It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Else's Cell Phone Turns Itself Off Without Warning? And Why?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I have a Motorola Razr, its about 2 years old and still using its original battery. Every so often, I'll check for messages (I don't carry it with me all the time) and find the phone shut itself off. Completely powered off all by itself. It has happened about five times in the last month. The last time, I had just recharged the battery about 30 minutes earlier. I'm starting to wonder if the digital switch has anything to do with it. I guess it could be my battery slowly dying. I'm no technology hound so I have no idea what the problem is.

I'm wondering if anyone else is having cell phone shut offs like this? It reminds me of my computer shuting itself off after a certain amount of time. If the phones are supposed to do that shouldn't it be in the manual? If it is, I'm blind cuz I can't find it.

Another thing about this cell phone, the screen is like a mirror when any light at all reflects off it. Trying to take outdoor pictures is pure guesswork. I can't see the screen unless I'm inside or its dark out. Weird. And a pain in the neck.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
you might have water in your mobile. my mobile was doing this for many weeks i took it in the the tech shop they opened it and said water was shorting it or something.
The man shown me some litmus paper which is fitted near my battery, the paper had turned pink which told me that water had got in

that could be a answer but i like your theory

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I'm thinking maybe the physical battery is somehow moving slightly and detaching from the electrical terminals. Have you tried to take the battery out and put it back in? Sometimes it's something really simple.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Nopes, that's a defect that's actually well known among Mobile Manufacturers.

I use to work in cell phones and it's one of two things. You got your Razor during it's trial period, which would make it a first generation. That means it's flawed hardware wise and software wise.

The second is you have some moisture damage, which you can check using the LDI (Liquid Damage Indicator) located on your battery or on the phone itself where the battery slides in.

It will usually be a round white sticker with a few red X's in it. If it's a solid pink or red, you have water damage, if you can see the X's, then it's fine.

Either way, junk it.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I used to have a Razr. Got rid of it. It would never hold a battery charge for long. No matter how many new batteries I bought. The phone was crap.

I now have a HTC Tilt and its awesome

I suggest you upgrade phones!

[edit on July 5th 2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by thecrow001

I'm pretty sure it hasn't gotten wet or been near moisture but its worth a check. Thanks.

I do wonder about that digital switch having something to do with it. Its some coincidence that it started happening around the same time. And the Dish signal gets all funny alot lately too.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

I hadn't thought of that but I'll try it and see if it helps. I seem to remember dropping it a while back and nothing seemed damaged. It has never given me a problem at all until about a month ago. Except for the dark/mirrorlike screen dealio.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

That was simple and straight to the point.
Junk it! Well, I paid good money for that thing...
It wasn't made in America was it? I'll have to check.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

yeah check because i think i have had 3 phones die from water lol

maybe you should update your mobile or atleast try a different mobile. i find that sonys are really good.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
I used to have a Razr. Got rid of it. It would never hold a battery charge for long. No matter how many new batteries I bought. The phone was crap.

I now have a HTC Tilt and its awesome

I suggest you upgrade phones!

[edit on July 5th 2009 by greeneyedleo]

I never heard of that phone. The only reason I have this one is because my daughter said it was cool. The one I had before was also a Motorola somthing-something. I'm going to take your suggestion and look into a new one. It sounds like everyone agrees, my cell is either a piece of junk or its damaged.

But, but... I wanted it to be a digital conspiracy. Darn it!

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   

yes its your battery i worked in tech support and it is a common problem with most cell phones that shutt off by themselves. However the moto razor is perticularly touchy and do not purchase a battery other than motororla the defect people talk about with the razor is the voltage is checked by the phone if it is even a little off phone does weird things. all though if its been 2 years id say time for a new phone.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I just had this conversation with a group of people in real life the other night. Two people had cell phones that shut off while they are using it, including talking on it. I think the issue is probably more pervasive than people think. One of them mentioned two years and the other one agreed it was about that long before it started happening. I automatically thought about planned obsolescence but then one said they called the phone company and they were sent a new phone for free. So I'm not sure now.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Ok so If you are going to purchase a new phone, just take it from me, STAY AWAY FROM TOUCH SCREENS.

Stay away from anything thats been out for less than 6 months. Why?

Because as stated above they are first generation phones. Which means that they are unfinished, un-polished, Trial versions which are made in limited quality and sold only in countries like the US or India where there is a massive market for them.

After 6 months to a year of having all kinds of malfunction/hardware issues, they release a second version. 2nd Generation and above are what you want.

As for a recomendation, I use a Blackberry Curve 8900, 4th generation. Perfect, no problems at all.

If you're going to mobile way, I suggest an LG Voyager, Samsung Instinct, or a Rumor 2.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Ok so If you are going to purchase a new phone, just take it from me, STAY AWAY FROM TOUCH SCREENS.

Stay away from anything thats been out for less than 6 months. Why?

Because as stated above they are first generation phones. Which means that they are unfinished, un-polished, Trial versions which are made in limited quality and sold only in countries like the US or India where there is a massive market for them.

After 6 months to a year of having all kinds of malfunction/hardware issues, they release a second version. 2nd Generation and above are what you want.

As for a recomendation, I use a Blackberry Curve 8900, 4th generation. Perfect, no problems at all.

If you're going to mobile way, I suggest an LG Voyager, Samsung Instinct, or a Rumor 2.

~Keeper

I never knew all that about cell phones. It took me until 2005 to get my first one and it seemed complicated to figure out all the details. Much obliged for taking the time to inform me. Believe it or not, I usually am ok at figuring out software but haven't the faintest idea about all the cell phone and gaming tech out there. I guess I'm behind the times.

I'm going to check out all the models you mentioned and see about making the switch.

After I get a new model, then if it happens again I'll know it wasn't the phone itself but something more. It's just weird because I've never had a problem with it at all - other than the OP issues.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by theyreadmymind
I just had this conversation with a group of people in real life the other night. Two people had cell phones that shut off while they are using it, including talking on it. I think the issue is probably more pervasive than people think. One of them mentioned two years and the other one agreed it was about that long before it started happening. I automatically thought about planned obsolescence but then one said they called the phone company and they were sent a new phone for free. So I'm not sure now.

I'm both glad and sorry to hear that you know other people this happens to. Glad because its good to know I'm not the only one. Sorry because it shouldn't be happening. As you pointed out, planned obsolescence is likely in throw-away items. In the olden times, products were meant to last. People were careful with their money and didn't spend their hard-earned cash on junk like we do nowadays. Great.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Seriously, this happened to me like this morning. Twice. I'm still trying to figure out whats wrong with it. Ive tried changing batteries, checking for water, and all of that, yet it still wont stop spontaneously turning off. Im about to just throw it out and buy a new one. Its a samsung juke btw.

top topics

join