It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What NASA Isn't Telling You About Mars!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Cole DeSteele

Those darker areas inside the craters are, as far as I have seen, and considering that I do not remember the exact ID of that photo and that you did not provided it either, are areas with a blueish dust and the famous "blueberries".

The dark spots on the other photos are not only in a completely different place (these are near the poles), they are not the same thing, as far as we can see on the photos provided either by NASA or by ESA.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Those darker areas inside the craters are, as far as I have seen, and considering that I do not remember the exact ID of that photo and that you did not provided it either, are areas with a blueish dust and the famous "blueberries".

The dark spots on the other photos are not only in a completely different place (these are near the poles), they are not the same thing, as far as we can see on the photos provided either by NASA or by ESA.

Not only did I mention that at the end of the post, but I did give the name of the image file I cropped that can be found at the Mars Express page ( the "post card" image):

www.esa.int...

My intent was to show stained crater images similar to the ones in the lecture videos - I was unable to locate actual file names

The other images/ file names of pics cropped in previous post can be found here, with interesting perspectives of geomorphology vs. vegetation. IMO, I see both - but if these images aren't open to interperetation, then what's the point?

www.xtl-ak.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I agree, just because they don't look like what we might percieve as 'normal' shaped rocks, we can't immediatley assume they are tools or 'artifacts' of another life form. such an assumption is just desperation to believe that there is more there than what there actually is - which is rocks.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cole DeSteele
Not only did I mention that at the end of the post, but I did give the name of the image file I cropped that can be found at the Mars Express page ( the "post card" image):
Oh, OK, I did not understood that that was the name of the image, I was expecting an official name.

Also, I did not understood most of what you wrote on the final note, although I read it several times I could not really understand what you meant

IMO, I see both - but if these images aren't open to interperetation, then what's the point?
They are obviously open to interpretation, everything else is, why shouldn't these things be?

I just think that that interpretation is wrong.

PS: I will post some more information about those images and the images from the Opening Post, now I am going to have my diner.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Isn't most of the mars air carbon dioxide? As far as I know it is, which for plants.. any plant from earth would be like wow perfect environment for growing.

assuming you've got roots that can reach water underground, i don't see why plants wouldnt thrive on mars

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by hisshadow

A high percentage of CO2, yes. But a high percentage of very little is very little. The atmosphere of at the surface of Mars is less than 1% that of Earth. That's about how thick our atmosphere is at 90,000 feet.

[edit on 7/11/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

How you know?You been there? or just taking 'Govt. approved' data again?

ffffltt ! Ok, what kind of object could have made that huge Splatt on the surface on Mars ?? Do I dare move outside the SchoolBooks and say a smaller object ??? I am just guessing the local library dont have any info on it what so ever !!!

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
awwww... thats sad.. cause, i can't think of a mountain that high on earth with plants

lol

there goes my idea of sending a strawberry bush up on the next rover

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Explaining better what I said before, I was expecting an ID like "h4165_0000_nd3", but that was because I forgot that ESA does not publish its images like that, these IDs are only used on the original file names (as far as I know), and those images are never colour images.

But I have here another photo that shows very well that area inside Gusev crater. As the image is very big (5500x20480 pixels and 6M Bytes) I think I just post a link to the page from where you can download the JPEG or the TIFF file.

So this small crop (and resized to 25%) of the image from the above link
when seen closer by HiRISE looks something like this
and at full resolution (26.2 cm/pixel) looks like this

(click for full size)

Considering that from the ground we see something like this

I think those are just blueish dust, rocks and some blueberries.

As for the other images, as I couldn't find the first image you posted and I do not have the time to look for it, I leave it for a possible future occasion.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
About the second image on the Opening Post, that is another case of cutting out a shape like he wants, regardless of what the photos really show.

The image from the OP.

This is the same rock (or artifact) from the OP, but without hiding anything.

And once more, with the left and right versions we can get a good 3D view of the are, seeing that the "artifact" is not one piece but several, and I think he even included part of the ground.

PS: I used the radiometrically corrected images. These images were not available at the time the text from the OP was written, but the IMG versions (without radiometric correction) were available since July 2005 (the text is from October 2005).

PPS: sorry for the annoying animation, but I think it's the best way of showing the depth without using those red and blue glasses or a cross-eye image (not all people can see those).

