm cousins are nothing new in these parts, of course. Iraq averages only 4 to just over 6 [ inches of rainfall a year. The Sahara Desert, which is the size of the United States , is just a short jet stream hop to the west. Iraq itself is half desert.

Well there you go. The War in Iraq has turned the country into a dust bowl.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Hell, sandstorms are the norm in Iraq. It is, after all, a bit of a desert there. Heh. Joe Biden's khaki desert boots. Heh heh. I received my khaki desert boots the day I boarded the plane from Iraq to the U.S. Oh, and got my desert Hershey's candy bar at the same time. I ROTFL laughing at all this. Isn't it interesting that it took weeks for us to receive ammunition by boat, while we sat in Saudi Arabia, with 13 divisions of Iraq units staring us down across the border. Yet, upon arrival in Saudi Arabia, my unit, the 24th Inf Div (Mech), traded in our Abrams tanks that we brought with us, in for brand new Abrams tanks, the A2's in record time. Heh. Ya know it's all orchestrated, yes? Did I spell that right? Oh, we aren't worried about some sort of border dispute. Eh? What TF? You invaded our little buddy, Kuwait? What is a Kuwait, I asked?
Oh, we gotta go save these little fellers who are such great allies? Ut oh,I might be off topic here and on a rant. Sandstorms? There's no sandstorms in a desert!! Just like there's no beetles that crawl towards your crap when you drop a load in the desert.
My apologies to everyone. But I ain't taking it back.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

That was one of the better rants I have heard on this site

Dont blame the US for Iraq having sand storms they are a NATURAL part of Iraq, Just like in the US we have Hurricanes or tornadoes.

If anyone is to blame its turkey, but this is what the next great war will be fought over WATER.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Desolate Cancer
reply to post by kyred

If anyone is to blame its turkey, but this is what the next great war will be fought over WATER.

I would say that water is immensely more valuable than oil, coal, or plutonium!

When all the precious metals and fossil fuels are used up, we will still need WATER!!! Good Call!

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Sandstorms are seasonal and happen every year in the Middle East.

new topics

top topics

join