It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smiles are Free

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Ever wake up in one of those moods? Now "one of those moods" is more commonly associated with a negative connotation, which is unfortunate. It seems more and more we are inundated with reasons to not be happy and not enjoy life. While life is not easy and not always fair, it is a journey that we're all travelling and I think a conscious effort should be made to make the best of it, no matter how dire a situation we may find ourselves.

I'm not sure what happened this morning, but I woke up in a mood that is tough to recreate.

Let's go over a few of the essentials...

• It is a weekend and I woke up at 7am. (not good)
  • It is a weekend and I have to work today. (really not good)
  • It is raining! (see a trend?)
  • My cat physically attacked me this morning as I slept and wouldn't stop until I got out of the bed and allowed him to sleep quietly. Apparently a queen size mattress isn't big enough for the two of us.

So either way, this morning didn't get off to the start that I would have hoped for last night.

Still though, as I prepared some breakfast this morning I found myself in a mood where all of my problems seemed to fade away and I just appreciated the moment I found myself.

I think to just sit and smile sometimes is one of the toughest things to do. It seems so easy yet how often do we actually make the time to do so? It is as if we need a reason to smile. Nobody needs a reason to be pissed off or miserable.. these moods come at no cost. But to smile, we tirelessly search for a reason and usually come up short. The pessimism that we as a society are breeding is enough to gag an elephant.

So at some point today, or maybe even tomorrow, take a moment to yourself and be sure to smile. It feels good.

[edit on 7-5-2009 by chissler]

• posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 09:40 AM
    link   

let the sunshine in your life

what you tell us here, i oftly have in the morning (guess 90% of my life). It sucks, but what shall i do?
    I smile!!!!!
    (of course, after feeling 15 mins depressed in the morning..)

really nice thread

Nia, sending you a smile

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 10:09 AM
    link   
    Ahhh, Chiss, I totally agree.
    The world sucks, and my life sucks...but ya gotta smile or else...
    get busy livin' or get busy dyin'...period.
    I have told this story a couple of times on here already, so I'll make it brief.
    I was traveling on the city bus..and having the worst day ever..in fact, tears were welling up in my eyes.
    A gentleman noticed how upset I was, and he said I should be happy.
    he said.." Look at me, I don't have much in this life..but I always have a smile..and I'll give mine to you if it'll make you happy."
    This man, was homeless..by the clothes he wore, and the bags he carried, but offered me the one thing he prided himself on having despite all.
    Nothing else in my life has ever put a different perspective on my troubles than that man did.
    So as hard as it may be some days..I try to smile.
    There is a lot of inspiration in a smile..it's free, and it's contagious...so pass it on.

[edit on 5-7-2009 by AccessDenied]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 05:22 PM
    link   
    reply to post by chissler

Reminds me of this ........www.youtube.com...

[edit on 5-7-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 06:03 PM
    link   
    You have to pay me to smile.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:52 PM
    link   
    Thanks for the replies.

Today was just an overall great day. One of the individuals I support at work, we got out today and I was able to take him to see the new Transformers movie. All throughout it he'd be cheering on the characters and pumping his fists when the good guys did something. And when the bad guys did something he'd be grimacing and at the edge of his seat hoping for the tide to turn. It keeps things in perspective for me and allows me to appreciate the finer things.

I'll be turning in tonight hoping that I wake up in the morning in half as good of a mood as I found myself this morning. If so, I suspect tomorrow will be a great day as well.

G'night folks.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:07 PM
    link   

Flag!

I couldn't agree more.

It's too easy to stay in a bad mindset.

No matter what happens, you've always got it better than someone else.

That guy at the bottom of the list is in for a ride, though. :shk:

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 12:35 PM
    link   
    Smiling is frowned upon here.

Keep it down please.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:18 PM
    link   
    reply to post by whaaa

That goes for "replay". British humour at it's best

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 08:52 PM
    link   
    Well, the fun thing about smiles is they grow. The more I smile the more I want to smile; funny how that works. If nothing else people are going to wonder what you're up to.

I've tried to start a new habit especially at work. I try to make one person laugh or at least smile.

There is nothing like laughter to break then tension and studies have shown that laughing is good for your health.

top topics

join