It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is The Christian God A Bit of A Psychopath?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Water-tastes-good

How is it all the men in that town wanted to have sex with the two angels? Was it because they loved them

And in order to prevent them having sex with the "visitors" he offers up his" virgin daughters for raping" instead.

Yes indeed folks the misogynous filth that is the the bibles runs deep very deep.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

Be not the one to cast the first stone. If I'm not going to believe in something, I better find out for myself. Sitting back criticizing a belief that you yourself do not know inside and out says a lot about your character. And really, my intent isn't to disprove or find anything to "use against" and I'm not particularly interested in contradictions, but so I can thoroughly understand people and be a better listener to those who do believe in these things. I'm also striving for wisdom and commonality, which is in the bible, just as it is everywhere. I don't have that junior high mentality anymore and I am mad at no one for believing anything. I've progressed from a staunch Atheist to and open agnostic, so to speak, and to find likeness with people is much more important to me at this point in my life than to be a undeserving critic.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   
God gives you free will so he is NOT a psycho.. See it gives us all the freedom to choose. Choose him, or burn in hellfire for eternity.. so see... you DO have a choice. oh---wait---
yup PSYCHO (as well as it's followers)

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Liberal1984

Hi Lib/

To cut you long POST short,God is not EVIL!
The evil comes from SATAN who began his hatred for God because he wanted to be God.
So, Satan thought he would go to the stupid humans who would do his dirty work and praise him at the same time.
Does the Devil love his stupid human followers?
Let's put it this way...if he's going down, he would sure like some company!

The Bible is very clear who man's ENEMY is!
Satan detests the very fact God made man and replaced the fallen angels with mankind!
He is the maker of deceit and most cunning thoughts...it's gets in the MIND of the individual who falls away from the Truth and seeks after what he cannot find.
The soul belongs to God and it searches in desperation for it's maker but unfortunately it cannot be found in one who was/is a LIAR from the Beginning!

ICXC NIKA
helen

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

Be not the one to cast the first stone. If I'm not going to believe in something, I better find out for myself.

Well then it should be a very simple process for you, you simply pick up one of the many bibles, read it and make the decision on whether you believe it or not.

Of course should you require someone else to explain to you what this or that in the bibles actually means, then you are clearly not finding out for yourself are you.

Believe what you wish my friend that is a right which above all else I would fight for you to keep.

Sitting back criticizing a belief that you yourself do not know inside and out says a lot about your character.

So how do you know I don't know this belief inside out, how did you come to this conclusion may I ask ?

Considering we are discussing a belief you make a very bold but unintelligent statement. Your statement in relation to a belief is no more valid than if you were to claim I do not know the subject of fairies inside out.

To then claim you can estimate my character from my critique of opinions in relation to the supernatural is quite vulgar.

And really, my intent isn't to disprove or find anything to "use against" and I'm not particularly interested in contradictions, but so I can thoroughly understand people and be a better listener to those who do believe in these things

Then obviously you don't care about facts, fine by me and if you just want to listen to other peoples opinions, again fine by me I don't really care, there are plenty of xtians that don't even pick up a bible and read it/them, they just believe what they are told, again fine by me go pray with them.

I'm also striving for wisdom and commonality, which is in the bible, just as it is everywhere.

If it is everywhere then why do you need a contradictory, erroneous book for wisdom, how do you differentiate the wisdom from the BS in the bibles ?

I don't have that junior high mentality anymore and I am mad at no one for believing anything. I've progressed from a staunch Atheist to and open agnostic, so to speak, and to find likeness with people is much more important to me at this point in my life than to be a undeserving critic.

So you just don't want to be different or left out, I can understand that. I felt like that once it's kinda hard not thinking like the herd.

Nevertheless I have piece of mind and I hope you find yours.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by helen670

The evil comes from SATAN who began his hatred for God because he wanted to be God.

If god is the creator of all that there is, ever was or will be, then there cannot be anything that is/was/or will be not created by god. God id the source of everything.

Clearly this so called evil that comes from satan is in fact a creation of god, it cannot be anything else.

In order for evil or satan for that matter, to not be created/designed by god would require something other than god. To have something other than god as the source of evil or satan is fine as long as we are prepared that god cannot then be the creator of all that there is, omniscient/omnipresent.