Edit: I forgot to identify the photo, it's photo 2P147054017ESF8600P2579L3M1, for example, from Spirit, on Sol 233.

[edit on 12/7/2009 by ArMaP]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Still looks like water seepage coming up from underground to me...

I personally think where we will find life on Mars is underground anyway... temp and pressure should be right beneath the frozen water... stable climate, water... in caverns

This is still a much better loc to send a rover... the coloration makes one wonder too... algae? Maybe

I'm pretty certain Mars must be riddled with caverns under the surface if it's core is mainly inactive compared to ours... at some point the temp must reach a high enough point for some of that water to melt and flow inward and it should have a much thicker crust

Tons of room for life to exist... just not on the surface...

[edit on 11-7-2009 by mopusvindictus]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Armap - thank you, you do some really good work.

Those "3D" images you are showing in this thread are very useful.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

In view of your point about caverns & underground spaces where vegetation might grow on Mars, here is a link to the "Mars Anomaly Research" site regarding "large mysterious black holes" on Mars.

That it is not to suggest I support your hypothesis about large areas of underground vegetation on Mars.

www.marsanomalyresearch.com...

[edit on 11-7-2009 by Sam60]

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I finally found the ID for that image with the spots, it's image E05-00762 from Mars Global Surveyor, taken in 2001.

No other photo from that area was taken (or is available) since then, but other photos showing similar features have been taken by different probes.

The HiRISE team has been following some of those features, like this one.

Photo PSP_002567_0955, 12 February 2007

Photo PSP_002936_0955, from 13 March 2007

Photo PSP_003213_0955, from 3 April 2007

Whatever that may be, there is no doubt that it is a seasonal feature, changing with the time of year (and we have to remember that an year in Mars is twice as long as one on Earth)

Small crop at full resolution (49.7 cm/pixel) from photo PSP_003213_0955

And a false colour version of the same area.

(All images are slightly larger than they appear on the thread, click on them for full size. The two last photos had their light levels adjusted to make the darker areas more visible)

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

I also think any underground cave (or more probably empty lava tubes) are the best candidates for harbouring life.

One thing that is usually not explained when people show those dark spots is that they are near the poles, not on the more warmer areas where there are more chances for life as we know it. I have even seen some pages presenting those photos and then talking about how mild the temperatures are in the equator!

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Personally, I think their hiding things. What's the big deal if they come out and tell us there's life now or was life on Mars? The truths the truth. Nothing wrong with a big wake up call to the people of Earth. Besides, I'd like to see what my taxes are paying for instead of having a handful of select people get these thrill of discovery moments.

As stated before, they could have tried to put the rover in an area more interesting like the face or the pyramids, or would something like that be too hard to hide? As for what the atmosphere is, again, we only know what they tell us. The whole "Panic the public" argument about alien life is laughable.

Maybe the government is the one who's afraid. Afraid if we find out the truth it'll wreck the carefully structured society (With them at the top.) they worked so long and hard on. Better to keep us in the dark about such things. (For our own good)

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by korath
Personally, I think their hiding things. What's the big deal if they come out and tell us there's life now or was life on Mars? The truths the truth. Nothing wrong with a big wake up call to the people of Earth. Besides, I'd like to see what my taxes are paying for instead of having a handful of select people get these thrill of discovery moments.

As stated before, they could have tried to put the rover in an area more interesting like the face or the pyramids, or would something like that be too hard to hide? As for what the atmosphere is, again, we only know what they tell us. The whole "Panic the public" argument about alien life is laughable.

Maybe the government is the one who's afraid. Afraid if we find out the truth it'll wreck the carefully structured society (With them at the top.) they worked so long and hard on. Better to keep us in the dark about such things. (For our own good)

do you have any evidence for this or just biased opinions? im so sick of hearing about a government cover up, i mean, HELLO, we're not taking part in an X files episode are we? not EVERYTHING is a conspiracy. Jesus christ

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
let me ask you this plain and simple question,

why didn't NASA come forward and say "look everybody, we found these strange artifacts on mars but we don't know what they are!"

why don't they just say it? because they are hiding something.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by lazzarus

Key first word there in my post is "Personally" If you don't agree with it, fine, If you don't like my opinion, tough crap.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Chovy

Or because there are no artifacts. Just photos being viewed by people with active imaginations.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join