It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help, My wife doesn't know why we celebrate July 4th

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Do you not realise that knowledge is a powerful tool....i accept your Simpson concert answer, it explains a lot thank you

p.s. i'm from UK and am willing to build MayFlower II to rescue you from the incessant political colonialism, that's ravaging your country (and ours) with stimulus ver2 et al

Let's sail away together to a distant land, but where has the footprints of elitist fascism not yet trod?

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I would speculate that she is a product of the last few decades of the American educational system. This isn't that surprising. Ask her about locations of countries on a world map or states on a US map.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

What does that video show you besides the fact that there are a lot of ignorant people walking the streets?

The older generation know this stuff. This was all common knowledge back in the day. This should serve as evidence that we are being dumbed down. That older man rattled off the answers without having to even think. You could tell it was deeply ingrained into him at an early age.

We have a nation full of uneducated ignorant masses that know more about American Idol than they do about American Presidents.

I saw a bit where people were asked what month the 911 attacks happened and they had no clue. One lady said October. I am scared to walk outside anymore.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus

Yes, -sigh- the American Revolution was violent. War usually is. The last peaceful war was oh, I dunno, the Great Pillow Fight of 1842?

Actually the Great Pillow Fight of 1842 was exceptionally brutal.

There are tons of people that don't know the true meaning of many holidays. The fact that she's a R.N. shouldn't enter into it though. How many times has she been in the E.R. treating a patient with a fractured tibia and the only thing that would save that patient's life is her knowledge of national holidays? I understand that this is not the point. I'm just saying it shouldn't be that big of a deal that she didn't know.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jesus H Christ
reply to post by weedwhacker

FYI, I asked her on several different occasions, she has been off for 5 days now, well rested, and not on any medications. SHE JUST DOESN"T KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now how many others are out there. Are you all as afraid to find out the answer as I am?????

There is your answer... it is okay to NOT know something -- we all aquire knowledge differently. However, you brought it up to her and she has had the opportunity to go find out... but the fact of the matter is that she doesn't WANT to know. And there is your answer. She doesn't care to learn, and she doesn't care that she doesn't know. Mind boggling.

[edit on 7/6/2009 by Tadarida]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Jesus H Christ

Well.....I'm barely 50, and don't think I'm 'dumbed down'.

But, you have a certain point, in some respects, IF you consider it a generational problem...or an environmental issue (TV being the 'environment').

While writing this, I thought again of the (TV) show "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?" that has recently been developed. Perhaps there is hope, after all...the young'ins (many of them) are learning and knowing better than the 'lost generation'???

edit: I'd love to see a comparison done in, say...France...of average citizens stopped on the street and asked about "Bastille Day".

AND, how many Americans can even say what date their 'independence' is celebrated??? (Franco-Americans need to stay quiet!!
)

[edit on 6 July 2009 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
What I find equally hilarious is that knowing the reason we celebrate the 4th of July is equated with having a mega sized encyclopedia brain.LOL.
God what sort of brain would I have if I knew the reason we celebrated Christmas?Or veterans day? Do you know the reason you celebrate your friggin Birthday????LOL. Com on folks. I noticed it is the women who are responding to this thread emotionally and irrationally. Calm down and sit the next couple of plays out.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I think everyone American whether they are a janitor or a doctor should know why we celebrate the 4th of July and what American independence means. To come up with any sort of excuse is disgusting in my opinion and shows the apathy that is plaguing America. But to the OPer with all due respect you should learn how to better go about informing and educating your wife. My wife is the same way (lol I'm an RN by the way and as you know it's a job MOST people could and would never want to do, so don't be so hard on her). It drives me nuts. But thank god for the current economic climate in our country because her interest has piqued dramtically when it comes to all this.

Oh and to the comment that older people used to know these things. Most older people have no clue how to use a computer. Many older people don't have a lot of the knowledge we have nowadays. That doesn't make them any more intelligent. But their priorities sure were different I'll agree with that.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
There are several causes here, IMO.

