It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NELSON MANDELA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Um...

Why is he such a figure of peace, when the country he ruled went into a disaster with crime?

Do you think it is right that South African's affirmative action (under Nelson Mandela's ruling party) has the right to elivate one race at the cost of another? (even sports it has been impliminted, like a girl recently was stripped from a gold medal just becuase the racial quota system was wrong)

Just wanne hear, what made Nelson Mandela the peace icon, when the country he lives in has no peace or equality.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   
THANK YOU!!!!!

just one more example of how twisted our world is.
its all a matter of twisted perspective brought to you in the name of political correctedness and "liberalism". for some reason any minority that has ever been repressed seems to always get a favorable light in the media no mater what happens. its even better if they are peaceful and suffer at the hands of terrible fascist dictators or imperialistic dogmas.

[Edited on 6-5-2004 by NothingMakesSense]

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slickwik
Um...

Why is he such a figure of peace, when the country he ruled went into a disaster with crime?

Do you think it is right that South African's affirmative action (under Nelson Mandela's ruling party) has the right to elivate one race at the cost of another? (even sports it has been impliminted, like a girl recently was stripped from a gold medal just becuase the racial quota system was wrong)

Just wanne hear, what made Nelson Mandela the peace icon, when the country he lives in has no peace or equality.

You are basing your opinion on the comparison to here. South Africa is not anywhere near like America.

I'd suggest you read a little on the situation there before he was imprisoned.

Mandela

Time Magazine

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   
When people close to you gets payed off becuase the "skin color" aint right, you start to ask yourself these questions :bnghd:

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro

Um...

You are basing your opinion on the comparison to here. South Africa is not anywhere near like America.

I'd suggest you read a little on the situation there before he was imprisoned.

Mandela

Time Magazine

Then again I ask, why is he a peace icon, I know the history of my country.

Facts is right now, Apartheid is not to blame for poor economy, poor education, poor RULERSHIP. In the end, they stopped apartheid, took the problem away, good for them, but after that??? More of his own people die then they died before in Apartheid.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   

When people close to you gets payed off becuase the "skin color" aint right, you start to ask yourself these questions :bnghd:

You should perhaps explain a little rather than post some innocuous comment

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Then again I ask, why is he a peace icon, I know the history of my country.

I kind of wish you knew the grammar of you're country, but to answer your question, here is what the Nobel Peace Prize people had to say:

The Nobel Peace Prize 1993

The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided to award the Nobel Peace Prize for 1993 to Nelson R. Mandela and Frederik Willem de Klerk for their work for the peaceful termination of the apartheid regime, and for laying the foundations for a new democratic South Africa.

From their different points of departure, Mandela and de Klerk have reached agreement on the principles for a transition to a new political order based on the tenet of one man-one vote. By looking ahead to South African reconciliation instead of back at the deep wounds of the past, they have shown personal integrity and great political courage.

Ethnic disparities cause the bitterest conflicts. South Africa has been the symbol of racially-conditioned suppression. Mandela's and de Klerk's constructive policy of peace and reconciliation also points the way to the peaceful resolution of similar deep-rooted conflicts elsewhere in the world.

The previous Nobel Laureates Albert Lutuli and Desmond Tutu made important contributions to progress towards racial equality in South Africa. Mandela and de Klerk have taken the process a major step further. The Nobel Peace Prize for 1993 is awarded in recognition of their efforts and as a pledge of support for the forces of good, in the hope that the advance towards equality and democracy will reach its goal in the very near future.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Didn't Mandela's wife burn people alive by putting tires around them and lighting them up? If not, I must be misinformed. I'm pretty sure I have heard that before. Could be hearsay also. I'm at work right now and don't have the time to look it up. Anyone know for sure if this is correct?

If it is correct, doesn't seem very peaceful to me. Granted it's his wife, but come on most "peaceful" people wouldn't be married to someone that would do something like that.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Mandela is no saint.
The only reason he got the Nobel Peace prize is because he sat in jail during apartheid and was a symbol of everything that stood against the white run system.

