It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen is swine flu's first victim in London as ministers warn 40 a day could die by end of summer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Latest on Swine Flu that I found.

Yesterday there were more than 7,400 confirmed cases of swine flu in the UK. If the number of cases continues to grow at the current pace, the UK could have 100,000 new cases every day by the end of August.

Under the Government's pandemic action plan, there are three levels of alert for a serious flu outbreak. Earlier this week the Health Secretary announced the UK would now enter the third, most serious, phase.

sorce
Is defently not making it sound good. Combine that with the Flu thrives in cool environments, as the season moves into the winter months things could get worse.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
How long untill 40 turns into 400 and then 400 into 4000 and so on.

People will be begging for the vaccine.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Also notice at the questtion and answer bit, it says "If i contract swine flu and recover am i immune"

It goes on to say IT WILL MUTATE

Strange choice of words.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

Haydn
First of all, all viresess mutate. That is why there is a different vaccine every year for the flu.
After having the desise there is often some antibodies still floating around in your system, not necessarily immune but a good way not to get it again.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I personally grow tired of the fear mongering. They said exactly the same thing about bird flu and it never happened. As far as I'm concerned they can shove their flu vaccine where the sun don't shine. I won't be taking it in any shape or form. High dosages of vitaminc C & sea salt have always worked for me.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Here is a thread that say other wise ..

Hundred Thousands a day !!!

And I just learned that Norway now have ordered 9.4 million doses, and ofcourse , two for each citizen..

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by kindred

Yep, and mad cow disease, and skin cancer, and aids, and a few other diseases we could name.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Just to put thing into proportions - 40 deaths a day from 100000 infected a day gives actually 0.4 percent lethality. Meaning that one from more then two hundred people who would be infected would die from it.
Population of UK - 60000000 people. If everyone would be infected (and it is certainly not going to be so) 240000 would be dead in the UK alone. This is a lot of people. According to gruesome 2007 lethality statistics i dug up,in a worst possible case it would be leading cause of death , slightly more then deaths from heart/vasculary problems. And since not all would be infected - it would in reality probably be well in the second/third place.
Now this actually goes well with what i said from the beginning of this pandemics - it is going to be a serious problem, but there is absolutly no reason to panic. People must take normal precautions, each according to what he thinks (or preferably what his doc would advise him) is right. Not run for the hills screaming.
And as for mass vaccine - if it will really drop the numbers of dead, there is some justification. However i personally would not get it unless forced by work place. So far never got flu vaccine.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I got to agree that there is a certen amount of fear mongering going on. But you should also keep in mind that it can also be very dangerous. The Spanish flu, as I recall was a strain of the bird flu, did kill about 250,000,000. The swine flu has been here before but did not kill anything near that number, and from what I have heard, has not killed any where near what the common flu has this year. But that does not mean that it can not still be a dangerous flu season.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
Just to put thing into proportions - 40 deaths a day from 100000 infected a day gives actually 0.4 percent lethality. Meaning that one from more then two hundred people who would be infected would die from it.
Population of UK - 60000000 people. If everyone would be infected (and it is certainly not going to be so) 240000 would be dead in the UK alone.

Start up your calculator one more time - It's 0,04 percent and 24.000 people

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Jubjub

Yup, you are correct. I actually did not use calculator, "counting" on my own brain power that clearly failed me. 24000 deaths per year from a flu in worst possible scenario - is actually very very low. Certainly not explaining mass vaccination.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Not to sound like a swine flu supporter, but the one difference in this non-seasonal flu vs regular flu is that it drops teenagers and kids more than the old or very very young.

Problem with that is our future workers are going to be dead and just imagine what the parents will be like after their child dies of swine flu. It is going to cause disruptions at work and probably scar a lot of the parents for the rest of their lives.

Even with that said, I won't be getting the vaccine. And don't forget that seasonal flu will still pop out in winter time to claim it's fair share of the old and young, and possibly do some inter-breeding with swine flu.

top topics

join