It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video Games boosting Intelligence in Elderly

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Source:

videogames.yahoo.com...

This is really sick, games have definitley changed...remember the good old days of Dunk Hunt!

I thought this was interesting as well,

"Rather than simply determining if certain games increase certain brain functions, the team is hoping to first identify the qualities that make a game good for the brain, then use that information to build a prototype brain game from the ground up.'

Are you serious...a prototype game? We truly are cyborgs....implant or not.

SVE

[edit on 4-7-2009 by thedude69]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Yeah, I miss the days when video games were all about killing people and blowing things up! Things were so much better than?

Hey, don't be so hard on Nintendo here. Nintendo is rapidly changing the status-quo with how people are thinking about video-games. Nintendo is the best company ever. They are still making your hard-core games, and, they're making new IPs, and, they're making new games for all of the old people and the people that don't really play games that much... making them want to game more.

Nintendo is doing a really great job at this whole intelligent gaming thing. Video games aren't just for nerds out there. You gotta give Nintendo credit for what they're doing.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I am trying to imagine what kind of game this would resemble. I really do think games like Halo and Call of Duty really train the reflexes, while games like Warcraft or Diablo call for more long term strategies. The game they are building should have a focus on traits such as these. It would have to be visually appealing and heavily rewarding. As a child I really enjoyed Super Mario 64, that to me would definitely be a game that combines associativeness and control. I also remember people being into Zelda which I thought was cool but really never played it as much as I should have. These researchers have a tough duty, but I am sure they will do just fine with a "$1.2 million grant." Cannot wait to play it.

SVE

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Video games aren’t required. Any kind of mental stimulation can have the same effect. Crossword puzzles, or just reading and writing. Hey, senior pen pals, there’s an idea. Or maybe the old folks could actually interact with their descendants on a daily basis, helping them raise the crumb-snatchers, passing on their accumulated wisdom, and generally still interacting with the world instead of being warehoused while waiting to die. The so called nuclear family is just a bad idea IMO. It nukes the family.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   
If an elderly person has arthritis or rheumatism in their fingers or hands, video games would be a real pain, even if they make us oldies but goodies more intelligent.

top topics

join