Sorry to say but you cannot have it both ways, either god created everything or god created some, which would mean more creators.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Well then it should be a very simple process for you, you simply pick up one of the many bibles, read it and make the decision on whether you believe it or not.

Of course should you require someone else to explain to you what this or that in the bibles actually means, then you are clearly not finding out for yourself are you.

It's not that cut and dry. There's wisdom everywhere, in every belief, and every aspect of life. This is something for so long I've made a mockery of, and I don't think I've given religion a fair shake, because as I was so quick to judge and make fun of it, I had never taken the time to learn about beliefs that for me were so easy to tear down. I was so adamant about my non-religious perspective without at all considering the entirety of another viewpoint. For now, I'm learning a lot about this culture and if that's all I take away with it (which so far, it's not) is a plus for me.

When I talk about having somebody help me understand, I don't mean logically, I mean regarding the langauge they use. I have an old bible that I was given by my grandparents, and it's of a fairly original english text version, and the way they speak is different than it is now. There's no "terminology scales" on the pages and I would like to learn the book without bull#ting my way through it.

Believe what you wish my friend that is a right which above all else I would fight for you to keep.

I know nothing about you, but from what I've experienced, I highly doubt you would.

So how do you know I don't know this belief inside out, how did you come to this conclusion may I ask ?

Because your anger and fervor give you away. If you had the ability to understand something, you wouldn't be so angry and you definitely wouldn't fear it. People with a vendetta always have those certain characteristics that they bring along with their grudge. I know I used to feel the same way towards religion, especially Christianity.

Considering we are discussing a belief you make a very bold but unintelligent statement. Your statement in relation to a belief is no more valid than if you were to claim I do not know the subject of fairies inside out.

Do you?

To then claim you can estimate my character from my critique of opinions in relation to the supernatural is quite vulgar.

I don't like when people use words that don't seem to fit the context. You don't have to tone it up for me, I promise. There's no reason you should feel threatened.

Then obviously you don't care about facts, fine by me and if you just want to listen to other peoples opinions, again fine by me I don't really care, there are plenty of xtians that don't even pick up a bible and read it/them, they just believe what they are told, again fine by me go pray with them.

What are the facts? And do you believe them to be your opinion? I feel that entire statement and most of your viewpoint to be highly egotistical. Because somebody does not feel the way you feel, does not make them wrong and vice versa. I agree there are many Christians who need to have a thorough once over of the book they claim to abide by, but who are you to be the judge of anybody, especially when all you are armed with are vague generalities? As if there is a side to be taken, a line to be drawn. Everybody should butt-out and mind their own and work hard to hold little resentment to people of which they do not know. You're even getting all aggressive for no reason. People don't pray to piss you off. People pray because maybe they feel they need to. Maybe it brings them relief. Is that any of your business? Ask yourself... Should that really get to you?

If it is everywhere then why do you need a contradictory, erroneous book for wisdom, how do you differentiate the wisdom from the BS in the bibles ?

What would be unwise is to degrade a belief without trying to understand it. Do I believe the bible is full of it? Absolutely. Were there people similar to you and I that had written in this book? You'd probably be surprised.

As far as wisdom in the bible, I'm finding this relevant to our discussion..

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

-Matthew 7:3

And like I said before, I want to go over Matthew over and over, as to seed some of his truths in my mind.

Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?
- Matthew 6:24-34

That right there, Atheist, Agnostic, Christian, Muslim is wise. Not only wise, but beautiful. For 2,000 years people have had the same exact concerns I have. Whether it be about money, clothing, shelter, bills, ect... To me, that is less divine than it is human and beautiful.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
- Matthew 19:24

I'm not looking at this with a religious tilt. I am not here to speak in tongues and to "feel" holyness. To me, this is early philosophy, which I believe to be important to where my beliefs fall in line. These are self-evident to me now and to matthew 2,000 years ago. Commonality. Common thought. Pretty interesting.

So you just don't want to be different or left out, I can understand that. I felt like that once it's kinda hard not thinking like the herd.

