It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

blind faith

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I was walking through the grocery store just picking up a few things to eat for my lunches, and a woman came up to me and started talking. She handed me one of those little pamphlets about the christian religion and such as well. I have no idea why she handed me this, but whatever. She said I looked sad and lost (which I dont understand because I was quite happy at the moment) and started talking about political events and such and the oncoming war. she was all like "us soldiers of god are not worried for this is a day of blessings!..blah blah blah"
she basically told me that (since i was just so horribly sad and depressed hah) that I should chear up and "step out of the shadows and look into the light of god"

she told me about how the idea of war didnt bother her.

She said it didnt bother her because god was there for her etc.

So, how can that not bother someone? The killing of millions and millions?
How can someone be so caught up int heir future world that they would not care about what was happening now?

This woman scared me. She had no idea of what is happening. She tried to convince me to not be concerned.

Is this the purpose of the Christian religion?? To give people a reason not to care and not to fight agaisnt certain evil????! Because this is what she preached.

and if there are this many people that think as this lady thinks.. we are all in trouble. Especially when they are trying to teach others to not care as well.

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 11:34 AM
link   
the number one reason there will never be peace in the middle east...

"How can someone be so caught up int heir future world that they would not care about what was happening now?"

As long as one is convinced they are going to their "heaven", then they become less concerned with their actions here and now.... They are only concerned with how they believe their diety will see their actions, instead of their fellow human beings...

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 11:35 AM
link   
It has achieved cult status.

XAOS

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Shocked..........

How can it not affect your lives.
In London people are afraid what with the Ricin houses
being busted lately.People are afraid of an attack and the war hasn't even started yet!

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Typical...one Christian is the so-called REP for all Christians. (rolling eyes)

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 01:01 PM
link   
i never said that. i just said that it is scary that some do think this way, and that they are trying to spread this way of thinking, because it is very dangerous.

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Mirrors: You've just encountered a "pre-trib" fundamentalist -- a Bible-extremist who believes we're living in the End Times and that the hand of Jehovah will descend from the clouds and scoop up all the True Believers (while leaving the rest of us scumbags) and take them to a heavenly home and then turn loose the stuff of Revelations.

Their opposites are the "post-tribbers) who believe that Jehovah comes AFTER the Revelation events.

Both bemoan the fact that the Christian religion is being reviled and met with intolerance -- while preaching intolerance and outright nastiness to other religions. The concept of respecting other faiths and other sects is actually derided.

No kidding.

Most unpleasant bunch I've ever seen.

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 06:58 PM
link   
One question, why do christians want the end of the orld so much? I never heard praise the lord for today is the beggining of your happy and satisfying life!

No, it is always You go hell!!!!! for the end is near and you have not given me enough money! You go to HEELLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!! Your life is evil and sinning, now give me money so I can pray for your soul!

Why can't they ever be positive? And I have seen people who don't like change, people who'd rather sit with a old am/fm radio writing their thoughts in a journal rather watching tv while typing in their pc journal. But christians? They killed people for saying earth was round! Or wasn't center!(Later on they gave you a choice of life imprisonment or death) Airplane? Satan. Jazz music? Satan. Car? Satan. Anything new? Satan. You still have groups out there that say earth flat and center and everyone is lieing and satan.(A very small group, but still stupid, I mean there)

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Byrd, you're about as wrong as anyone as I've ever seen, but I usually think that about your position, so now surprise. I am a "pre-trib", am aware of the fact that the events of the last several decades point to this being as close to the end-times as one can imagine, yet I do not feel that is cause for a Christian to take a hands-off approach to current events.

For the last few decades, Christians have been told that they are not to have a say-so in the ongoings of this nation, that everyone else is suppose to run the show, elsewise its a violation of a mythological "separation of church and state". Some have even assumed such a role willingly, an act (or lack of action) that is not biblical, and, in my opinion, lazy and cowardly.

To say that one should not be concerned with the current events, and should not do their part in civic duties is nonsense. To say, however, that one will find peace in Christ because no matter how the end of the day turns out, you are in His hands once you accept Him, is quite another. This may be what she meant, I don't know. But whatever the case is, understand this, Christianity is like any other walk of life, some of them are a little unstable, and some of them are not what one would call "solid in the knowledge", and there are cults that use the Bible and pervert the word of God. What the case is, I can't tell you, but it sounds more like a nutbag with a handful of pamphlets.

Sorry for the bad experience, though.

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 08:05 PM
link   
"To say, however, that one will find peace in Christ because no matter how the end of the day turns out, you are in His hands once you accept Him, is quite another. This may be what she meant, I don't know"

But I really do not believe this is what she meant, or atleast this is not what she said. I did not even *mention* anything about the possibilities of war. she just brought it up and said that it was something that no one should worry about. she did not seem to care of what the world was coming to and *absorbed* in her ideas of what would be for her and others of her faith.

