It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Put down the beer and fireworks; Remember Independence Day!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
It is midnight right now and July 4th Independence Day for the United States. Tonight there will be festivities, barbecues, and fireworks to commemorate the astounding feat made by our founding fathers over 200 years ago. The crust of their discontent with Great Britain was unfair taxes levied by Parliament against their colonial subjects to pay for the defense of the colonies from the French and Indian Wars which ended in 1763. Britain was shouldered with an astronomical debt much like the US government today, however, the taxes to pay for it are yet to be seen.

Essentially all the colonists wanted was a voice in the legislation being passed upon their heads, however, the King and the Parliament in general decided to give them the deaf ear. So colonial representation at Westminster was out of the question. Revolutionary fervor reached a fever-pitch in Boston and the surrounding areas with many acting out against oppressive measures enacted by the Crown. Colonial militia were put on alert as British troops flooded Boston to restore order. Civil disobedience was being held together by a slender thread. Finally, in 1775, the British made an attempt to disarm the colonials in Massachusetts by attempting to seize the colonial ammo supply in Lexington and Concord. This was "the shot heard around the world." After this, armed conflict ensued and the rest is history.

Like our forefathers some 200 years ago, we face many of the same problems today. We have merry monarchs and nobles in our own government that enact legislation without consulting their constituents. One such act would be the Tarp program passed by Congress in 2008 and often referred to as "the Banker Bailout." I remember the outrage by people before the bill was passed. Many sent letters, emails, and phones calls to their legislative leaders to stop such an act, however, like the King and Parliament of old; they chose to give a deaf ear and pass the law any way. Now the American tax payer is going to have to pay for this for generations to come.

This act alone opened the flood gates for more deficit spending on a grand scale and for grandiose projects during a bitter recession. Like our colonial forefathers some 200 years ago; we are feeling the squeeze with seemingly no redress by our elected leaders. The same follies performed by Britain are being enacted by our own elected leaders during modern times.

So for posterity, lets not forget what led up to our Independence and look at what is happening before us today. It's as though a re-run of 1776 is happening in 2009. So as you chow down on a drum stick or crack open your beer or carbonated beverage if you are not a drinker, lets remember the sacrifice of our founders; and keep in mind that sacrifice in the dark days before us. I hope the politicians remember the perils of the past made by their brethren in the British government over 200 years ago and remember who they serve. To be true students of history we must not forget the past with posh celebration and merry ways, but truly remember where we came from and where we are heading. Happy Independence Day to all!!!

[edit on 4-7-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I hope more read this post because I think it is the essence of celebrating the United States' Independence. Many in America are to enthralled by the celebration instead of reflecting on the actual history surrounding such an historic event. If we just take a moment to remember what our forefathers went through to reach Independence maybe our current scenario would be a little different than it is now. The people and the politicians need to remember where we come from and how we can keep the spirit of Independence alive in modern times. Hopefully more will read this post, and reflect, as I have this Independence day 2009.

[edit on 4-7-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Yes! Great Post!

It's just hard to add much to this post. It's verbose and conclusive.

[color=gold]* * * * *

If anything, in my opinion, most people reading ATS forums are highly aware of ever word in your OP and live and breathe it constantly. No wait, PASSIONATELY.

United States of [color=#47B5E7]America ... FTW \o/

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrMattMaddix
reply to post by Jakes51

Yes! Great Post!

It's just hard to add much to this post. It's verbose and conclusive.

[color=gold]* * * * *

If anything, in my opinion, most people reading ATS forums are highly aware of ever word in your OP and live and breathe it constantly. No wait, PASSIONATELY.

United States of [color=#47B5E7]America ... FTW \o/

Thanks for the kind words. I am glad you enjoyed my post. I hope you are yours have a pleasant Independence Day!!!

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I have not celebrated July fourth for 8 years now. I will not be celebrating this year either. We have no reason to celebrate. Nobody can say that they remember the reason for the holiday under this regime. The standing army in black and blue tearing at our throats. The politicians taxing us out of our homes while they enjoy wealth and luxury. No...

The constitution died and all I can do on this day is mourn its passing.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by DrMattMaddix

Great post,and long live the Republic!!

If you dont mind I'm sigging that from ya..??
DrMattMaddix

[edit on 4-7-2009 by Redpillblues]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Proud to be an American.

Not so proud of our government.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Udontknowme

I am not to proud of the government at the moment either but I am proud to be an American as well. I still believe we live in the greatest country in the world. How long that will last at the rate we going who knows? We have the congressional and senatorial election in 2010 and maybe we will be able to do a little house cleaning in that election.

top topics

join