It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

blind faith

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I have a comment on the general toppic of blind faith.(even though I'm not religious)

People believe in God because they have been raised to believe in God.(I was, but I made up my own mind) They are taught from a very young age that someone is watching out for them and that they are special.

No one wants to believe that they don't matter to the world.(heck I don't, I have trouble with it sometimes)

Anyway, the point is, that people long ago were told that "It rained because God was sad", and things like that. But, we now know this is untrue, that the weather has a scientific purpose, not a spiritual one.

Some people would have nothing to cling to (sorry can't think of any other way to put it) if religion was proved wrong on a world-wide scale. Their minds cannot comprend a universe where they don't matter.

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 12:51 PM
link   
yes i understand this. I was raised to go to church whenever the doors were opened. My mom was a Baptist and she thought that everything was evil. It was actually her attitude towars everything that made me look at my own beliefs and realize that I did not agree with half of what she believed to be so.

But I still have no actual problem with it, of course someone is going to have a strong faith in something that their own aprents taught them was very real from a very young age. It only makes sense.

I actually have no problem with those who pass out tracts etc, because of course they think that what theya re doing is right and they see it as a great way to serve what they believe in.

what scared me was the accidental or unintentional message that she was bringing or maybe even believed. It is this that bothers me. A lack of care or concern for present problems is not at all good and could be dangerous if this attitude is spread, even if not purposely spread.

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I believe people see anything that interferes with their spiritual belief system as "evil". Because it contradicts their beliefs, it must be wrong, and if it goes against their religion, it must be "evil".

People should wake up. I accept others beliefs, they should accept mine. I'm not asking them to say I'm right, just that it's ok to believe in what I do.(nothing)

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehippiedude
Thats funny about the lady in the grocery store because last saturday about 10:30 am i had the Jehovahs knocking on my door...

Actually, this story rings a bell with me as well;
We live with a Mormons Church on the block next to ours (Okay, go ahead & giggle now)...After the first *3* "visits" in less than a week, I got tired of telling them that I already have a Church (while still refusing to tell them *which* church) to make them go away.

My wife & I came up with a plan to *keep them from coming back* & it must've worked, because I haven't seen whiteshirt or tie from any of them at our door for the past 3 years; Our dogs tend to get noisy when anyone knocks on our door, so my wife gets them away from the door before I open it...They still bark a lot, so they can easily be heard, even at the front door. As soon as they start to identify themselves, I interrupted with, "Excuse me, but you caught us at a bad time." Then I turned my head & yelled towards the back, "Can you keep those sacrificial animals quiet?" I turned back to the Mormons & said, "Excuse me...As you were saying...?"

The only response I got from them was wide eyes & dropped jaws, followed by a hasty excuse & quick exit...

I think the comedian Gallagher had it right when he said, "When you're confronted with ignorance & stupidity the only thing you can do is to attack it with ignorance & stupidity, because it's all that they understand."

[Edited on 12-2-2003 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 03:06 PM
link   
heheheh this reminds me of my mormon experience, or my sisteres mormon experience, rather. They came to out house every week for about 3 months because my sister was to shy to tell them no. So she said yes to them coming to our house and telling her about the mormon religion. Me and my boyfriend would always do weird things when they were there it was great! we would play comedic and vile music and run around like crazy people. one day he got a nosebleed while the mormon people were there and he proceeded to smear it all over his face (gross hehe) and all over this white tshirt. he came out wearing that shirt when he would walk by to the kitchen etc. we would also (including my mother) go up to them and tell them funny mormom jokes . it was great. they finally just quit coming one day. some days they would make up lame excuses to leave early and hop on their bikes as fast as possible.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join