It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did a Scandal Sink the U.S.S. Palin?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
It seems like there might be A LITTLE more of a scandel involving the building contracts/contractors of that multi-million dollar hockey ring in Wasilla while she was Mayor, besides this one, ...

Did a Scandal Sink the U.S.S. Palin?

Many political observers in Alaska are fixated on rumors that federal investigators have been seizing paperwork from SBS in recent months, searching for evidence that Palin and her husband Todd steered lucrative contracts to the well-connected company in exchange for gifts like the construction of their home
******SKIP******
SBS has close ties to the Palins. The company has not only sponsored Todd Palin's snowmobile team, according to the Village Voice's Wayne Barrett, it hired Sarah Palin to do a statewide television commercial in 2004.

There is also some speculation that the architect/company that was awarded the contract to design the skating ring ALSO had close ties to Palin!!!

The Book of Sarah (Palin)

Six months before Palin stepped down as mayor in October 2002, the city awarded nearly a half-million-dollar contract to design the biggest project in Wasilla history to Kumin Associates. Blase Burkhart was the Kumin architect on the job—the son of Roy Burkhart, who is frequently described as a "mentor" of Palin and was head of the local Republican Party (his wife, June, who also advised Palin, is the national committeewoman). Asked if the contract was a favor, Roy Burkhart, who contributed to her campaign in the same time frame that his son got the contract, said: "I really don't know." Palin then named Blase Burkhart to a seven-member builder-selection committee that picked Howdie Inc., a mostly residential contractor owned at the time by Howard Nugent. Formally awarded the contract a couple of weeks after Palin left office, Nugent has donated $4,000 to Palin campaigns. Two competitors protested the process that led to Nugent's contract. Burkhart and Nugent had done at least one project together before the complex—and have done several since.

A list of subcontractors on the job, obtained by the Voice, includes many with Palin ties.
******SKIP******
Dorwin and Joanne Smith, the principals of complex subcontractor DJ Excavation & Development, have donated $7,100 to Palin and her allied candidate Charlie Fannon (Joanne is a Palin appointee on the state Board of Nursing). Sheldon Ewing, who owns another complex subcontractor, Weld Air, has donated $1,300, and PN&D, an engineering firm on the complex, has contributed $699.

And then of course there's this allegation/rumor, ...

Sarah Palin Federal Indictment: Palin Embezzlement Charges?

The Huffington Post writer, Shannyn Moore, is calling this the ‘iceberg scandal’. It has to do with the $12.5 million sports complex built while Palin was Mayor of Wasilla, Alaska. The accusation is that the Palin’s inflated the cost of the complex in order to use building materials from the construction of the complex to build their own home. The proof according to her accusers is that both buildings have the same windows, the same wood and the same products.
******SKIP******
According to reports, federal investigators have been looking into this since October 2008. Its also being reported that charges of public corruption and embezzlement are imminent, thus explaining her resignation.

Kinda seems like Palin's skating ring in Wasilla has got some "rabbit holes" in it!

[edit on 7/5/2009 by Keyhole]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

National American style corruption may not mean paying a law enforcement official to get out of a ticket or release from jail, or even a direct bribe to an elected official (as we instead have a system of lobbiests to make "donations"), but often on the much smaller scale of a small town or district, one's friends can be given a contract, and the uproar, if any, stays local. Small town corruption doesn't always make national news, unless, of course, the small town official moves on to bigger waters, where skeletons in the closet float to the surface like dead bodies.

The same small town official probably does engage in public good works and mingles among the town's families, but such actions are not mutually exclusive of steering public, tax payer dollar contracts to friends/people with whom they mingle, keeping those who are not friends out of the bidding process or ignoring the bid entirely.

Were these the same friends/"friends" that helped build the Palin's lake house?

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
While the inbreeding/feeding Palin engaged in with her cronies and contributors is scandalous,m it's about par for the course for many politicians.

It's usually swept under the wrong and State media knows to back off it.

My educated guess is there's something much bigger here that we may or may not find out about.

If every governor, congressman, senator, caught doing something on this relatively small scale, were put under the gun, we'd see resignations weekly.

Mike

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I think this is great news! What is that American aphorism - "Winners never quit, quitters never win."

Next...

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lilitu
I think this is great news! What is that American aphorism - "Winners never quit, quitters never win."

Next...

Seems there is a lot of those sentiments online now!

Sarah Palin is a Loser, a Quitter and a Whiner, and May Be a Crook

Loser, quitter, what's next for Palin?

Sarah Palin Sore Loser, Now Quitter

And I thought it was kind of funny what one person put on Twitter,...

SOURCE

"Loser. Quitter. Palin 2012." Is that the slogan?

[edit on 7/5/2009 by Keyhole]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I've had a few days to ponder this issue and have tried to keep an open mind. I admit that I have always been somewhat troubled by Gov. Palin and the multitude of "unknowns" that surround any politician, not just her.

As far as what actually was behind her decision to resign will undoubtedly come to light in time, I became more interested in how the whole deal went down.

