It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sun is Different!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Folks, it's the ozone layer. We DO burn more than we used to.

"We know that sunlight causes skin cancer and that breakdown of the ozone layer exposes us to ever more ultraviolet radiation.

In recent years, the incidence and severity of sunburn has increased worldwide, especially in the southern hemisphere, because of damage to the ozone layer. Ozone depletion and the seasonal ozone hole have led to dangerously high levels of UV radiation.

www.physorg.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

Also sunburn IS radiation damage, don't forget that.

Sunburn is caused by the UV-radiation from the sun. UV-radiation from artificial sources, such as welding arcs and the lamps used in sunbeds and ultraviolet germicidal irradiation, can also cause sunburn. It is a reaction of the body to the direct DNA damage which can result from the excitation of DNA by UV-B light. This damage is mainly the formation of a thymine-thymine dimer. The damage is recognized by the body, and it triggers several defense mechanisms. These include DNA repair to revert the damage and increased melanin production to prevent future damage.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jadette

"We know that sunlight causes skin cancer

- Extremely retarded brainwashing in effect. Why don't you give us some other pearls of wisdom from more great sources? How about something from the FDA or the center for disease control? Jesus.

What we KNOW is that sunscreen causes skin cancer. What does that mean? It means stay away from prolonged sun exposure if you are prone to burning - meaning if you're skin doesn't protect you like it should. YES, LIKE IT SHOULD.

Never mind indigenous peoples all around the world who are in the sun all day long without skin cancer, EVER. They don't count right?

Don't worry, we're not suppose to understand the nuances of sun and how it effects the body and skin. Just "rub in" that crap all over your skin and go on about your day. After all, science will propel us in to the future

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Something is going on. It could be the sun or it could be cosmic radiation from the galactic center of the Milky Way.

Yesterday was sunny and 73 degrees where I am, but the sand on the beach was so hot it was unbearable to walk on. Normally, the sand does not feel hot until the temps get into the 90's.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   

I have had the exact same experience this year!!

I have been living in southern Spain for 11 years and have never got sun burned but always get a good colour.

Last Saturday I sat on the beach for 2 1/2 hours with factor on and I got burned so bad. Not just red but my feet were a funny purple colour. Last night they started peeling but no like normal. Funny colour is still there but fading!!

The heat and humidity this year is way above normal.

I agree with the OP ....something is going on!!

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
enki save us, we have to evolve our level of space travel to get off this planet before the sun consumes us all.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by StrangeBrew

Originally posted by Jadette

"We know that sunlight causes skin cancer

- Extremely retarded brainwashing in effect.

I agree. For thousands of years mankind has lived exposed to direct sunlight without getting skin cancer.

Osmosis of particulates in the air could cause skin cancer though.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Well we also know that solar radiation also messes with core biological processes, including blood pressure, regulatory and CNS systems - it may also have an immunosupressant effect which contributes to ill effects.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by keepithush

So you think it's all in the minds of those on ATS?

The threads and comments about the sun being dimmer were not just based on personal observations. Scientific observations indicated the sun had become 2% dimmer last year, and it was inactive for a very long period of time.

Many people on ATS posted up to date photos from solar observation centers and provided good scientific information to these threads.

Now the sun is firing up and it's generating some interest from people. I don't think brushing off the observations of individuals is productive either.

Watch, look and listen. You might learn something.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Perhaps the sun is different. Perhaps something with the ozone layer or whatever filters the radiation. Consider too that as we grow older our bodies go through cellular replacement, I'm not certain of the actual term. Every 7 or so years all your cells have been replaced and over these transitions your typical responses to various stimuli can change. You become allergic to something you were not. Your hair grays. It's part of the aging process. So, consider too that perhaps that your body has changed in it's reaction and resistance to sun exposure. Just a guess.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by John Matrix

Couldn't have said it better myself. I mean, come on - didn't a 14 year old girl recently discover a pulsar?

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
The Zorgonians exploded a nuke 100 miles over West Texas recently. It was probably the blast wave from that what burned you. they exploded it in line with the sun so that noone would see the flash.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by StrangeBrew

First, insulting people isn't really a good way to have a conversation. You could have made your point, and come off better if you hadn't.

Secondly, we weren't addressing sunscreen USE (nor was I advocating for it, no matter what your malinformed rhetoric implied). And let's be clear about this, it isn't that sunscreen causes skin cancer, it's the use of it. People stay out too long because they assume they are 'protected'. But what's happening is that you don't 'burn' but you're still getting UVA or UVB, I forget which.

But that doesn't negate the fact that the ozone layer IS thinner and that it DOES protect us from UV. And since the OP didn't use sunscreen, we were addressing the effect of the sun upon his skin.

