It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is big Pharm behind the recent Anti-Drug commercials?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
There is a pretty funny video I had liked to watch. It is as follows:

Then I started thinking. Doesn't this video somewhat encourage and educate kids to "look inside" medicine cabinets to find out what their parents are hoarding? Just seems like basic advertisment from Big Pharmacecutical companies to promote, educate and encourge others to search for prescription drugs.

This commercial was paid for by The National Drug Control Policy Partnership for a Drug Free America. I need to further my research and find out who exactly they are. I do know that they receive their money from the White House Drug Policy.

www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov...

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I would not be surprised considering the drugs from pharm companies kill more people than any street drugs do, and surpringly most drugs nowadays that are abused are prescription pills. Atleast with young people prescription pills are abuses WAY more than street drugs, except of course stuff like pot. But pots harmless.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
You know, that's a really interesting point you make and it's been something that's crossed my mind more than once. It would make sense for Pharmaceutical companies to want to brainwash people into believing that the only drugs one the face of the planet that can make you feel better are the ones that are legal.

One thing that particularly irks me about this site is the fact that talk about any "illegal" drug use is banned. Well, I'm going to come right out and say that Marijuana can do a person so much better than the poison that Big Pharm puts out, and yes they want you to believe that it's not necessarily bad, but rather it's "evil" and down right stupid. When in fact taking the drugs that are "legal" cause many more problems than they solve.

We've all seen the Lawsuit commercials where "If you took this, then call us". And everyone knows about the "side effects" of things like Riddlin, Morphine and various other drugs.

These people are out to lie to you! And they want to steal your money. It's a snake oil business for the 21st century.

And don't get me started on the FDA. . . lousy bunch of A**holes.

[edit on 4-7-2009 by Shamrock87]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I would not be surprised either. In fact, "negative reinforcement" is a standard ploy, used to motivate others into doing exactly what you tell them not to.

And, in fact, the whole "Don't take drugs - except for the ones that make us money" is so two-faced and disgusting, I seethe with anger when I see the persecution of some people in the War on (some people who use some) Drugs.

This will change when profit is no longer a motivation for controlling people... Bring in abundance!

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shamrock87
You know, that's a really interesting point you make and it's been something that's crossed my mind more than once. It would make sense for Pharmaceutical companies to want to brainwash people into believing that the only drugs one the face of the planet that can make you feel better are the ones that are legal.

One thing that particularly irks me about this site is the fact that talk about any "illegal" drug use is banned. Well, I'm going to come right out and say that Marijuana can do a person so much better than the poison that Big Pharm puts out, and yes they want you to believe that it's not necessarily bad, but rather it's "evil" and down right stupid. When in fact taking the drugs that are "legal" cause many more problems than they solve.

We've all seen the Lawsuit commercials where "If you took this, then call us". And everyone knows about the "side effects" of things like Riddlin, Morphine and various other drugs.

These people are out to lie to you! And they want to steal your money. It's a snake oil business for the 21st century.

And don't get me started on the FDA. . . lousy bunch of A**holes.

[edit on 4-7-2009 by Shamrock87]

Yep, marijuana can be used for SO MANY DIFFERENT things and its so much better for you than most of these legal drugs. Here in California (and more and more states each year) medical pot is legal and its GREAT. I know lots of people with different problems like pain and anxiety... etc and they use and it greatly helps them (and they aren't just trying to get high like a lot of critics of medical pot say, sure they enjoy being high, who doesnt, but it also helps them with their problems). These critics on medical pot are idiots anyways, the way I look at them is they are basically saying that instead of pot people should be using opiates for their pain... how does that make sense? "Take opiates for your pain, because they are legal"... thats the stupidest, dumbest argument I have ever heard lol. Yes, lets all take one of the most addictive substances on the planet for our pain when we could just eat or smoke flowers from a HARMLESS PLANT and it will do the same thing lol. And there literally is medical pot nowadays that is so potent and strong that it has the same pain killing qualities that opiates have, yet its pretty much HARMLESS...

[edit on 4-7-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Although there are a great many stories of the efficacy of some drugs...or herbs... I do believe it is against the T&C to discuss the illegal variety, and specifically admit to personal use.

I'm not policing here, but just thought I would point this out so that if (but more likely when) your post is deleted... You'll not be surprised.

But believe me, Big Pharma is behind the fact that a most benign and beneficial herb is illegal.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu
Although there are a great many stories of the efficacy of some drugs...or herbs... I do believe it is against the T&C to discuss the illegal variety, and specifically admit to personal use.

