It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Must Ban New Coastal Building. NOW.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
550.000 homeless in Asia isnt a big deal, so Im guessing this is small talk too..

Source link here

Florida Must Ban New Coastal Building. NOW.
Written by Mark Weaver on 2 March 2009 — Leave a Comment This week’s disturbing Mark Weaver Show (2/28) features University of Miami Geological Sciences Professor Hal Wanless, also co-chair of the Miami-Dade Task Force on Climate Change. Listening to Dr. Wanless, and virtually the entire scientific community, you can’t help but conclude that the Florida Legislature needs to ban all new construction in low lying coastal areas this session. If we allow continued building in areas that are almost certain to be under water within one hundred years, and perhaps much sooner if some disturbing trends are accelerating (about which, below), we are setting ourselves up for a coastal real estate financial and insurance meltdown similar to the current financial collapse. The Big Question is, who’s going to pay for rising flood insurance claims and worthless coastal property as it begins to flood more often and slowly goes under water? Answer: insurance customers and the mortgage holders and banks as coastal owners walk away from their mortgages and file for bankruptcy. This could be the banking/insurance crisis of 2030.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
For some reason humans love doing the dumbest things, like building and rebuilding and rebuilding again at the waters edge, in cases of cities like New Orleans even below sea level!

Whether it's ignorance or arrogance, vanity or insanity it's been going on for tens of thousands of years and I am sure that if one day humankind ever develops a serious underwater archeological ability it will discover quite a few lost settlements and cities buried a few miles off of ever changing coast lines.

Personally I have a funny feeling ALL of FLorida is going to end up under water if their is a polar magnetic shift.

Doesn't stop me from living in Miami! Like I said humans are dumb.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Don't need to ban building on the coasts. Just let the builders and buyers know, there will be NO bailout if the oceans rise. Dumb butts. I knew even as a child not to build on a steep hill, not to build along a river that floods from time to time, etc.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

My friends said the ocean is rising faster than what is being said they say feet not inches allready...he lives in Florida too. Can you confirm ?

Also seen on Fox I think a little segment about Galveston was sinking. Or should they say "Ocean is rising"?

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Galveston is sinking at two feet per century. It is thought that its a combination of oil extraction, normal compaction, and the slow slide via fault into the Gulf of Mexico.

Don't forget, when Galveston Island was hit with a hurricane in 1900, then 8000 people died. Imagine what will happen now, with it sinking. Two more feet means that a Cat 1 storm will flood the island.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grayelf2009

My friends said the ocean is rising faster than what is being said they say feet not inches allready...he lives in Florida too. Can you confirm ?

Also seen on Fox I think a little segment about Galveston was sinking. Or should they say "Ocean is rising"?

I honestly don't have the scientific ability or equipment to confirm that the ocean is rising higher and faster than scientists claim.

I can honestly tell you that there is a tremendous amount of beach errosion on the Atlantic side of South Florida.

However having said that, Miami Beach where I live, like most of the Coastal Strips of land south of Palm Beach are all man made by the Army Core of Engineers who constructed them to be man made barrier islands to both protect the mainland of Florida from direct tidal surges from Hurricanes and to create the Inter Coastal Waterway for deep water shipping and pleasure craft to have calm navigable bodies of water moving up and down and in and out of the coast to port and sea.

Because islands like Miami Beach are man made it could be harder to quantify what's 'sinking' and what's 'rising', if it's one versus the other, or both at play and how much of each.

Areas north of Palm Beach especially north of the Jupiter Inlet would be the best area to study or up around Flagler Beach just south of Jacksonville.

There is very serious beach errosion though which has been worsening dramtically in the past few years starting with 4 years ago when Florida was hit by an unprecedented number of criss crossing hurricanes in one year.

I wish I could be more help to you, but that is what I can share with you.

Thanks for asking.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I live on the Georgia coast and have spent most of my life visiting beaches from Myrtle Beach, SC down to Palm Beach, Florida.

Every time a hurricane goes by anywhere near me I run to the ocean to watch the weather.

At 16 in 1963 I began my hurricane watching in all seriousness. I watched the ocean claim land and homes on St. Simon's Island, Georgia.

It is a humbling experience to watch nature take 100 year old buildings and take the remnants out to sea. We would ride our surf boards right up to the site until the coast guard ran us off. We were definitely young and fearless(dumb) at that age.

I've seen yards of beach disappear from in front of the King and Prince Hotel on St. Simons.

It is still happening today up and down the southern coast.

It doesn't take the mind of a scientist to see the results of beach erosion.

We are loosing coastline not only to rising waters but to the natural process of beach erosion.

By the way, my coastal property is For Sale lol. This is not an add just the truth. Gotta sell it before it disappears.

[edit on 5-7-2009 by dizziedame]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

I think this goes to saving lifes also, not just about money.
And regardless global warming or climate change, the oceans will rise the coming years, it is just not set and 'date' on it ....Hehe officially that is.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Funny thing is that I found an article where a company are pushing for aproval of drilling around that area..
I didnt think much about it so I didnt save the link, but later it struck me, about the Cleburne quakes and in some other place in texas, are they drilling to make earthqukes ???

Im just thinking that BlueBeam would be pretty convincing with quakes all over ..

top topics

join