1) It is most often referred to as 'The 4th of July', not 'Independence Day'. Someone younger would not have had the same steeping in 'Independence' as opposed to just another hot dog and flag holiday. In the same vein, how many people understand the difference in who is honored on Memorial Day (old Decoration Day) and Veterans Day (old Armistice Day)?

2) What passes for US History these days is appalling. About 7 years ago, I was asked to help a nephew with his US History homework. I looked at the book to get a sense of what we needed to discuss, and I could barely recognize my country. The section on the Revolution was just a couple of pages. Boston Massacre to Independence to Valley Forge to Yorktown, ta-freaking-da, there is no wonder that anyone who is too young to remember the Bicentennial doesn't know what Independence Day is about.

3) Finally, the way and manner in which we celebrate Independence Day can be a bit confusing, as two major elements arise from the War of 1812, and the bombardment of Ft. McHenry at Baltimore.

The modern media doesn't help matters either. Since when did the MSM do a decent story on the history of the signers, the document, or the Revolution?

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Sliick

"How many times has she been in the E.R. treating a patient with a fractured tibia and the only thing that would save that patient's life is her knowledge of national holidays? I understand that this is not the point. I'm just saying it shouldn't be that big of a deal that she didn't know."

Yes, but when people like that go to the polls to pick their representatives and the President, they need to know why the system exists and how the system works. If they vote for those who are just like King George or worse, they will kill our once great Nation. We are losing most of what we had in governance through this ignorange.
Personnaly, I'd rather she vote more intelligently than be than be spiffy in ER.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

"Most older people have no clue how to use a computer. Many older people don't have a lot of the knowledge we have nowadays."
Most older people could survive in situation in which most young people wouldn't have a clue. Computer-centric knowledge won't help you one bit when the grid becomes non-functional.
I was early into the computer science craze, so I'm an oldster that is computer savvy. I also know how to use a slide rule, math tables, and machine and power tools. I know how to make telephone and radio gear from scratch; and, I could build a steam engine.
How would you faire "off the grid"?
To stay on topic, I would also be able to rebuild this great Nation from the ashes because I have gone to some length to know how it came to be, what it stands for, and it works. Survivability seems to be vested in the old people. Shame on the young. They should be the vestage of the future.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Dude, what would your wife do if she knew you were hanging out your dirty laundry?
Don't feel bad, some students in England have never heard of Auschwitz.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jesus H Christ
reply to post by Johnmike

Well duhh. She's a tall blonde smokin hot nurse that clears 60k a year working part time. ohhhh, and I love her.

Ok, this scares me. How did this woman graduate from high school without knowing the reason for celebrating the fourth of July? In the past, one needed to pass a test on the constitution to do so.

My sister-in-law has a daughter that is also a nurse, and as dumb as a box of rocks. I asked her, and she doesn't know why we celebrate, either.

No offense but I wouldn't want either of these two (your wife or my in law neice) taking care of me or anybody else I love in the hospital.

Ever wonder what to buy your wife as a gift for her birthday? Books make great gifts!

edit typo

[edit on 6-7-2009 by Blanca Rose]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Doesn't sound like all the books in the world would make a difference... she doesn't want to learn.

That is the real underlying truth here. Not the generation, not the educational system, not her career choice... the bottom line is that many, many people do not want to learn.

We live at a point in time where the accumulated knowledge of mankind is LITERALLY AT OUR FINGERTIPS!!! And yet... people don't want to know.

I don't get it.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

quote]

No offense but I wouldn't want either of these two (your wife or my in law neice) taking care of me or anybody else I love in the hospital.

Ever wonder what to buy your wife as a gift for her birthday? Books make great gifts!

None taken and yes I have and still do try to get her interested in reading but she is more interested in shopping at Old Navy and Wal-Mart.
That is not a slam or derogatory it is just the truth.

