It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clashes in Honduras as ousted president tries to return

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Clashes in Honduras as ousted president tries to return

edition.cnn.com

TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras (CNN) -- Honduran troops used tear gas and fired shots into the air to hold back protesters at Tegucigalpa's airport Sunday evening ahead of an attempted return by deposed President Jose Manuel Zelaya, injuring at least one person, protest organizers said.

1 of 3 Soldiers lined barricades surrounding the airport in expectation of confrontations between Zelaya and his supporters and the provisional government that has vowed to keep him from coming back from a weeklong exile.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Wow that's pretty insane. So much ruckus in this day and age, and coup no less by the military.

The leftist Zelaya was ousted in a military-led coup on the same day he planned to follow through with a referendum that the courts and the congress had ruled illegal and that the military said it would not support. The Honduran Congress voted to strip Zelaya of his powers and named Micheletti as provisional president.

A little background if you haven't been keeping up with the story. I have a question though, the interim government that's in place, can they try him for anything?

Can they arrest him and hold him?

I wonder what will become of this man who was once at a seat of power.

Any thoughts ATS? I'm not very well versed in the history of Honduras.

~Keeper

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

"1 of 3 Soldiers lined barricades"

so it's saying they had 1 person lining a barricade out of the 3 soldiers that held back the "mob" ?

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   

It was not a coup. If it was a coup the military would have held on to power, and the former president would be formerly alive. It's comical to hear in a region that dislikes US interference someone wants us to get involved. It just says "I don't like you interfering unless it's for my cause"

Side note what funny kinda of tit for tat will be this one fellow Gemini? It appears two years makes quite the yin-yang! Check my profile for the giggle.

[edit on 5-7-2009 by hangedman13]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR

"1 of 3 Soldiers lined barricades"

so it's saying they had 1 person lining a barricade out of the 3 soldiers that held back the "mob" ?

It's saying that 1 of 3 soldiers has vowed to not let the former president back into his former country. It's worded weirdly, they apparently don't know how to use appositives...

edit: NEVERMIND. Reading the actual article, the OP accidentally copied the picture caption into the article. Take out the "1 of 3," and it makes sense.

[edit on 5-7-2009 by Highground]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I dunno. Seems pretty strange to me that a president gets ousted for trying to get his people to vote. And then thats painted as a destruction of democracy.

top topics

join