It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Music Dieing? Or am I just getting OLD

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
try checking out some frank zappa. there is a vast catalogue of music there spanning many generes and lots with fantastic guitar. give it a go

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Also, try The Spacious Mind. A band similar to Pink Floyd but modern. Beware though, because the songs are mostly over 12 minutes long.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Whine Flu

12 minutes is really only medium length, almost all of Devil Doll's music is over an hour.

Diff. band but I think these guys are pretty original, you might not like them so much though.

[edit on 10-7-2009 by nick_napalm]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Starting an Allman Brothers fan out on Anaal Nathrakh?

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whine Flu
Starting an Allman Brothers fan out on Anaal Nathrakh?

I like the Allman Brothers also, but before in the thread he was asking for original music. So I provided some.

[edit on 11-7-2009 by nick_napalm]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Touche, touche!

I don't really know what to recommend to be honest. Most of the music I listen to isn't really that safe or comfortable music wise unless you've had constant exposure to it.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by nick_napalm

The begining had some of that White Zombie flare! The singing sounds like the guy from System of a Down, or at least "hauntingly" familiar. In the middle there was some strange sound that I liked.. I think it was a guitar. Sounded mid-eastern. I didn't listen to the lyrics. Acceptable, but probably wouldn't listen to it everyday.

whineflu:I like to figure lyrics out on my own. Lyrics used to be the hidden message of a song. Nowadays they just say them in all their glorified "g"ness. IMHO any lyrics that can't have multiple meanings aren't lyrics at all, but boring drivel. ...but I digress, as I said, the lyrics aren't as important to me as the music.

EDIT: Glorified G is a song by pearl jam.. don't "mean" anything by it. just realized how it may sound. It's about wearing a chip on the shoulder.

I've always heard of Zappa, but never intentionally tried to listen to it.. I'll give it a try.

[edit on 13-7-2009 by dragonking76]

[edit on 13-7-2009 by dragonking76]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Personally, I don't think music is really any worse than it's ever been, just as we get older we seem to discover less new stuff, as real life creeps in and I can't spend hours reading-up on new stuff. Being an adult sucks!

Although, I do think there are major issues with the music industry, constantly spewing out carbon-copies of the same tired formats. Like maybe the kids won't notice if we keep releasing the same records with different faces? Hey, it's cheap! Although you wonder why kids would rather buy XBox/Playstation games??? The industry is in terminal decline because record labels aren't releasing exciting records, it's only the small indies limited for promotion money and people that self finance that are doing anything (mostly) worth listening to. I'd be more excited that a kid in his bedroom can release a record than coldplay in a mega-studio can.

Anyway, I can rant on that stuff for ages...

Here's some recommendations for you, I think you might like them:

Drive-By Truckers, possibly the best live band I've ever seen and really nice guys too, if you like Allman Brothers...

Tornados, I saw them play this in the UK weeks after the New Orleans floods, the venue was mostly burly guys in their 30s - not a dry eye in the house as the main singer was telling us about getting phonecalls about friends they'd lost and how pissed he was at the President.

Some Ben Weaver

If I had a god everyday there'd be thanks for Tom Waits, an amazing, eclectic catalogue...

The Hold Steady - decent modern rock, bit Springsteen...

Bonnie "Prince" Billy - bit of an odd voice, but I love him and the 2nd song is heartbreaking, especially the Johnny Cash version.

Some Cat Power...

Ok, some time for someth stuff you might not like, but that I think's pretty cool.

The mighty Fugazi...

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Music isnt dying.....its just in a state of limbo right now.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Also, how do you feel about Jazz? There are so many variants out there on this theme, you may well find something there you can start an interest in, although there's so much to explore, once you start...

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Sorry in advance for capitalization.

I like a lot of what you've put up there Jokei.

Drive by truckers is the type of music I currently like. I will be keeping an eye out for that.

Tom Waits reminded me of Leonard Cohen.. I like Cohen better.

The hold steady reminded me of early foofighters and some of the bands like them Presidents of the United States comes to mind. Kind of comedic, but fun. I would not change the channel on the radio.

Bonnie prince has some kind of Dylan thing going, I will have to review it further... which means it will probably grow on me.

Cat Powers sounds like several other female artists out there who are following a little bit of Janis, which I like, would never purchase or seek it out, but I'd listen to it.