I don't mean that figuratively. I mean that when I am in the yard getting some sun and kicking back with a book and offer to go Barnes and Noble to pick out a book together so we can kick back together she actually is not interested and would rather go to Wal-Mart or Old Navy.

It is not airing dirty laundry. Would this thread be better received if I would have named it "Help, My Best Friend Doesn't Know Why We Celebrate The 4th Of July"? Forget the fact that it is my wife. You are all missing the point completely and getting too emotionally invested in protecting someone who needs no protection. I have not said a word to her other that the previously stated questions. I did not berate or belittle her in any way. I clearly stated in the OP that I would refrain from name calling and that I love my wife. Get over it folks. You are missing the point.

The point is, There is an "American" who has no friggin clue as to why we even celebrate the 4th of July. I am only shocked that it hit so close to home. All I want to know is if other like minded people ( By that I mean ATSers who for the most part I consider well educated on such matters) have close family members who are the polar opposite and totally at the other end of the awareness spectrum.

Now back on topic,
Thank those of you who took the time out to ask your family this question. I hope I didn't stir it up too much in your house. But, we all assume that our loved ones are on the same page as we are sometimes. It can be rather shocking to find out that they are not even reading the same book, so to speak.

[edit on 6-7-2009 by Jesus H Christ]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tadarida
Doesn't sound like all the books in the world would make a difference... she doesn't want to learn.

the bottom line is that many, many people do not want to learn.

I get your point here. Why bother learning something if it doesn't affect your life?

Sad to say I know many people who live this way, and I don't "get it," either.

Those that don't want to know things like why we celebrate on the 4th of July, should not get to celebrate it with a day off. I think they should all have to work, to cover for all the people who do know!

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Tadarida

I could not have said it better. There are way too many people who can not be bothered to learn. I seem to have an unquenchable thirst for knowledge as most ATSers do. I find it appalling that I could not graduate from H.S. but the college professor on the Jay Lenno clip earlier in the thread had no clue why we celebrate the 4th. WTF OVER????
Let me say that again.

There is a college professor who has no clue who we are celebrating our independence from on the 4th. There is also an uneducated H.S. dropout who does. WTF!!!!!?

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Well, for all the folks who think the know about the fourth of July, I have some sad news for you. This can all be verified by a quick Google search...

Actually...

It was July second that the continental congress declared the colonies to be free and independent states. It took two days to actually draft the declaration of independence.

The Full text was published to the public on July 6th...

...AND the official celebration didn't take place for days to weeks after that.

The Declaration wasn't even completely signed by everyone until January 1777, which is the date when the Articles of Confederation were drafted and approved for ratification... and of course, they weren't ratified completely until years later.

Further, we didn't begin officially celebrating with fireworks until 1816...

So, OP...

Do you still think your wife is dense, or was her brainwashing just not successful?

Considering that they (At least I) was taught all of this (I still had to go back and check dates!) in American History 101...

Maybe she is unsure because her grade school indoctrination was wiped out in college, and she just forgot all of the other details.

What is your excuse?

I know - you've kept your indoctrination protocols.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by trace_the_truth

Trace the truth:

You missed the point. The question was about the holiday, not the specific date. The meaning of the holiday (Independence Day) is the point, not historic activities solely confined to July 4, 1776 AD.

You posted a nice little history, until the 'indoctrination' bloviating began.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viking04
reply to post by trace_the_truth

Trace the truth:

You missed the point. The question was about the holiday, not the specific date. The meaning of the holiday (Independence Day) is the point, not historic activities solely confined to July 4, 1776 AD.

You posted a nice little history, until the 'indoctrination' bloviating began.

The meaning is the point? lol.

On the contrary. When you ignore the facts and dates behind the celebration you are essentially ignoring the reasons and practicality of celebrating it on the fourth.

They don't indoctrinate school age children with the details because it's absurd for them to remember all of that. They are just given the minimum propaganda.

After all, what is the holiday called again?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join