Sure, apartheid was evil and I have found some of the white South African's I have met to be some of the most bigoted people around. But Mandela was no better.

When he got into power he went around gradually turning the only good economic state in Africa into a crime-ridden hole.
What was really annoying about the guy more than anything was how he became a voice for world peace, yet all the time in office, he sat on his ass whilst the rest of Africa went up in flames around him and he didn't lift a finger. Mandela is just a window dressed Mugabe.

He's righteous enough but when it came down to putting his words into action he was as full of # as any other politician.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   
If Mandela wasnt released to negiotiate with the old government in South Africa there would have been a blood bath...a civil war..blacks killing whites. That could still happen further down the line, some even say when Mandela dies the blacks will kill the whites like flies (a black politician was quoted as saying that)

The system of segregation is now purely economical, with poverty in black areas even worse now than they were under white rule.

People need to understand this one thing. Although all the nice PR on South Africa, Rainbow Nation etc never forget this: This country was BRAINWASHED and SOCIALLY ENGINEERED (every ethnic and racial group!!) for over a hundred years, long before the Afrikaans people took power. Blacks and Europeans were ALWAYS seperate. And to this day it continues. Blacks live in their areas and whites live in their own areas. The only difference is money, those with it move into the rich areas. So crime is bad here but more than 50% of the crime is black on black, after the pay check, they get tanked on booze..have a fight over a girlfriend which ends in a stabbing.

If they dont do anything about the poverty in South Africa the blacks will start land grabbing like in Zimbabwe and it could get much much worse. The problem now in South Africa is one ruling elite has been replaced by another black elite, who arent helping their own people (AIDS situation a prime example) The # thing is that if things get bad, because of the history it is the whites who will be attacked, and their wealth stolen.

Interestingly enough there is an afrikaans prophet called Van Rensburg who lived during the boer war (war between the boers in South Africa and the English for control of the vast mineral wealth there..funny that this prophet was almost shot dead because he started telling the Boers they werent going to win the war!!!) at the turn of the last century. you can read some of his writings at this site, they are in word docs :

www.geocities.com...

(i think this site is from an extremist, which I am not.. but its the only place i could find free extract from a book being sold on the prophet/seer..alot of the material is about South Africa so most of you wont know the stuff spoken about, but there is stuff in the last doc about the plagues that will hit England ...I personally hope this DOES NOT happen!)

Its pretty extreme, but basically mentions that the world will enter into decline South Africa will once again be ruled by the Boers (who are supposedly God fearing people..even made a covenant with God before a battle against the Zulus). Anyway his writings have been around for ages. General Smuts even locked them away for fear that they would insite civil war..and that was over 60 years ago. The current blacks in power now HATE even the mention of this man, manly because much of what he says has happened, and that the end of it will be the Afrikaaner back in power in South Africa!!! Im not too sure on his predictions, but logically thinking these Boer people were at one time VERY God fearing and as they have a historical connection to South Africa I guess they are the only "righteous" or "christian" group to inherit it.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthStrgnrThanFiction
If Mandela wasnt released to negiotiate with the old government in South Africa there would have been a blood bath...a civil war..blacks killing whites. That could still happen further down the line, some even say when Mandela dies the blacks will kill the whites like flies (a black politician was quoted as saying that)

That would have been the day.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Well, i also live there and i must admit. It is a little off that it even influences sport.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Why is this Mandela's fault?

Both sides are still locked behind color lines. In america the emanicipation proclaimation is over 100 years old and still there is hatred on both sides. Equality doesn't happen over night. You refer to the blacks as "his people" until you can say "my people" this hatred will continue. You have to embrace all of your countrymen and they have to learn to embrace you as well. Their deaths are your deaths. You are all one people but as long as you think separate you will hate each other and these injustices will continue. If you don't see it that way then you are part of the problem.

[Edited on 8-5-2004 by Saphronia]

new topics

top topics

join