It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

16 UN Workers Go Missing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   

16 UN Workers Go Missing

cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com

Sixteen U.N. workers went missing Saturday in eastern Afghanistan, police said Sunday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
16 UN workers have gone missing, only their ambulance has been found. They were de-mining an area between Logar and Paktia, in eastern Afghanistan. In the last month we have seen 3 young men, and I mean young, 19, 21, and yesterday 20, all from my area have been killed. A lot seems to be going on there suddenly, we have heard a lot about Iraq, but not Afghanistan, why the sudden activity?

cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

3 days ago, 4,000 Americans (mostly Marines), and 650 Afghan soldiers launched Operation Khanjar in Helmand. A Marine was captured by the Taliban.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Well, hate to say it, but what do you expect in volatile regions?
Happens all the time nothing new really
But hoping they're okay

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Yes, I was aware of this operation, but only 1 of the 3 deaths from my area were after this began.

Looks though like we are moving out of Iraq and straight over to Afghanistan.

I really hate to say this, but, I am soooo glad that my husband is no longer in the service.

[edit on 5-7-2009 by space cadet]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
At the end of the day this is in a war zone.

The Taliban have different strategies when fighting a war, and there is a lot of psychological and tactical players out in afghanistan.

If they can take a group of hostages it gives them some leverage towards getting something they really want in an exchange, even if it is just time, unfortunately hostages are often used to stop bombings and attacks by using them as human shields.

This is nothing new, and highly likely strategy given the current offensive.

Best of luck to the captured workers.

Regards S_G

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Oh dear, sadly I fear we will not see them again. Or they might be used as bargaining tools. Sadly I do not see this happening.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I too think that they may not be used for bargaining, but rather be collateral damage. I dunno, I just had a feeling about this kiddnapping.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I find it odd that the UN workers were not accompanied by a security detachment as they disabled landmines in the area. Why would they be out their with out protection? Last I checked there was combat operations going on in that region.

The Marines and Nato forces are assaulting the Taliban. Why would they be sent out there under those conditions. Moreover, these UN workers will be used as pawns for possible prisoner exchange or other concessions. Sadly, echoing one of the OPs before me, I don't think we will see these people again. They might as well start getting their coffins and tombstones ready. Very sad state of affairs.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Or their guards are undeclared deaths, especially if they were special ops which is often how that is handled.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
These UN workers are idiots of the biggest kind. Most of them go to Afghanistan to preach christianity to try and convert the locals, most of the UN workers are Ameriacn religous zealots.
The Taleban don't take well to people doing this kind of stuff.
These people will never be seen alive again, ever.....

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by SKUNK2

First of all learn to spell, it might get you somewhere.

Second of all, How do you know all those volunteer or Un Workers are american? Do you have proof?

Third This has nothing to do with religion, so quit spouting your crap all over the place. Not everything has Zealots invovled as you put it.

[edit on 5-7-2009 by Laurauk]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SKUNK2

These UN workers are idiots of the biggest kind. Most of them go to Afghanistan to preach christianity to try and convert the locals, most of the UN workers are Ameriacn religous zealots.
The Taleban don't take well to people doing this kind of stuff.
These people will never be seen alive again, ever.....

Well, IF these people are 'preaching' they're doing so out of concern for their fellow man and risking their lives for something the believe in.
It takes a lot of conviction and courage and sack to risk your life for your convictions.

So, regardless if you agree on their religion or motive for being in Afghanistan can’t you at least have the common decency to give them the respect they deserve for trying to make the world a better place instead of just tearing it down with negativity and hate like most?

I wonder if you know just how biased and bitter you sound? No matter their motivation for working where they do, they're missing, possibly held captive and I can assure you they wont hurt any less, or bleed any less nor will their families grieve any less than someone who was just over there to make a buck.

As for these people never being seen again - I pray that they will be, and alive and well.
It would only be human - not just Christian, but human to hope them the best.

peace

[edit on 5-7-2009 by silo13]

new topics

top topics

join