It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tooth seeing eye

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
This is incredible to learn what the medical world are now doing, as it states in the article, that doctors have performed this surgery almost 50 times.

Ive never heard of it .....

The human race is becoming more bionic everyday..

A blind British man has seen his wife for the first time after an incredible operation transplanted one of his teeth into his right eye.

The eight-hour surgery, pioneered by Britain-based doctor Christopher Liu, took part of one of Mr Jones's canine teeth and reshaped it to house a specially-built lens.

Tooth that gives sight

Wonder whats next?? a great step forward in my eyes

Does this mean now that the blind may have a chance to lead a life with sight after all??
I have a friend who is blind, after an accident at work. I'll tell him to start saving, cant imagine it would be cheap.

[edit on 4/7/2009 by scubagravy]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by scubagravy
This is incredible to learn what the medical world are now doing, as it states in the article, that doctors have performed this surgery almost 50 times.

Ive never heard of it .....

The human race is becoming more bionic everyday..

The eight-hour surgery, pioneered by Britain-based doctor Christopher Liu, took part of one of Mr Jones's canine teeth and reshaped it to house a specially-built lens.

Tooth that gives sight

Wonder whats next?? a great step forward in my eyes

lol wow thats interesting. I would be content if they would just make fillings and root canals a little less....19th century!

[edit on 4-7-2009 by Wookiep]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
So true and a little less expensive. I find it incredible how a device can be hooked up to the nerve endings of the retina to allow the brain to configure an image.

Im surprised i havnt heard of this before, though i only first got my hands on a computer (internet) halfway through last year, alot of catching up to do

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Wow amazing story , I had seen this before, Your Tongue Can See.

I can imagine what things will be like in 10 years.

People always want to bash on the medical community but there are some truly life changing things they are and will be able to do for people.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Just checked out that link Pop_Science, damn unusual. thanx for your contribution.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Thought people ATS might have been surprised by this story. I mean, this will allow one of the 5 senses (the most important in my mind) to be restored.

HOW THE TOOTH BECAME AN EYE

1 Martin's canine tooth is removed. It's converted into a holder for a special optical lens by drilling a hole through the middle

2 Tooth is then inserted into Martin's cheek for three months to enable it to grow new tissue and blood vessels

3 Tooth and lens fitted in centre of Martin's right eyeball

I spose theres way too much goin on around the world to worry about this, if your not blind, who cares right ??

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by scubagravy

That is truly astounding!! Think of the lives this will change!! Modern medicine has it wonderful points doesn't it!!!

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Truly is Greenize, thanks for stopping by !
Line after the first.

new topics

top topics

join