It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jail plan for owning crossbows, flamethrowers

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

Originally posted by zorgon
You can also own these...

What the hell is that????

Seriously is that a mock up or a photoshop or something? Man that thing is bonkers - looks Russian to me?

It's for hunting praire dogs. Those things can take a lot of abuse, and an injured one is really dangerous, so you have to get them with a single shot.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Last Man on Earth

Any fights with sticks and rocks cannot be considered battles, let alone be part of a war. If you can find a historical example to support your argument, please let me know, otherwise I'll assume you're creating straw-man arguments about the nature of mankind's violent tendancies.

A spear is a stick with a rock or metal point. An arrow is a stick with a stone or metal point. Large stones were used in warfare against castles, flung by catapults. Even today in the Middle East rocks are used against armed troops. Clubs are still commonly used in a variety of scenarios.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.freerepublic.com...

[edit on 2009/7/4 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by The Last Man on Earth

Catapults fired rocks, and were made from sticks. Seems sticks and rocks can in fact be verry devastating weapons on the battlefield.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
This is what happens when the Brits invade your country via legitimate methods of immigration. They create the same social nightmare they fled from, such is their level of stupidity.

Fortunately the US restricts British immigration, something the Australians may want to consider.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
In the US, flamethrowers are fine for ownership, and a crossbow is just another weapon that Americans can own.

Flamethrowers, generally carried by lazy folks - are for when you don't want to walk so far to set someone on fire.

I'm telling you the God's truth - all this stupidity and weapons banning in Australia and Britain is a crock of dookey.

Does this not bother anyone over there? You're basically at the mercy of whoever elects to violate the law?

Like - a criminal?

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Since when has anyone hear of a maniac going on a rampage witha crossbow or flamethrower? Wait even better...ever take some vodka in yuor mouth, then blow it out with a lighter? Ive done it..does tha mean i could get 14 years for having some fun? Supopse i put a lighter up to a can of spray paint(as ive done MANY times in my early teens) and, i dunno, for the mindfless fun watch fire come out...14 years just for that?
But its ok for Isralie army men to use humans as shields, its ok for the FED to screw us in taxes, and make it so we cant make ends meet..so in the meantime, they decide to outlaw bows n arrows?
Congress needs a nice afternoon of electroshock treatment or stop doin those CIA confiscated drugs...
God forbid one day, i make a sling shooter out of a rubber band warpped around my thumb and finger, and launch a piece of paper as small as a spitball outta it..14 years just for that

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
i like bows. and swords.
i vote for them to be not illegal.
people will kill each other any way they want. how about a 12 pound sledgehammer? outlaw it? an all metal axe? a pillow in the night? poison? strangulation? shall we ban bare hands? everyone can wear big mittens all the times so we can't scratch each other, or hold onto any dangerous artifact, say, like a pen or pencil. you can stick that right in someone's ear or eyeball, or through their nose, causing instant death. NASTY.
mightier than the sword, too, eh.
let the silliness continue.....

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   
No Nail files and clippers on airplanes --- you might high jack the plane

No shoes on planes because you might have a bomb in your heel

Bottles of water a no no... might be nitro

Will need to eliminate pianos because that piano wire is a favorite 'silent' killer

Tell ya what... the 'terrorists' won
They have us trembling in our booties

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   
LOL@ piano wire, silent weapon...that was CLASSIC and priceless

Im temtpted to want to email congress or obama, tell them im thinking of taking up hunting, a LEGAL sport. However, since yuor going to outlaw crassbows and possibly archery stuff....what am I to use? You make it seem its much more reasonable and acceptable to use, i dunno a 30 or 50 caliber anti aircraft machine gun for the kill! lol, shoot the deer witha full magazine.. Maybe i can camafluge myself and get close to a deer..fill a 24 oz. empty plastic bottle up with gasoline, light it , then step on it, simulating a falme thrower! (did this a few times when i wa yonger)...

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

aye its a Lahti - and its finnish
- they were being sold in the late 1960`s for $90 with woodern case , and 4 clips of ammo - just before the destructive weapon laws came in.

now they fetch upwards of $10k

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Hey if things get any worse for yous down there, we can always send you rock in a sock, will mail in seperate package, so no one will know.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

Riots are not battles. I'm not suggesting that rocks can't be used as weapons, of course, I'm simply saying that crossbows were designed by humans to kill other humans.

