It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just a thought - Catgut?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Production:

In order to prepare catgut, the intestines are cleaned, freed from fat, and steeped for some time in water. After that, the external membrane is scraped off with a blunt knife. The intestines are then once again steeped for some time, in an alkaline lye, and then smoothed and equalized by drawing out. Next, they are subjected to the antiseptic action of the fumes of burning sulfur, dyed if necessary, sorted into sizes, and twisted together into cords of various numbers of strands according to their uses. The best strings for musical instruments are reputedly from Italy, and are called “Roman strings.” It is found that lean animals yield the toughest gut.[4]
Wiki

Like I said just thinking out loud really, this could be useful knoledge... I know you wont want to be making high end tennis racquets when your out in the sticks, but maybe fishing lines? Bindings for shelters stuff like that?

I thought it was an interesting idea, anyone else out there want to chime in?

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Maybe in a few generations after SHTF. Right now people can stock up on things that take a lot less work. Still good knowledge to pass on to future generations.

Hope I don't kill this thread.

I imagine there will be many cats by then.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
While that is very useful info...I think that I will stick to grapevines and and yucca thread...I don't think I could stomach (no pun intended) making anything from guts...

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Well after you've eaten the flesh of an animal you can use the bits that you would otherwise throw away, may as well get creative.

That being said a reel of heavy fishing line would easily fit the bill but you never know!

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Haven't you heard of Chitlins??

If I had the string already, I may boil up some chitlins... if I'm hungry enough.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonking76

I googled that - nice! Food is food though, I'd eat it (like you IF I was that hungry)

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I do know that the native americans used every bit possible on any animal that they killed. Like buffalo bladders made good water carriers...hoofs were even ground and used... I ain't no prissy girly girl type unless I have to be...
I have cleaned and beheaded fish, I have skinned and gutted deer, I have cleaned doves, rabbits, squirrels, you name it. If it came down to a have to situation I would do it!

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
A few years back I was given a deer hide with the fur on it. I looked up how to cure it using salt. It took months but I had a usuable hide when I was done.

My point is that we should all be practicing skills that will come in handy later.

1) Sewing
2) Weaving
3) Spinning
4) Hunting
5) Fishing
6) Nail less carpentry (using joining)
7) Cheese making
8) brewing

Practice makes perfect

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Deer sinew also is good, it is resilient and lasts a long time if cared for properly.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
The worst thing about chitlins is when they haven't been scraped well enough.

Man it is gross.

I would rather eat possum.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greenize

I think I have just fallen in love.

I do know that the native americans used every bit possible on any animal that they killed. Like buffalo bladders made good water carriers...hoofs were even ground and used... I ain't no prissy girly girl type unless I have to be...
I have cleaned and beheaded fish, I have skinned and gutted deer, I have cleaned doves, rabbits, squirrels, you name it. If it came down to a have to situation I would do it!

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greenize

I think I have just fallen in lust.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Great now when people's cats die they can turn them into intrument strings.

Not a one liner.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
If you can use them as instrument strings, would it also be possible to use them for bow strings? If I remember correctly, in the movie Jurassic Park, they used a piano string to make the water vibrate in the cup... could you also use cured cat-intestines to make a very taught string that would act as a trap/sensor for your fort.

new topics

top topics

join