Godspeed you? I admit I didn't listen to all of this. I like violin/fiddle though, will likely give it another listen when I'm on a better computer for listening.

Do make say think. I really liked this, is that the name of the band? ATHIR?

Battles: This one I almost stopped, but I listened a little further, and a little more. Interesting, new, thought utube was goofing up for a minute there on the first song. I'd say it's a new sound... the beat isn't disco, it's just a basic rock beat. Interesting is the only word I can think of to describe it. Not bad at all.

Fugazi - If alternative was sloppy this takes it to the extreme. Don't think I like this one.

Jazz and Zappa go in the same boat for me, the unknown.

I may have heard it, but not sure if I would recognize the artist or genre. I know they are completely different, except from my perspective.

I've heard Jazz in movies when the characters go to jazz clubs, but I figure that is only some stereotypical stuff and not the full gist of the genre. I do like swing music, so perhaps that is close enough to say I like Jazz.

If/when you have the time list a few no matter how "common" and I'll check them out.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Excellent, glad you got some stuff you liked...

Do Make Say Think is the name of the band, they're on the same record label as Godspeed You Black Emperor (Constellation), which is a pretty interesting record label.

Battles used to be (partly) Don Caballero - heavier and no vocals.

Bonnie Prince Billy is definitely a grower...

As for jazz, I like classic Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, but mostly listen to stuff like -

Sun Ra

and that's reminded me of Calexico, who're just pretty cool, think they're from Texas...?

Charles Mingus

Ornette Coleman

Thelonius Monk

Kinda getting into some world stuff recently too, there's a part of me that's terrified of turning into some of the people I know that like world music
/

Amadou and Mariam are really good fun...

Tinariwen I find really interesting

And from a more latin field - Rodrigo Y Gabriella

Let me know what you think.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Yep it certainly is with the modern rock(cough POP indy bands in england)
they all sound the same,have the same thin sounding guitar tones and are not normaly that good in arranging songs!

I wouldnt listen to the new stuff(apart from proper rock and metal bands)but have learnt a lot of cover tunes for one of the bands i am in

Its only when I learnt them and listned to the words I realized how bad they were.Verse and chorus sections are musicaly the same,and most tunes are begging for a key change or an uplifting chorus section that never turns up.Dynamics through the tracks are lifeless,and the lyrics are corny as hell

there used to be lots of good bands,never been a big fan of Oasis but at least they wrote great tunes with catchy chorus sections rather than the run of the mill stuff these days

the youngsters love it,as they know no better-its not a musical snobbery thing as one of my favorite bands is the sex pistols-they could hardly play but at least steve jones and crew had catchy tunes

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I don't really LIKE classical, but I listened to some classical music the other day because I was trying to think, imagine, idealize. I noticed some of them had been reused. The only one I can remember off the top of my head was one that was used by Jim Morrison on his poetry album.

Some of this great music hasn't been reused yet, and would certainly be a good place for inspiration. Going to throw the lyrics of that poem on here, can't remember what classical song the doors were playing in the background, atm.

"Feast of Friends"
"Wow, I?m sick of doubt
Live in the light of certain South
Cruel bindings
The servants have the power
Dog men and their mean women
Pulling poor blankets over our sailors
I?m sick of dour faces
Staring at me from the T.V. Tower
I want roses in my garden bower; dig?
Royal babies, rubies
Must now replace aborted
Strangers in the mud
These mutants, blood meal
for the plant that?s plowed

They are waiting to take us into the severed garden
Do you know, how pale and wanton thrillful
Comes death in a strange hour
Unannounced, unplanned for
like a scaring over-friendly guest you?ve brought to bed
Death makes angels of us all and gives us wings
Where we had shoulders, smooth as ravens claws

No more money, no more fancy dress
This other kingdom seems by far the best
Until it?s other jaw reveals incest
And loose obidience to a vegetable law

I will not go
Prefer a feast of friends
To the giant family" -- Jim Morrison

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I totally agree. I cant really put my thumb on why "popular" music quality has stooped to this level. But i think people just like simple catchy music. In the goldern age of rock and roll there was definately bad music. If you ignore the below-par music and concentrate on listening better quality music you'll find there is still "good" music around.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join