It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 Theory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   
This 2012 stuff is not rubish, however I think we are misconstruing the actual nature of this event. To me I think the calendar ends not because the world will be destroyed or rebirthed, rather, I think the Mayans choice of discontinuing their calendar was an offering to our society. It is our duty to re-create the calendar for our inheritors. This calander will likely involve some sort of super machine; one that is smarter than humans.

en.wikipedia.org...

Good (1965) speculated on the consequences of machines smarter than humans:

Let an ultraintelligent machine be defined as a machine that can far surpass all the intellectual activities of any man however clever. Since the design of machines is one of these intellectual activities, an ultraintelligent machine could design even better machines; there would then unquestionably be an ‘intelligence explosion,’ and the intelligence of man would be left far behind. Thus the first ultraintelligent machine is the last invention that man need ever make.

The machines are birthed from our clever nature, and are therefore clever, because they have a clever nature they will reproduce more cleverness and it is hoped that this cleverness far exceeds the capacity of human beings.

All that I have to say is that we should start making a new calander as soon as possible so that we can see 2012 as not the "end" or "beginning" but rather just a continuation.

SVE

[edit on 5-7-2009 by thedude69]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Hello.

While the mayan calendar may be "ending" (or just beginning a new cycle, depending on who you talk to), why should we start making a new calendar? "Our" calendar isn't ending, it recycles every January 1st. I can pull one up on my computer right now...
Yup, there it is...January 1, 2013. Works fine.

No one I know is using the mayan calendar. Are you?

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Hi Phage, I hear your the one people liston here at ats,Im just curious, do you think any thing of the whole calendar of the Maya at all?

I for once finds it peculiar that it consists of three calenders than ends in their own cycles and for the grand finalê, all three ends at the same time 21.12.2012 (21.12.2112 would be more spooky:up
for the first time in I think since the start of this 5th sun ?
One complete cycle of this calendar is 5126 years x 5 cycles = 25630 years in total..

Also, I cant wait to see if the sun does something that can be considered as an new era of the sun, the birth of the 6th sun as pointed to in the maya calendar.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Hello.

While the mayan calendar may be "ending" (or just beginning a new cycle, depending on who you talk to), why should we start making a new calendar? "Our" calendar isn't ending, it recycles every January 1st. I can pull one up on my computer right now...
Yup, there it is...January 1, 2013. Works fine.

No one I know is using the mayan calendar. Are you?

I was just suggesting a solution to the Mayan hysteria/dilemma. Of course we have a great calendar that not only reflects our environment but allows us to anticipate and catalog events in a personal and interactive fashion, however, it is not a construction made by an intelligence that exceeds man. I am not denying the dopeness of our calendar, I mean, I find our current method of organization advanced, as you said, "it recycles." I do not use or prescribe to the Mayan Calendar, and in all honesty do not know much about it. However, the point of my thread is not solely about 2012, it is also about the "singularity" and the creations that it will project.

SVE

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

I think the Maya developed a very accurate calendar. I have an accurate watch. Both are designed to do the same thing. I use my watch to tell me the time and date. The Maya used their calendar to tell them when to plant their maize. A calendar is a means of marking time, it is not magic. The accuracy of the Mayan calendar is a tribute to their astronomical adeptness. They were good but they didn't have the instrumentation we do. They had eyeballs, we have telescopes of various sorts, satellites, and computers. We're better at marking time than they were. Our clocks are better than theirs were.

You find it peculiar that dates converted from a calendar developed perhaps around 4,000 years ago to a modern calendar which has gone through many iterations produces a repeating (sort of) sequence of digits (which the Maya didn't use), depending on whether you use European or North American convention the digits form different patterns, in spite of the fact that there was no European calendar or "American" calendar in existence. I find it a not very interesting, nor intriguing coincidence.

Is there something particularly significant about 25630 years?

Yup, the sun will rise on December 22, 2012, and every day after that (for quite a while anyway). We agree on that.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by thedude69

We should change our calendar so the digits which happen to coincide with the end of the Mayan cycle aren't so spooky? I get it!
So rearranging our calendar so what is now 12-21-2012 turns into something like 04-01-4213 would help settle the ruckus?

You may be onto something. It just might work.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Phage,

That was a great connection you just made. Now it is just a matter of the "singularity" living up to its expectations, which in all honesty I think is a process that is already underway and achieving in our society. Let us get the word out, for time is of the essence.

SVE

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
What connection was made excactly ? I noticed no connetion to any thing.
We have watches telling time according to our orbit around the sun only.

My point being that we have to adjust our clocks and calenders by adding one day to february every fourth year and hold the clock for one second every 100 years or so, how come the maya calender had this thought out?

Maya looked on time in another way than us, we have a clock of 24 hours a day in seven days. Maya also looked to other planetary bodies to figure out what comes next.

They operated time with tuns and baktuns etc.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather

Maya also looked to other planetary bodies to figure out what comes next.

They operated time with tuns and baktuns etc.

Exactly, I would propose that the super-machine would likely study our universe, even more so then the Mayans did. I think you could be underestimating the power of such an intelligence...Petaflop anybody? The connection that was made is the possibility of re-creating a new calendar that could be based on numbers, or even something else. Because 2012 has gained a sort of hysterical notion I would hope that this calendar would either do one of two things. Either the "new" calendar illustrates that there is some sort of uniqueness about 2012, from this admittance it is hoped that the machine would also offer more dates in the future (2000, 10,000, 100,000) years from now that would also highlight extreme planetary allignments, universe balance, or possibly even transcendence. Or it could do something else, like Phage said,

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by thedude69

We should change our calendar so the digits which happen to coincide with the end of the Mayan cycle aren't so spooky? I get it!
So rearranging our calendar so what is now 12-21-2012 turns into something like 04-01-4213 would help settle the ruckus?

You may be onto something. It just might work.

This would be the optimal effect of the new calendar; a super machine that is somewhat autonomous (it cannnot be completely autonomous because it is birthed from us) from human influence finds that 21.12.2012 or any date for that matter is not the most effective way to organize ourselves. According to the machine this 2012 event illustrates that our calendars are flawed because they clash for no apperent or even logical reason. The machine would seek to create order and clarity for its creators; it could as Phage said reconstruct the numerology so that 2012 is actually 4019 or whatever. Believe in the power of the machine and your doubts and fears of 2012 will quickly fade.

SVE

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
The calander is ending and restarting, like everything it works in an organized cycle. Our fate is in our own hands. Our calander may not be worth anything after it "resets" obviously the Myans had some knowledge we don't. The fact that we, "scientists," are still trying to understand the round calander and the significance of their number system speaks on their level of intelligence. (for their more commonly believed "primitive" qualities) The fact that the calander is still here and hasn't been destroyed or mysteriously disappeared as we know things can, is impressive enough. Luckily for you and me and the rest of us is we will live to see the turning of events or another hyped doomsday blow over in infamy.

new topics

top topics

join