I'm not policing here, but just thought I would point this out so that if (but more likely when) your post is deleted... You'll not be surprised.

But believe me, Big Pharma is behind the fact that a most benign and beneficial herb is illegal.

I know I figure my post will get deleted, I even added a edit in the bottom saying if anything I am saying is out of line for the mods to delete it. I however do have a prescription for it and its completely legal in my state so I don't see why I shouldn't be able to talk about it because I see others on here talk about their prescriptions...

Edit: Ahh whatever, I went back and edited out the parts where I talk about my personal experience with it, I don't wanna get banned or something lol.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
That's like saying, "Don't think of a pink elephant!" Of COURSE that's who's behind this! Duh!
The more addicts raid medicine cabinets, the more prescriptions are written to make up the deficit (except for certain select items like Schedule II narcotics which in most cases, physicians won't replace if lost or stolen).

This discussion actually points to a much bigger issue where mass media is concerned... you really can learn just about anything you want if you just take the time to look around. Putting something like that on TV as an ad that runs throughout the day serves up ideas on a big, fat silver platter! At least with the Internet, you have to Google it first (put in a little effort before getting rewarded).

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeasahtheseer
I know I figure my post will get deleted, I even added a edit in the bottom saying if anything I am saying is out of line for the mods to delete it. I however do have a prescription for it and its completely legal in my state so I don't see why I shouldn't be able to talk about it because I see others on here talk about their prescriptions...

Edit: Ahh whatever, I went back and edited out the parts where I talk about my personal experience with it, I don't wanna get banned or something lol.

I suppose the mods are glad to see that. [smile] Personally, I would have wished it to stay. You spoke so much truth, and made your point well. Too bad we must maintain "ignorance" to keep the rest of the site in the sights of search engines and blocking software.

And it's mainly because people sabotaged efforts to have informational and rational discussions. Now whether that sabotage was intentional or just because some are penile members... We'll leave to speculation.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   

I would not be surprised either. In fact, "negative reinforcement" is a standard ploy, used to motivate others into doing exactly what you tell them not to.

And, in fact, the whole "Don't take drugs - except for the ones that make us money" is so two-faced and disgusting, I seethe with anger when I see the persecution of some people in the War on (some people who use some) Drugs.

This will change when profit is no longer a motivation for controlling people... Bring in abundance!

"Negative Reinforcement" does not mean demonizing particular conduct or behaviors, e.g., prescription drug abuse, in order to secretly encourage the same conduct as some kind of "forbidden fruit."

Think of negative reinforcement as taking something negative away in order to increase a response. Imagine a teenager who is nagged by his mother to take out the garbage week after week. After complaining to his friends about the nagging, he finally one day performs the task and to his amazement, the nagging stops. The elimination of this negative stimulus is reinforcing and will likely increase the chances that he will take out the garbage next week.

The concept you seem to be referencing is commonly referred to as "reverse psychology."

[edit on 5-7-2009 by andrewh7]

[edit on 5-7-2009 by andrewh7]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by andrewh7

"Negative Reinforcement" does not mean demonizing particular conduct or behaviors, e.g., prescription drug abuse, in order to secretly encourage the same conduct as some kind of "forbidden fruit."

You may note I put that in quotes... I meant that as an ironic usage. You are right, of course.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   

I would not be surprised considering the drugs from pharm companies kill more people than any street drugs do, and surpringly most drugs nowadays that are abused are prescription pills. Atleast with young people prescription pills are abuses WAY more than street drugs, except of course stuff like pot. But pots harmless.

Do you have any solid evidence to back up those 2 pearls of wisdom?

Edit: I did find one article, but he's comparing adverse affects with prescription drugs to deaths from recreational drugs.

Prescription Drugs More Likely to Kill You than Recreational Drugs

The only death from prescription drug # he listed is:

Fatalities from adverse drug reactions – more than 4,800 of them -- accounted for 23 percent of all adverse reaction reports in the first quarter of 2008! (This is a 3 percent increase in prescription drug deaths from the last calendar quarter of 2007.)

And he says:

Compare this to the death toll from illegal drugs -- which is about 10,000 per year -- and you begin to see the magnitude of the problem that the pharmaceutical industry is propagating.

So he says there are about 10,000 illegal drug deaths per year compared to 4,800 for adverse reactions from prescription drugs.

[edit on 7/5/09 by Ferris.Bueller.II]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II

Do you have any solid evidence to back up those 2 pearls of wisdom?