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I'm sure she meant well, as most people of all ideologies do, but she is just a bit off-kilter. That is to say, she might be a card or two short of a full deck. Is it possible that her elevator doesn't quite have the wherewithall to make it to the top? Might you even say that the bread loaf was pulled out of the oven just a wee bit too soon?
Or another possibility, she is a new convert that has hit the road to spread the Word before she even knows how to spell word?

The news of the Gospel is good, the message is real and you really don't need to leave this world without it, but let's face it. Some of us saved folks are a bit nuts!

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 09:58 PM
link   
"That is to say, she might be a card or two short of a full deck. Is it possible that her elevator doesn't quite have the wherewithall to make it to the top? Might you even say that the bread loaf was pulled out of the oven just a wee bit too soon? "

hehehehe

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Ill tell you, some christians think they know what your thinking
and just want to give you peace.

she meant well in her heart.

Some have what is called faith in miracles and stuff they see which
gives them even more faith.

byrd dont tell us why you think someof us believe because you have never
seen what they have seen which are miracles of christ.

But we are fundamentalist?

and what do pagans do, believe in magic and false gods? which cannot bare any miracles in a huge way other than provoking the magic
of satan.

What about all of the many stigmatist who bleed from the face and hands?

your tellling me they are blind brainwashed fundies?

only cause you need an excuse to deny christ.

james not everything is a bad message, only cause the times are so tuff and bad.

james i love your soul and want you to enjoy eternal life after death in pure peace, and i hope to god
you never taste hell.

not all christians condemn people to hell.

why?

because our (bible) tells us if we judge someone we are hypocrites and will be judged even harder, so if anyone
condemns you to hell or says your going their they are not living by gods teachings.

Btw, the lady was not nuts, shes just happy about learing about her saviour, and you should pray for her other than
questioning her sanity.

peace.

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 11:01 PM
link   
TC: Did I err in my definition of pre-and-post-tribbers? I thought I got it correct (I've hung around a pre-trib board for around 5 years now) but there are days when I go brain-foofed and mix up definitions.

The theology I quoted was from the (very large, very active) pre-trib board and is what they've been preaching about for a long time. I didn't like it when I first saw it (though I like some of the folks) and I don't like the intolerance now. While it might not match the theology of all pre/post trib Christians, it does match that of several thousand pre-tribbers on that board (their current membership is 6,000 +)

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 11:25 PM
link   
LoL xaos, cult statis, technically it's achieved that? HAHAHA.

Christianity has ALWAYS been a Cult, as it branched off of Judaism, following the preachings of one man as if he were a god.

The Definition of a cult is:

Devoted attachent to, or extravagant admiration for, a person, principle, etc. Especially when regarded as a fad; as, the cult of nudism.

Christianity falls into the "admiration of a person" category

And the Catholic church calls us Freemasons cultists

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Feb, 11 2003 @ 01:51 AM
link   
But before you didn't have people passing you leaflets like the Raelians.

XAOS

posted on Feb, 11 2003 @ 06:25 PM
link   
...I still think that the government could save us all a lot of money that normally goes to the Post Office if they'd just let the Jehovah's Witnesses deliver the mail...

posted on Feb, 11 2003 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truth

because our (bible) tells us if we judge someone we are hypocrites and will be judged even harder, so if anyone
condemns you to hell or says your going their they are not living by gods teachings.

im an athiest, but i jus wanna say that ur a #in moron

in every islammrelated topic u said that its a false religon etc etc and stuff about muslims quran etc is that not judgging? is that not against crihsts teaching as u call it?

ur an idiot

posted on Feb, 11 2003 @ 11:06 PM
link   
We were not kidding about the Taking Back ATS message.

BEEF is banned.

posted on Feb, 11 2003 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Thats funny about the lady in the grocery store because last saturday about 10:30 am i had the Jehovahs knocking on my door and of course the night before i was up till 5 am drinking a 30 pack of beer with my friends playing everquest(which this friday Command & Conquer will be coming out) i heard the bell ring and went and opened the door, thinking who in their right mind is coming over to my house this early on a saturday? lol i know i probably looked like the devil's stepchild with that early morning hair and still smelling of beer and told them i work the night shift, which is a total fabrication to cover up my fondess for beer and they gave me their watchtower magazine and said they would comeback another day, i doubt they will. But about 5 years ago i was living in a different location and again on a saturday morning 2 ladies woke me up from a peaceful slumber from the Jehovahs and wanted to talk, so i decided to throw a wrench in their gears and asked them what is their beliefs about E.T.s and they both looked at each other said they didnt know and would get back to me in a week or two. They never showed.....................dont these people understand i like to sleep in on saturday mornings? lol

[Edited on 12-2-2003 by thehippiedude]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join