I promise you, for whatever that is worth that it has nothing to do with that, but my own growth in something I can only describe as "spirituatlity" because I have not a better word to describe it. And hopefully you'll understand that in a non-religious or even "spiritual" way, but recognize my own failure of description. I just feel as if I am open, and to know myself, and to know another is the most important thing in my life. For a long time, I was just as you were, drawing every sort of line between my belief and another's, you can verify that through my old threads and even recent posts as evidence of that. I'm not "that" right now, as much as I wish I was, but I do feel like I'm headed int he right direction. Or,

Judge not, that ye be not judged.
- Matthew 7:1

I've been headed this direction before I even read Matthew, but it connects with me on a human level. I don't necessarily believe the book was handed down to man by god, but gives me hope that these men in the guise of god had come upon infallible truths that we should all abide by. There's a lot of ridiculous writing in the bible, but that doesn't mean it is all bad and it definitely doesn't mean it's here to offend you so that you can war against it.

Nevertheless I have piece of mind and I hope you find yours.

I don't think you can find peace with that gnarly chip on your shoulder. If that's peace, I'm walking the other way.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Liberal1984

Yes!
How can a 'God' of unconditional love, be a Jealous God (as in the first commandment).
Anyway there are quite a few Gods in the Christian bible.
for example: 1) Yah Weh
2) Amen (probably the only true God amongst this motley crew,
3) Jesus the Christ ( whom is only a Jewish man prophet, that non-jews have been duped into worshipping as a God)

I'm sorry but no man, jewish or Not; is my God.

What a mixed up bunch of BS.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Comsence2075

Comsence said it very well.

How much of the bible is God's Word and how much of it is what people THINK is God's Word? We really know very little about God. But we know a lot about humans.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Hi mooc/

Yes, God is creator of the whole universe and of man and of spiritual beings,known as Angels
"Ancient of Days," he also saw that "A thousand thousands ministered to Him; and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before Him" (Daniel 7:10)...so we know there are numerous angels.
"There occurred a war in the heavens.
Michael and his angels fought against the dragon,
and the dragon and his angels fought against them.
However they did not prevail, and there was no room for them in heaven. The great dragon was cast down,
that ancient snake,
known as devil and satan … and his angels were also cast down with him" (Revelation 12:7-9).
Lucifer who was created all good.
He lost the war and was cast down and he became the Devil...he caused his own

Satan is also called "murderer from the beginning and the father of lies,"
If God created all with free will including all that was visible and invisible, and created it all good....then how can good be called evil and evil be called good?
We are told that anyone who commits SIN... is a slave of sin" (1 John 3:8; John 8:34).
To be a slave to sin means one is a slave of the devil.
"He who sins is from the devil,
because the devil himself sinned first … Anyone who commits sin is a slave of sin" (1 John 3:8; John 8:34)....There you go, Satan is who brought about sin.
Tell me, if a parent tells a child to not steal and the child does it, is it the fault of the parent, or is the fault of the child?

ICXC NIKA
helen

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

How much of the bible is God's Word and how much of it is what people THINK is God's Word? We really know very little about God. But we know a lot about humans.

But then how can you believe anything stated in the bible is God's word? If man tainted some then he could have tainted all? And no one can say for sure what is tainted and what is not? Just sounds like an explanation people give when someone points out something about God that they do not wish to acknowledge, then how can you trust in any of it? I'm not trying to play devil's advocate, this is a sincere question, this belief system mystifies me...

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage

Originally posted by FlyersFan

But then how can you believe anything stated in the bible is God's word? If man tainted some then he could have tainted all? And no one can say for sure what is tainted and what is not? Just sounds like an explanation people give when someone points out something about God that they do not wish to acknowledge, then how can you trust in any of it? I'm not trying to play devil's advocate, this is a sincere question, this belief system mystifies me...

Hi rapin/
I would rather believe in the LOGOS of God as truth,rather then some History book of what is taught in schools.
If the WORD of God is ,as you say 'tainted' how MORE SO is our HISTORY based on LIES?
Why should any of us then believe in HISTORY and it's books,was this not Written by man and mans word alone?
Why is it that History has been told differently in various countries, and yet the BIBLE has been not?
Im not talking about the OWN ideas of peoples OWN translation,but of it's proof and re-proof of the Scriptures themselves!
It mystifies me that people will believe in man's written books, and yet,look foolishly at the WORD of God!