Either way, I don't necessarily agree with banning them, I was just pointing out that crossbows are indeed that dangerous.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   

and what about bows then?

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
here in australia you need to be a liscenced firearm owner to purchase a crossbow, but also a member of a deer hunting club or similar...you have to give/show a reason where and how the purchase of a crossbow will be used...for example, your a member of a deer hunting club and have permit to shoot deer with the cross bow...other than that.....it is illegal.

yes, they are getting pretty stupid with their laws in this countr.....you have to be liscenced now to collect and own swords.....

I can almost guarantee you that the enxt time someone goes on a rampage here, they'll amend the law to make anything over a single shot rifle illegal...mark my words!

I myself might get me a bow and start practicing just in case.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Yeah crossbows are military weapons, in the middle ages! Bows too especially the longbows and the huns composite bow. That's in the middle ages, as far I can tell we're no longer in there... or are we?

Interesting trivia: Crossbows still remain as the only weapon ever banned by the Pope. Not nukes, bioweapons or anything else has ever been banned.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Well, that doesn't stop a crossbow from being able to kill people!

Also, the Pope only banned crossbows for use against other Christians; it was perfectly permissible to use them against pagans and Muslims.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Last Man on Earth,

You do know that cars kill more people than guns..yes...and most certainly more than crossbows. How about swimming pools?? Mopeds and scooters. Bicycles??

Not all of us out here have a television/public school education and can think further than our next fear or insecurity.

And bows of all types have been around for hundreds of years as have spears, knives, swords and axes.

Oh..bicycles have been around ..what..about a hundred years or so??

You do understand that the obvious logical and reasonable solution to this dilemma is to get rid of people...yes??

That is what it is going to gel down to in order to put enough ointment on someone elses insecurities and fears.

I really love and respect the insecurity of a government who says it is ok to train me to go off and fight thier dirty wars for them but I cannot own a tool or weapon. That speaks volumes for the insecurity of governments and their desperate need for more ointment. I think government needs the ointment on thier backside..not on us and particularly the Australian Government.
One has to go to public school and get a television education to get that stupid. Ordinary people are not that stupid.

Oh...by the way..I handle uranium fuel cells to go into Nuclear Reactors. Doesnt that give you the warm fuzzies??

LOL LOL..public education!!

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Crossbows dont kill people. People kill people.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Crossbows dont kill people. People kill people.

While this is largely true, it would be a bit more sensible to at least disarm the people who wish to do the killing, would it not, and force them to use weapons of lesser lethality? At least the victim has more of a chance if the assailant is using a stick. Like running away, for instance.

Originally posted by orangetom1999
Last Man on Earth,

You do know that cars kill more people than guns..yes...and most certainly more than crossbows. How about swimming pools?? Mopeds and scooters. Bicycles??

Of course. I imagine in the Middle Ages more people were killed by horses than crossbows.

Originally posted by orangetom1999Not all of us out here have a television/public school education and can think further than our next fear or insecurity.

I have a university education and no television. Make of that what you will.

Originally posted by orangetom1999And bows of all types have been around for hundreds of years as have spears, knives, swords and axes.

Oh..bicycles have been around ..what..about a hundred years or so??

I suspect I have a slightly better grasp of history than you do, judging from this segment of your post. Spears, bows, axes and knives are all pre-historical, and swords have been around since the Bronze Age.

Originally posted by orangetom1999You do understand that the obvious logical and reasonable solution to this dilemma is to get rid of people...yes??

I don't believe the eradication of people is logical or reasonable.

I was also not advocating for the illegalisation of crossbows, just arguing that they are still very dangerous weapons.

Originally posted by The Last Man on Earth
Either way, I don't necessarily agree with banning them, I was just pointing out that crossbows are indeed that dangerous.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   

While this is largely true, it would be a bit more sensible to at least disarm the people who wish to do the killing, would it not, and force them to use weapons of lesser lethality? At least the victim has more of a chance if the assailant is using a stick. Like running away, for instance.

Because they are criminals they don't care about the law. When you ban weapons you only hurt law abiding citizens. Criminals will still get weapons that are banned.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join