Now about the indigenous peoples. First, most have darker skin, which provides them more protection. Secondly, they have lower rates of ALL cancer, which implied more than sun exposure as a factor. But yes, that does seem to support the sort of thing I just said above, that we're relying on sunscreen and overexposing ourselves.

Though, it doesn't explain why people, say 100 years ago, spent more hours outdoors and didn't have the trouble with skin cancer that we do. But that could simply be that life expectancy was lower, and people died of other things before skin cancer.

Also, diet and other factors are a part of proclivity:

Epidemiological, experimental, and mechanistic data implicate omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) as stimulators and long-chain omega-3 PUFAs as inhibitors of development and progression of a range of human cancers, including melanoma.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   

JohnMAtrix speaks the truth

The sun was inactive for a couple of weeks there. It was switched off briefly for repair and maintenance.

Also, the theory that the OPs sunburn is the result of Cosmic Radiation from the centre of the galaxy is sound in scientific principle and entirely plausible. He should write a paper for Nature on the subject.

good work.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Has anyone bothered to see if there is an increase in the UV index in their area?

I'm sure each country's national weather site will have Daily UV stats, trends and averages.

It's the easiest way to see if anything is up.

I thought of this too. Two days ago the radio station announced a UV Index of 9. I thought they were wrong because we are normally in the 4 to 5 range which is moderate. 9 is in the very high range. I checked today and it's still at 9.

This would explain why the air temp is in the low to mid 70's but the sand on the beach is as hot as would be expected on days when the temps are in the 90's.

cdi

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
hi everyone
just to throw my oar in i will say that i always look on 'space weather now' site everytime i get online. been doing this for a long time. i have notice a trend with regards to solar minimum or lack of pressure,speed and magnetic strength.
consider our magnetic field is like a flowering plant, without water it will wilt. the field has wilted for some time now. due to lack of solar activity the field has minimum energetic particles bombarding it as normal. it seems that our own field needs the sun to energise itself to flourish again, a kind of quantum co-operation. this situation also occured during the 1918 spanish flu pandemic where the sun was at solar minimum.
i may be wrong but i have been in the sticks at easter and watched the sunrise and the heat was quite unusual. i burned pretty quick which has never happened before. i would advise you all to take care out there as this does not seem to be letting up just yet.
regards cdi.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by eniac

JohnMAtrix speaks the truth

The sun was inactive for a couple of weeks there. It was switched off briefly for repair and maintenance.

I don't think your metaphor offers any justice to my comment...

I was referring to the Solar Minimum that lasted longer than scientists expected.

Obviously if the sun was totally inactive and shut down for maintenance we would freeze to death in a very short time.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by eniac
The Zorgonians exploded a nuke 100 miles over West Texas recently. It was probably the blast wave from that what burned you. they exploded it in line with the sun so that noone would see the flash.

In line with the sun for West Texas would not be in line for me or many others who don't live there.

I assume there was no flash and this was an invisible UV radiation bomb.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Hello Greenize,

What you have noticed and experienced is quite real. However, it is not a function of heat intensity, rise in temperature, pole shift, axis tilt, sun spots, declining ozone, or any frequently mentioned external cause. The cause is a rise in the vibratory frequency of the sun.

You must learn to develop an harmonious balance with this new rate of vibration. Otherwise, you will encounter varying degrees of discomfort which you were not accustomed to in the past. Put another way, you must learn to "resonate with the vibe", "go with the flow".

Sunscreen, new geography, retreat to climate controlled environments, etc. will not help. Harmony and balance are achieved from within - recognition of who you really are.

For starters, harmony is most readily achieved by eliminating all negative thoughts. Fear, and its many accomplices; worry, anger, blame, depression, judgment, doubt, envy, jealousy, hatred, etc. This is no easy task. But you will be greatly rewarded should you practice and persist.

Turn off your TV. Stop reading the negativity-laced news. Ignore the fear, depression and worry-mongering posts here at ATS. Improve all your relationships with everyone in your life. And most importantly, find answers from within, through quiet contemplation and introspection. External sources of information are at best distorted, and at worst deceitful. You have all the answers within - you just need to look.

What you think about and focus on becomes your reality.

Good Luck!

DocQ

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I went on a tour of Central Australia, including tropical areas and didn't get burned at all. This was without any sunscreen. I'm white with little to no TAN FYI. Surprised I didn't get burned, actually.
I think you're seeing thing that aren't there..

cdi

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

hi cobzz
pommie says it is winter down there at the mo meaning the suns rays have to penetrate a little more atmosphere than usual to reach you.
btw i would love a couple of months in the kimberleys (spelling!)and possibly enjoy a beer with bush tucker man.
regards cdi

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join