It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 1859 super solar storm

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
If there were enough warning, could our power companies take their equipment down, or turn it off, to save it before it got fried? I really dont know anything about that stuff..but its like unplugging your pc in a bad electrical storm so it doesnt fry.
Also, I love the story about the miners waking up to cook breakfast. I sure wish I could go back in time to see that. "Boy I feel like I havent gotten any sleep, how bout you? " " Yea me too, but it's morning, so lets get the beans on the grill"

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yummy Freelunch
If there were enough warning, could our power companies take their equipment down, or turn it off, to save it before it got fried? I really dont know anything about that stuff..but its like unplugging your pc in a bad electrical storm so it doesnt fry.

Well that analogy would be correct, but there is one crucial problem with it - The electronics within the computer itself would act as antennae, conducting the solar induced ground currents and melting/frying the machine.

Here let me try (yay analogies)!

Now let's suppose that you lived in an apartment next to some high tension wires that transfer huge amounts of electricity.

Now suppose you have a magic rubber glove that would allow you to literally reach into the sky, and tear these wires out of the sky without harming yourself, which you do - then proceed to stick the high tension lines into one of the wall sockets in your apartment ...

When you plug your iPod into that socket, do you think that you're going to actually charge the battery?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/013b27e6b708.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 4-7-2009 by brokenheadphonez]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
You would be hard pressed not to find some historical event that was foreshadowed in some way by a movie, video game, tv show, or book. Here, we are talking about a movie that is coming out on the exact same day with the exact same plot - not something that came out 7 years ago that makes an obscure reference at the end. This movie company actually has something to gain with hype by transforming you into a walking, talking movie poster who wants no compensation for his efforts.

[edit on 4-7-2009 by andrewh7]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Look, regardless of whoever the hell made the circles or if it's a viral marketing campaign or not, this is probably a more serious threat to humanity than swine flu, nukes, or biological weapons ...

Quit being ignorant.

Let me make a short list of some of the effects solar activity has on Earth:

(biological, human)
-blood pressure changes/acute cardiac morbidity
-effects on regulatory systems and cholesterol levels
-electrocortical effects
-situational anxiety, and emotional distress
-headaches, dizziness, others
-immunological deficiency
-cancers

(environmental, Earth)

- meteorological: hurricanes, tornadoes, el nino/la nina
- seismic and tectonic
- volcanic
- magnetospheric
- atmospheric

(technological)
-satellites, national security & communications including commercial and military GPS including weapons guidance system
-power grids and transmission lines
-HAM/radio frequency issues

Also solar cycles correlate with economic effects globally.

And those are a *few* of the things that solar activity impact on Earth.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Also, I love the story about the miners waking up to cook breakfast. I sure wish I could go back in time to see that. "Boy I feel like I havent gotten any sleep, how bout you? " " Yea me too, but it's morning, so lets get the beans on the grill"

science.nasa.gov...

In the 132-page report, experts detailed what might happen to our modern, high-tech society in the event of a "super solar flare" followed by an extreme geomagnetic storm. They found that almost nothing is immune from space weather—not even the water in your bathroom.
The problem begins with the electric power grid. "Electric power is modern society's cornerstone technology on which virtually all other infrastructures and services depend," the report notes. Yet it is particularly vulnerable to bad space weather. Ground currents induced during geomagnetic storms can actually melt the copper windings of transformers at the heart of many power distribution systems. Sprawling power lines act like antennas, picking up the currents and spreading the problem over a wide area. The most famous geomagnetic power outage happened during a space storm in March 1989 when six million people in Quebec lost power for 9 hours: image.
According to the report, power grids may be more vulnerable than ever. The problem is interconnectedness. In recent years, utilities have joined grids together to allow long-distance transmission of low-cost power to areas of sudden demand. On a hot summer day in California, for instance, people in Los Angeles might be running their air conditioners on power routed from Oregon. It makes economic sense—but not necessarily geomagnetic sense. Interconnectedness makes the system susceptible to wide-ranging "cascade failures."
To estimate the scale of such a failure, report co-author John Kappenmann of the Metatech Corporation looked at the great geomagnetic storm of May 1921, which produced ground currents as much as ten times stronger than the 1989 Quebec storm, and modeled its effect on the modern power grid. He found more than 350 transformers at risk of permanent damage and 130 million people without power. The loss of electricity would ripple across the social infrastructure with "water distribution affected within several hours; perishable foods and medications lost in 12-24 hours; loss of heating/air conditioning, sewage disposal, phone service, fuel re-supply and so on."
"The concept of interdependency," the report notes, ...

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.
Quoting External Sources - Please Review This Link

[edit on Sun Jul 5 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
LOL, and we're supposed to believe that a squirrel caused the cascading Northeast blackout of 2003, eh?

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I didnt realize the grid was so extensive or interconnected! wow..I mean, we would literally be thrown into the stone age again...might be for the best, somehow. Maybe some of us need to get back to basics. I wouldnt worry so much in warmer weather..looks like kerosene is the next best thing.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by andrewh7

You shouldn't assume that people won't notice plagiarism. Next time you copy&paste a response...give the the person that made the effort to put their thoughts into words credit.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Well just looking at the latest SOHO Imgs..........and that group of sunspots some one posted early is a lot bigger and just gone BOOM! you can see the flare now, lets hope it miss's and not a big one...

