It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space station visible during next 6 days.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Still 5 more days you can see the spacestation, keep your heads up, cause it is some thing to look at, I have seen it a few times and it is nice to watch the light going by and thinking of the people up there looking down !!

EDIT: Here is an tracker for manned flights in space..
It is currently down for maintenance, up on july 6th
Human Space Flight
Here is a tracker that works now...

Source : n2yo.com

Source Link

With clear skies, islanders will be able to see the International Space Station as it orbits about 220 miles above the earth beginning tomorrow night -- the first of six bright passes over six days.

The station will pass overhead at about 8:50 p.m. and will be "extremely bright -- as bright as Jupiter is now," said Mike Shanahan, Bishop Museum education director and planetarium manager. "The space station will move very slowly against the background of stars and should be easy to find."

Three of the passes will be before sunrise, with Venus, Mars and Jupiter all visible.

"The space station will be brighter than Jupiter -- like a headlight in the sky," Shanahan said.

On Tuesday the space station will pass directly in front of Venus around 5:23 a.m., with Mars close by.

And on Friday it will pass below Jupiter and a nearly full moon.

Satellites are only visible two hours after sunset and two hours before sunrise, Shanahan said.

"They have to be in darkness on earth but catch the light of the sun," he said. "There are only two windows when they are visible."

NASA said many locations will have unusually long sighting opportunities -- as much as five minutes -- as the station flies directly overhead.

The space station is the largest spacecraft ever built and the most reflective, appearing as "a solid, glowing light," the space agency said.

It is moving too fast for conventional telescopes, but binoculars can improve the view and even show some detail of the station's structure, NASA said.

The station, which circles Earth every 90 minutes, is 357 feet long, "about the length of a football field including the end zones, and 45 feet tall."

It has reflective solar arrays that are 240 feet wide, a wingspan greater than that of a jumbo jet and a total surface area of more than 38,000 square feet, said NASA.

Six astronauts from the United States, Russia, Europe, Canada and Japan are conducting research on the station.

[edit on 5-7-2009 by ChemBreather]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I've seen it once with the shuttle following close by. It was amazing as it was a perfect night for viewing it. I highly recommend for anyone who lives in such an area to seek out a low light pollution area and see for yourself.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I pointed it out last night/this morning to some people.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Looks like its going to pass right over sydney !

*AWESOME*

Cheers for the heads up for the link.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Lightpollution is a great damper one could say, like you point out, it is wise to maybe get out in an darker area for more clear viewing of the Iss..

CX

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Thanks for the info.

I live in the south of the UK, i think i'm right in saying that we will be able to see the ISS at about 22:45 tonight.

I'm going to wake the kids up about half ten so they can watch out for it.

Hope it's clear.

CX.

CX

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Hmmm......cam anyone tell me how often it does another pass?

I thought i'd be able to see it in a couple of hours, but it looks like it's heading towards Russia.

Edite to say....just read the original post..orbits earth every 90 minutes.

CX.

[edit on 5/7/09 by CX]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Go to: www.heavens-above.com You enter your location (selecting community, or entering coordinates). You get good pass times, with skymaps as well.

I have been using it for years.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Saw the ISS yesterday morning, that was way brighter than I expected to see.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
That is the best part of heavens-above.com, it gives you an expected magnitude of ISS and other sat passes, so you have an idea what to expect.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I got a good view of it last night at 9:40 pm pdt as it passed over central cal.
It was brightest thing in the sky and was easily visible right here in the middle of the city.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Hey guys, sorry to hijack the thread but couldn't start a new one because of my post count...

Anyway, I've been tracking the ISS in the skies from the UK the past few days and went out for tonight's viewing, starting with the ISS toolbag at 22:22 then the ISS itself at 22:28. As expected, the toolbag flew by pretty much on time, but as I waited for the ISS I also noticed there was a much smaller object orbiting the exact same path as the ISS but exactly 10 seconds ahead of it across my whole view of the sky.

The ISS was about 3 times the size of the object it was following but was definitely not the toolbag as I already saw it 6 minutes before..

I checked with Heavens-Above for any other satellite passes that might coincide with the ISS but the nearest is the toolbag. No iridium flares, no Genesis I/II or envisat so then I thought maybe the shuttle trying to dock?

Last I heard she was due to launch today but then I heard they cancelled it then someone posted a live stream to the launch so I really dont know...

Anyway, if the ISS is due over your location anytime soon, please check it out and report back if you see what I see. Its exactly 10 seconds in front but a lot fainter than the ISS

Thanks!

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I saw it last week with the Soviet Progress supply ship about 10 seconds behind.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Trader52

Yeah that could be it. I do remember hearing it had docked recently.

Now on it's way back then?

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by oldno7brand

its not the shuttle, it wasnt due to launch until 23:30 approx (GMT)

check here countdown.ksc.nasa.gov...

Wee Mad

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by weemadmental

I noticed the cancellation thread after I posted in this one but as far as I was aware it HAD already been cancelled a few hours before launch. It was on Sky News...hmm.

Was the launch originally scrapped a couple of hours before lift-off or did Sky accidentally 'leak' it?

new topics

top topics

join