It has been reported that her press conference caught a large number of people off guard, those in her camp and those who oppose her. It appeared to be very hastily constructed and somewhat confusing but here are a few points that I think I have picked up.

It is pretty standard procedure to put news out on a Friday afternoon if you want it to basically be ignored. But something as shocking as this news would surely survive so there had to be another reason for this timing. Enter Michael Jackson. Now there is something that would overshadow even Palin's announcement, and it has. As soon as her story had made the usual rounds and everyone decided that they just didn't have a clue as to what it was all about, all heads turned back to all things Jackson. And then there was that other fact that it was a holiday weekend and all of the regular news anchors were off on vacation. Keith Olbermann must have been screaming at his TV when he heard the news. Someone had to see that they had the perfect storm forming and they had to drop the news now or never. The timing was perfect even if the delivery wasn't. By the time the regular talking heads get back on the job it will be old news and everyone will still be talking about the autopsy, memorial, drugs, kids.....anything Jackson.

As far as why the announcement was made in the first place? Who knows, and quite frankly, in my opinion who cares? My first guess is that there may or may not be some scandal involved but I'm seriously leaning to the great almighty dollar. She has a book coming out, conservatives will shower her with speaking fees, and I give it about a week, tops, before she has a regular gig on FOX. Sean Hannity must be soiling himself he loves her so much. But who knows, she might be a welcome addition and even she would raise the IQ level of that network and would fit right in with the rest of the failed politicos that find their way there. (OK, I apologize in advance. I must just be tired of the whole thing already and it hasn't even happened yet.)

And even IF there is some scandal behind all this it will just raise her ratings as proof that she is indeed a victim and those behind the curtain are just out to get her.

[edit on 5-7-2009 by zlots331]

[edit on 5-7-2009 by zlots331]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
To clear the air, concerning rumors, yes rumors, of an FBI investigation-
The FBI says Palin is not under investigation.
Link to Anch Daily News
So let us put that to rest.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I'd be counting my lucky stars if I were an American right now. This goes to show you what things would have been like had Palin gotten into the white house.

If she doesn't get her way, she'll just have a tantrum, whine about it and then quit in a big huff. Then like a child she'll try and sue anyone who speculates as to her motives for doing so.

How can you not be embarrassed for this woman? You guys really dodged a bullet that's for sure!

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Journey
To clear the air, concerning rumors, yes rumors, of an FBI investigation-
The FBI says Palin is not under investigation.
Link to Anch Daily News
So let us put that to rest.

Yes, and now that the truth on this rumor has been told, we will watch the members doing all the Palin bad-mouthing slink away.

Just like Clarence Thomas before her, Palin has become sort of an anti-christ to liberal democrats. Even in this thread you can see them practically foaming at the mouth over Palin as they also did for Thomas. Why? They're both self-made conservatives that have succeeded without claiming to be the victims of white, male society that liberal democrats say that blacks and females must be. Thus, Palin and Thomas show the lie to the left's entire agenda for women and blacks. Can't have people like this becoming role models, now can we?

[edit on 7/6/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Yes, and now that the truth on this rumor has been told, we will watch the members doing all the Palin bad-mouthing slink away.

As someone who criticized Palin based on her lack of credentials and intelligence, I have no reason to, "slink away." By the way, I supported Thomas so I don't quite fit your tidy profiling.

My opinion of Palin has nothing to do with her gender. In fact, I have a few female friends (who happen to be highly educated) who believe that a candidate such as Palin is injurious to the cause of women in politics.

There are MANY qualified, experienced Republican females who would have been much more formidable candidates (Kay Bailey Hutchison for one). One wonders what low disregard the Republican Party leadership holds their rank and file voters in to believe they would accept Palin.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Night Watchman

There are MANY qualified, experienced Republican females who would have been much more formidable candidates (Kay Bailey Hutchison for one). One wonders what low disregard the Republican Party leadership holds their rank and file voters in to believe they would accept Palin.

Quite low I would imagine. The real power, the corporate country club set
pander to the "moral majority" as they were once known or the Christian right as they are currently called. McCain/Palin was a throw away election.
An experiment if you will; the GOP leadership knew full well the animosity toward President Bush. They had written off the election a complete year ahead of time. They played the faithful like an $5 fiddle to gain favor of those they actually scorn with Palin as the front man. Brilliant A&R.

The new strategy is going to blow everyone's mind. Sorry, Palin isn't part of it. Actually, she never was.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Journey

The FBI will not/can not investigate fiscal wrongdoing that does not cross state lines. Also, if the feds are investigating the building materials company, Sarah Palin may not be a target of the investigation yet. That means nothing. In my former life as an investigator for an Inspector general's office, you'd be surprised how many people we got convicted who were not a target of investigaton for years until all the pieces came together.
Also, please someone answer this question for me. Why, with all the educated, talented people that the GOP actually has, are so many worked up over this rural-state third-tier governor? She may be able to get "the base" riled up (scary in itself), but you guys must understand that the GOP money people wouldn't touch her unless she was the only declared canidate. The red-meat Republicans have got to sober up and back a candidate who has some kind of chance. About 30% at most, would vote for a hard-core conservative. That leaves you 21% short. In order to actually WIN, you've got to appeal to the "mushy middle".