Though looking though the SOHO all time photos there largest group of sun spots ever recorded is about the same size of these......

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Gonna be an interesting few days to say the least...

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
reply to post by Kandinsky

Nice Pic, I have seen similar on internal inspections. as for those whom want to know what to have for preparedness. Yeah lets hope it won't happen in the winter. I have a wood stove and a back up source for water. and the food is another issue. unless you were stocked up you would be S.O.L. for myself Ive stocked up for a year for my whole family. this may sound like allot but think about it. If you loose power, there are allot of issues that trickle down from there. Everybody starts to head to the store, panic, look at Katrina. NO Thanks. and besides we rotate our stock(food) so it is always good to go. call us crazy, I am ok with that, this is not fearmongering, just thinking ahead. There has been just too much written and too much coincidence in current events to simply be ignorant.

I ,for one ,wont call you crazy at all,Ive been doing the same but only have about a months worth of food.I will just say this though,if you cant store much water and we get a bit of notice ,FILL the bath and any spare sinks ,when the power goes the water will go to.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I am wondering how/if this will affect us in the southern hemisphere? Does anyone know or have a view?

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
coasttocoastam.com has guests on RE: ufo and the crop circles.
Just a note RE: emp waves from whay I have read they take out anything not grounded and protected including any cars with computers hence most cars after the lates 60`s or 70`s. This effect is like emp from a nuclear blast. I am grounded and have thyroid block pills in case of radiation. Stan deyos web site is a good source of preparedness and the book dare to prepare is a big source of information on how to prepare for all events.

standeyo.com...

Hazzards of sucha event............

www.nap.edu...

links to a interesting report

Look up cmes and emps on google. Its all bad news.

[edit on 6-7-2009 by saralee]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
After reading saralee's post, I have decided that I want cake.

Edit to add: If you've been squirreling away information and data or pictures and what not, now is the time to compile everything into a handy zip file and share it with other people who are studying this.

[edit on 6-7-2009 by brokenheadphonez]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Thought I would give this a bump.

Seems the sun is finally waking up good and proper.

The sunspot's large dark core is about the size of Earth, while the entire sunspot group stretches about 50,000 km from end to end. The behemoth has been crackling with magnetic activity, producing 10 C-class solar flares in the past few days. That more than triples the number of C-flares previously detected in all of 2009. According to NOAA forecasters, there is a 5% chance of an even stronger M-class flare during the next 24 hours. Stay tuned for solar activity!

spaceweather.com...

sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/922c32ecb151.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

The Obama administration, solar cycle 24 and new energy Though lessening the risk of probability of solar storms in solar cycle 24 (2009-2020), the conclusions of the April 1, 2009 Examiner.com article as to the vulnerability of the high-power electrical grid system still stand. “The Obama administration and most modern governmental energy departments in the 192 U.N. member nations have focused on reducing dependence on conventional energy grids (petroleum, coal or nuclear power) by introducing renewable energy sources such as wind, geo-thermal, and tidal power. These alternative sources are thought to supply about 10% of current energy needs. For example, the Obama policy with regard to the electrical energy grid is stated its official energy and the environment agenda on the White House website: ‘Ensure 10 percent of our electricity comes from renewable sources by 2012, and 25 percent by 2025.’ “This policy, which replicates energy grid policy in many advanced industrialized nations, is not adequate for the challenges of 2012 solar flares. The policy does not promote new fuel-less non-polluting energy sources now sequestered in secret, national security and black budget projects, and which have been developed using U.S. tax-payer funds. These included reported anti-gravitic technology and free energy technologies, based on Tesla technology. “So here is a key question: Is human society being set up to fail and suffer an effective systems collapse with great loss of life and property if 2012-13 solar flares materialize in the worst case scenario?”

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Hi all! I just go done reading this thread and thought it was great! With the prediction of a CME today it makes me think we have all gotten too relaxed on these issues due to the debunkers. Well... I just started watching the BBC series SurvIvors, and I believe we would all be better
off preparing to be more self reliant. If the electricity goes off, and the power company man stated a few paragrphs back that it could take months to get the electricity back on. Having extra cash on hand in small bills, extra gasoline in gas cans, stored water in used bleach bottles, matches for cooking, warmth, and burning off trash, bleach, medical supplies, canned meats fruits and egtables on hand would be prudent. So many of us live in the moment and are so busy with daily life, we put off preparing ahead for difficult times. Now is the time to think ahead.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
BUMP!

If you don't know what is involved when a large solar storm hits, read this thread!

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Great bump! I had not seen this thread before, and with everything going on right now, star and flag!

Just got done reading it and there is some great information in here. Thank you.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
BUMP!

If you don't know what is involved when a large solar storm hits, read this thread!

Definitely, bump-worthy. This is, in my opinion, the biggest, relevant, and imminent 'Dooms Day' threat of them all.

I didnt realize the grid was so extensive or interconnected! wow..I mean, we would literally be thrown into the stone age again...

Yup, check the "[x]" in my sig - the loss of electricity will be the scariest thing of all, because it is not an ELE that wipes out 90% of us, first. We'll all BE here, struggling to survive and fighting for resources.

UNLESS, we can make some quick advances towards clean, sustainable, storable power...

... and, I may have a solution (maybe not, but worth a look)

edit on 2/15/2011 by SquirrelNutz because: wanted next post included on this page, so dropped in here, as well

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join