ICXC NIKA
helen

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
How can mere humans try to claim they have ANY knowledge of GOD when they can't even grasp or master the human species?

We have so many different conflicting emotons and phases to our lives...
.......Love,hate,giving,greedy,seflish,compassionate,smart,dumb,srtrong, weak and the list goes on.

My point is if we can have many of these conflicting emotions simultaneously (which many of us do) which do nothing more than confuse us...how can we grasp omnipotent and omniscience power of a God/Creator?

With all of man's self proclaimed, infinite wisdom and knowledge, he can't even live peacably with other people of his own species and does nothing more than let his own emotions superscede his limited intelligence.

Try mastering your own physical,mental and spiritual being (which NOBODY on this planet has done) before you have claims of knowing how and why infinite power reacts in the way it does.

[edit on 6/7/2009 by Revealation]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman

How is it all the men in that town wanted to have sex with the two angels? Was it because they loved them

And in order to prevent them having sex with the "visitors" he offers up his" virgin daughters for raping" instead.

Yes indeed folks the misogynous filth that is the the bibles runs deep very deep.

It seems to me buddy you try to find something in the Bible you don't agree with then write it off as very "unreal" in your eyes so therefore it is stupid. I'm not trying to offend you man but were talking about the girls that soon later had "sex" with their own father. Not only that, how old were these girls? They could have been in their 30's for all we know. Anyway, ask the question, "why wouldn't Lot give up the two angels? Why would he care so much that he would give his daughters instead?" The only thing you see is that Lot is a sick and disturbing man for saying what he said and since it is wrong, God is sick and wrong too. Only vibe I get from you. What kind of stuff happens in today's society? Paedophiles around every corner I'd imagine. Anyway man, I'm just trying to brighten stuff up. I'm not meaning to be offensive and I'm not trying to sound smart. Just give you an idea of what went on in my head as I read the Bible. I'm still figuring it out too. Anyway, have a great day buddy.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

Well, after I read the foreword, the first five books in the Bible were written by Moses. Now, what gets me is Moses is not writing in first person but rather third person. Even when writing about himself it's in third person. Isn't it a bit odd? Anyway, my impression is this:

The first five books were written by Moses' hand. Yet when he was writing, God had possession over his body and wrote from there. Or, Moses had a vision and God was telling the story as Moses wrote it down. We will never know if the Bible was 'tainted' by man but it's a case that settles with either you believe it or you don't.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   

We will never know if the Bible was 'tainted' by man but it's a case that settles with either you believe it or you don't.
I think some of what Moses wrote was copied word for word. I think some of the books were recollections of events as witnessed and later recorded.
I think they can be considered trustworthy because it was a holy people who compiled the Bible. They knew better than to mess with the word, and kept their own opinions as separate oral traditions or writings.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   

I typically stay out of these conversations, because with an omnipotent God anything is possible. But did you get to Deuteronomy 34:7 yet? If Moses wrote it he wrote of his own death. Curious isn't it?

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

True, I remember it saying somewhere in Revelation that "whoever takes away from the 'Word of God', then they should be terrified" as it's a huge sin or some sort. Hope that applies to all the Bible and it would really stink to have that on your conscience wouldn't it? I need to re-read that book as I've only read it twice. Once last year and last January.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by theyreadmymind

Very curious. I also noticed that God seemed to be the only one present when he died. No one knows where Moses is buried yet God gives a *hint* Moab Valley. Kinda cool for God to bury your body when you think about it.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Rev 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
Rev 22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Don't do it! I'm warning you. I know you want to see the plagues.
To tell you the truth though, I always felt that these people who try to interpret the book of Revelation and then tell others that's what it really means are really doing exactly that. Also the ones who turn it into movies and fantasy novels. There's no way anyone really knows exactly how to interpret that book and if Revelation really happens there's going to be a lot of confused folks out there. It's just such a complicated and surreal book there's no way anybody really understands it. But I'm not one to judge or go off on my own crusade. If there is a God, this mass confusion must be all part of his plan.

Oh, by the way, I think those warnings only apply to the book of Revelation.

Yes, that is cool about God being the only one knowing about Moses. Very observant of you. But if God really did tell Moses what to write in the book, wouldn't that be a trip to know all those things that were going to happen including the year in which you were going to die?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join