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Even in this thread you can see them practically foaming at the mouth over Palin as they also did for Thomas. Why? They're both self-made conservatives that have succeeded without claiming to be the victims of white, male society that liberal democrats say that blacks and females must be. Thus, Palin and Thomas show the lie to the left's entire agenda for women and blacks. Can't have people like this becoming role models, now can we?

Kudo's for figuring out a way to inject race into a discussion about Sarah Palin resigning....Wow.

The entire McCain campaign acknowledged that a big factor in choosing Sarah Palin to run with McCain ...against McCains wishes...was that they thought a woman running-mate would help him.

Ya know...along the lines of "lets find a GOP version of Hillary Clinton" and we can reel in the independants...the assumption that the voting public is just too dumb to see beyond ..."oh look..a woman running for VP"

President Obama won the election in spite of his race, not because of it. The GOP still doesn't get it...still puts race and gender front and center in their thinking and still underestimates the general public's intelligence.

Sarah Palin was a glaring example of that.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Regardless of whether there is a scandal or not centurion this stunt she pulled just topped any idiot thing she did before.. her prospects for the presidency are a needle in a haystack... mind you though im sure there'd be support across the board for her to run... surely we cant have a boring election season come 2012

They're both self-made conservatives that have succeeded

Palin succeeded by shooting herself in the head? Centurion when are you and the rest of the bushies going to let go the bluffing and step back into reality, the woman is at an end. Whats left is some possible entertainment come 2012.

Thus, Palin and Thomas show the lie to the left's entire agenda for women and blacks. Can't have people like this becoming role models

Palin a role model? let me tell you what Palin really is centurion, shes the plastic covered conservative model of the perfect woman who was paraded around in 2012 to gain favour with social conservatives. However like the previous member who hit the nail on the matter, most conservatives never took her seriously. Shes just a cover girl, attractive but hollow beyond that point, conservatives knew they wouldnt get in so they paraded her around for "exposure" sake...

... Infact I'd bet my bottom dollar even among conservative candidates Palin would probably come third at best in an election. In reality conservative parade around like a strong woman then they protect her and shout sexism at every chance (oh the irony). These social conservatives including yourself on her subconsciously know you will never be obligated to vote for her. Watch the elections come 2012, we'll be sitting here discussing why she didnt even get past super tuesday in the republican primaries.

[edit on 6-7-2009 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
The new strategy is going to blow everyone's mind. Sorry, Palin isn't part of it. Actually, she never was.

Exactly whaaa, infact I doubt shes really part of the social conservative establishments agenda who for most still have traditional views of "gender roles". Sure it was ok for her during 2008 because she was standing beside a man in higher office anyway
Shes just a plastic model to parade around, sometimes to use shield for. In a way its a smart tactic for social conservatives to play the field of "minority" but in reality in a real election that womans best chance is third in line among potential conservatives for the republican nomination.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Yes, and now that the truth on this rumor has been told,

Well, so far the only truth being told is that the FBI isn't investigating her!

That doesn't mean some other agency isn't or won't, or that the investigation has really even started yet.

we will watch the members doing all the Palin bad-mouthing slink away.

I haven't accused her of anything myself, if you notice that in my post, I used words like "speculation", "allegation/rumor".

We'll just have to see what comes of this!

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Another tortured soliloquy

Thank God it's only 1:58min long

Sarah Palin says Hillary Clinton shouldn't whine about tough media coverage

Please , think about it folks....

GL

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Did you catch this little gem from Faux News. Liz Trotta is no liberal nor even moderate conservative. She was made famous or infamous for joking about killing President Obama.

Well watch her tear Sarah a new one. The news host keeps trying to get her back on message that it is the liberals fault.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Watchman

I guess I objected to somebody calling Palin a broad more than the other stuff. I'm not black. But I do think people should be respectful on here. That is very disrespectful to refer to our president as a "house negro", and to say his wife dresses like a prostitute. She in no way dresses trampy. She dresses conservatively, I think. She has more class than to dress llike that.

As far as me defending Palin, it's because I respect her for speaking her mind, and not backing down on her beliefs. I wasn't necessarily saying I would vote for her for president, she is kind of stupid, but she might have a good chance of winning in 2012, because not many other potential candidates are as well-known, or they've run before, and they didn't win before.

I actually supported Hillary Clinton in the last election, but I voted for Obama because I felt I had to. I didn't want another Republican to be president. Obama's okay, but I think he needs to stop spending so much money. Watch what Gerald Celente says about that on Rense- "Obamageddon Is Coming" video. It's toward the top of the headlines today.(Sorry-couldn't figure out how to copy and paste to link it.)

As for the GOP picking Palin to run with McCain, I think it was just to try to get more of the women's vote.

[edit on 7-7-2009 by muffingirl]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join