It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rods-Insect Or other? What do you think

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I have always had a vast fascination for Flying Rods, trying to work out exactly what they are. There are a few theories going around at the moment about them and their origin one being that they are a previously unknown life form that is active in our environment, flying through the air all around us. These life forms have the following characteristics:
• Shaped like a rod, varying in size - anywhere from a few centimeters to dozens of meters.
• They travel at high velocities, invisible (or barely visible) to the human eye, but able to be captured on film or video.
• Some rods have appendages along their torsos which resemble fins.
• They appear to be alive, not mechanical, and possibly intelligent.
However skeptics state that a lot of these rods can be put down to natural phenomenon, specifically, the motions blur effect of capturing small fast-moving objects on film or video. Insects are known to appear rod-like when photographed. The "fins" appear as expected from an insect beating its wings many times per second.
The full basic list on theories is:
1. Aliens,
2. Autonomous machines,
3. Inter-dimensional beings,
4. Spirits or ghosts. They do fly and they are unidentified. Therefore, rods are UFOs,
5. Unidentified flying objects. When we first heard about rods, we wrote a song about them called, "If you move fast enough, nothing can eat you"
6. Rods are motion blurred bugs.

Rods were initially brought to the public’s attention by film maker Jose Escamilla in 1994, after filming some unexplained objects in Midway, New Mexico. Jose Escamilla captured 16 minutes of UFO footage on March 5th 1994. Fourteen days later, on March 19th, he filmed the first documented recording of the rods phenomena. He has his own site Here , this holds a lot of information and his thoughts etc. His original video that he made called the roswell rods can be viewed on U-Tube

This phenomenon has been posted and written about in many places without any real cause of them, so what exactly are they?

One site found HERE apparently done some research into it here are a few quoted passages

Rods, which are often linked with UFO's and other paranormal phenomenon have sparked a huge amount of interest from people in all walks of life from Paranormal Investigators to Cryptozoologists.

They are described as cylindrical shaped creatures ranging from just a few inches to over 1 metre in length, which fly through the air at tremendous speeds. They have a membrane down each side of their body, which vibrates rapidly as a method of propulsion, similar to that of a squid or Cuttlefish.

But what is really going on here? Are these rods a new type of flying insect or just a trick of the eye? I decided to try and find out.

Some pics from the site

But not everyone is convinced. As usual, there are many sceptics who have their own views on these so called rods, one of the strongest arguments they have is that these rods have never been captured nor have we ever seen a dead rod. Being a sceptic by nature myself, I think they make a very good point. I have continued to do more research into these rods and found a scientific explanation, which basically explains that it is just a trick of the camera. If an insect moves in front of the lens very fast, then it may beat its wings several times during that frame. That, combined with motion blur, creates the rod illusion.

So basically this site goes on to explain that they think that rods are actually just insects.

I done a little more digging, and most places I come across seem to come to this conclusion, were as I believe that perhaps in a few instances this maybe the case I don’t believe it is for all cases of rods.

There is a good article on tinwiki that cites other sources to look at for rods Flying Rods

A few more images to look at;

Some ATS related articles;
The possible truth about sky/flying rods
Flying Rods Debunked
Rods- ideas please
What Are rods
"RODS": aliens or a species native to Earth?
Rainbow Rods

It seems the majority say that rods are just flying insects but I have seen a lot of pictures to make me keep wondering about them.
What do the rest of ATS think?

[edit on 013131p://12071 by ronishia]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
There is an episode of Monster Hunters that pretty much debunks the idea of "rods" by using high speed cameras to show that they are just bugs, and the 4th photo you linked, i believe, was actually one of the places they went!

They were just bugs according to their high speed cameras, it was the first episode of that show anything or come to any sort of conclusion

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
i came across this lil titbit of info on how to capture rods on film perhaps some atsers could try it out

we provide you with a few tips from Jose' Escamilla on how to capture rods on video film.

1) Adjust your video camera's shutter setting. Depending on your camera, it might be a dial with little pictures on it. Look for the sports setting. That will ensure you have a high shutter setting so each frame of video will look like a single picture without blur.

2) Point your camera at the sky. Leave something, like a tree as a frame of reference.

3) Adjust your zoom so it matches what you see with the naked eye. Don't use a wide angle, or zoom in for a close up.

4) Let the camera record for 10 minutes. Then, change angles and record for another 10 minutes.

5) Time to look at your video. Play the video at regular speed. If you see something go by, replay it at slow speed.

SOURCE

Also another atricle at that link of the sites own investigation/interpretation of rods

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shaved Yeti
There is an episode of Monster Hunters that pretty much debunks the idea of "rods" by using high speed cameras to show that they are just bugs, and the 4th photo you linked, i believe, was actually one of the places they went!

They were just bugs according to their high speed cameras, it was the first episode of that show anything or come to any sort of conclusion

I still dont see how they are "bugs"

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
They are bugs.. they even have them flying about in the Call of Duty games.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by VitalOverdose

lol! is that what they were?
i use the Nvidia 3D glasses for all my PC games.. and when i'm on CoD 4 and CoD 5 i crap myself when i'm sniping, come out of snipe view to reload and a "rod" flies past me, it feels so real due to the glasses lol

thanks for letting me know ^^

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ronishia

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ce39e1cb6fe7.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Some footage cant be a blurred bug or bird. One video that proves this, was shown on sky 1 a couple of years back that showed footage of a rod flying in and out of a tornado, I dont think a 'bird' or 'bug' could do that without being killed. Search UFO Files- Alien Encounters- RODS- Part 4 on youtube and u will c for urself.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
People who simply say they are bugs need to dig a little deeper. Theres lots of evidence that sometimes they are something else.

[edit on 30-10-2009 by FoxMulder91]

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by FoxMulder91
People who simply say they are bugs need to dig a little deeper. Theres lots of evidence that sometimes they are something else.

[edit on 30-10-2009 by FoxMulder91]

Could you please provide the evidence? A link perhaps?

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by KEMIK

Heres a link for you

www.xenophilia.com...

top topics

join