Edit: I did find one article, but he's comparing adverse affects with prescription drugs to deaths from recreational drugs.

Prescription Drugs More Likely to Kill You than Recreational Drugs

The only death from prescription drug # he listed is:

Fatalities from adverse drug reactions – more than 4,800 of them -- accounted for 23 percent of all adverse reaction reports in the first quarter of 2008! (This is a 3 percent increase in prescription drug deaths from the last calendar quarter of 2007.)

And he says:

Compare this to the death toll from illegal drugs -- which is about 10,000 per year -- and you begin to see the magnitude of the problem that the pharmaceutical industry is propagating.

So he says there are about 10,000 illegal drug deaths per year compared to 4,800 for adverse reactions from prescription drugs.

Um... No. 4800 per quarter is 19,200 per year. And I dispute these figures wholly.

The 10,000 per year may be close on the illegal use - they cut some drugs with some nasty stuff - because they can - but I know that the prescription drug deaths are much higher. And a certain illegal herb has never, for any reason, killed anyone in over 5,000 years of use by humans.

And since that herb makes up a large segment all substances decreed "illegal." Meanwhile, I know of deaths from pharmaceuticals in a number that suggests that in the States, that 19,200 seems off by at least a decimal point, being more around 192,000 DEATHS per year...

Out of 300 million of us...that seems a small number, and I may have underestimated. But the fact that an unpatentable herb can treat most of what is prescribed these days with a zero death record over 5,000 years...

I would consider most, if not all, to be preventable.

So I offer the better solution... Let my herb go. Release it from its arbitrary binds - or not so arbirary when the profitds it threatens are considered.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
ATS doesn't like us to talk about drugs because Nanny internet protection software will then filter out ATS due to drug talk and then ATS loses ad revenue money. ATS is all about conspiracy and research unless it makes them lose ad revenue.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by CuriousSkeptic
ATS doesn't like us to talk about drugs because Nanny internet protection software will then filter out ATS due to drug talk and then ATS loses ad revenue money. ATS is all about conspiracy and research unless it makes them lose ad revenue.

Ah, true. But I like to believe I have a strong enough point to make, and am managing the degree of discreetness needed to keep things cool...

I do believe that such approach is not not discouraged, when the point is strong in showing the conspiracy that does exist, and is not the "Hey, let's get high" kinda stuff.

Because this is so important a piece in the control mechanism They have on us, such perspective as I present is a good thing. This knowledge must flow.

So, unless the discussion is sabotaged, whether deliberately or just because someone is a penile member, if the level of discreetness is maintained, the points can be made.

(If I'm wrong about this, let me know, those who make these distinctions.)

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Edit: By the way this is jeasahtheseer, I posted earlier in the thread, I lost the password for that account and don't remember my email password so I can't get it back
so I had to make a new email and account .. so mods please don't ban me for having 2 accounts or anything.

I don't feel like searching right now but you can check on google, prescription drug and alcohol deaths are MUCH higher every year than illegal drugs. I think I read somewhere that there is something like 10,00 illegal drugs deaths every year, thats all of the illegal drug combined. And I can't remember the exact numbers, but you can find them easily on google, there is something like upwards of 20,000 deaths form alcohol a year, and 4000 deaths just from methadone, thats ONE single opiate it causes 4,000 deaths a year. Stuff like oxycontin a lot of kids are abusing nowadays I bet there are few thousands deaths from that every year. What I'm getting at is, if you add up all the deaths from the different prescription pills they WAY WAY more than the 10,000 or so deaths from illegal drugs. Then you add alcohol and tabacco to the number (tabacco causes something like 400,000 deaths a year), you have a much, much bigger number than the deaths from illegal drugs.

Also when it says "adverse reaction" I'm pretty sure thats code for overdose. Cause I know for a fact a lot of people overdose on prescription pills, I know people who have. Just in my city every year (I live in oakland and san francisco) I'm sure there are probably upwards of a 1,000 prescription pill deaths, imagine all the united states. Although I know no one who has overdosed on illegal drugs, although I don't know anyone who does hard drugs (except a few people who got oxycontin for pain and stuff like Xanax for anxiety, and the few people I know that got that stuff ended up addicted and one of them overdosed and died on oxycontin).

And btw I don't agree with most drug use. I however have no problem with marijuana and certain hallucinogens (mushrooms, peyote,ayahuasca, basically herbs and plants), and these drugs have NEVER killed anyone.

[edit on 6-7-2009 by InfectedWithDevils]

[edit on 6-7-2009 by InfectedWithDevils]

new topics

top topics

join