It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Ladies Only... Period!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deus Ex Machina 42
Oh freaking YUCK, that thing would be so nasty and dirty and ... ew, just ew.

I'm sorry I'm a guy and should have listened to the topic title for my own good, but t that is the most disgusting thing I've ever heard of. Tampons are nasty enough, but a literal CUP that is worn for several hours during the cycle and can be reused?

GAAAAAh gross, ew, nasty, icky, everything in between. Ugh.

Although I apologize for intruding, as this is a woman's only topic, but that just seems gross. I dont know, would you honestly like reusing something that.. you had down there.. for several hours, all sweaty... bloody and sticky and just all around GROSS?

just stockpile a ton of tampons in case the need for survival ever comes up.. do the same thing people that need medication do, stockpile that ****

[edit on 3-7-2009 by Deus Ex Machina 42]

This is why you were told just women because you haven't a clue....
First, when were tampons created?
Second, how long does a tampon stay in?
Third, do you know what can happen to a woman in the wilderness while wearing a tampon?

Also, since this product is inserted, you don't worry about sweat. It's internal not external - you are thinking cups for balls = sweat; not remotely the same thing.

Oh and just so you know, what do you think will happen to your camp if you have women with tampons/pads/etc with no place to dispose of them. You can't wash those!

Please, before you "YUCK" at least get educated!
geesh!

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I used sea sponges for years without any problem.

However I still had not got over the disgust about periods I had been indoctrinated with when I needed a hysterectomy in my thirties, and so was greatly relieved to farewell that annoying part of my anatomy.

A few years later I was lent a book about menstruation, including many old and new methods for coping with hygiene and suggestions for celebrating this milestone in a girl's life. For the first time I realised the self hatred and disgust many women of my generation had internalised over bleeding was completely unnecessary. We had been conned by society and by our families into despising the evidence of our own womanhood when it was something women should have been honoured for. I bawled my eyes out as I became aware of the weight of that self-hatred for the first time.

There is nothing more powerful than the ability to give birth. Patriarchal society has its reasons for wanting women to be hipless, brainless and bloodless. The Mother is a frightening beastie to those who want to control "mankind".

To anyone with hang-ups about the insertion and removal of a diva cup, spent time alone getting to know your body better and making friends with it. Loving yourself makes it much easier to love others too.

[edit on 6/7/09 by Kailassa]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Givenmay
Who needs a cup when you can use a coconut?
(that is if you are somewhere tropical)

Who plans on being stuck out in the wilderness anyway that would be prepared to bring one?

...if I was stuck out in the wilderness I would have to kill an animal and use it's skin and fur for that...maybe it's skull! lol

You or your loved one may be able to fit a half coconut shell inside the appropriate region of your/her anatomy, but most of us would find that quite impossible.

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Great thread!! I think in a survival situation, people will be far more resourceful and strong than many would give credit.

In the case of a woman's period, containing the blood is key - animals are attracted to it. Secondly, sustainability is equally important. What ever method you use, make sure it will not run out or break down, in the long run. Thus, I'd say reusable items: tampons (somewhat questionable), pads (good), or the cup (good).

But I think it is up to every woman to decide for herself what method is best, FOR HER.

Personally I prefer reusable pads, because I am allergic to latex, and get cramps from tampons (strange, perhaps?). And also there are less questionable side effects from pads (and the cup).

Thanks for raising this important issue!!

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
.... If your backs against the wall in a post apocalyptic world ...... why not just use a dead squirrel ???

.... or a live squirrel if your feeling frisky.

... or maybe just a squirrel hide, .... god, what is it with me and squirrels today ???

.... The only thing I would advise against is using a Skunk fur. When trying to re-populate the world its important to make a good impression.

[edit on 7-7-2009 by IntastellaBurst]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   

I'm sorry I'm a guy and should have listened to the topic title for my own good, but t that is the most disgusting thing I've ever heard of. Tampons are nasty enough, but a literal CUP that is worn for several hours during the cycle and can be reused?

Although I apologize for intruding, as this is a woman's only topic, but that just seems gross. I dont know, would you honestly like reusing something that.. you had down there.. for several hours, all sweaty... bloody and sticky and just all around GROSS?

just stockpile a ton of tampons in case the need for survival ever comes up.. do the same thing people that need medication do, stockpile that ****

Ditto bro.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Greenize,
Thanks for posting on this rarely discussed preparedness issue!
Everyone has covered most of what I would have said or suggested, so just a few thoughts/ideas from me to add to an already informative, interesting thread.
Sea sponges work really well for me. I attach string for easier removal. I don't use them often, but when I do I've had no problems. I disinfect and sanitize mine with hydrogen peroxide (which also works well to cleanse my cloth pads).
For my money's worth, I stock up on store bought pads (multi-use as wound dressing) and have some tampons stored as well.
I have almost completely switched to homemade cloth pads, though. For me there are a few easy ways to 'make' them. If you get a dozen baby washcloths and fold them in half (you can sew them together for a more permanent shape if you want) they make great light day pads/liners. Also for heavier flow I use toddler sockies. I use the terry cloth ones for heavier days and normal cotton for medium days. The terry cloth footies/socks are terry on both sides and cling to the cotton of underwear, which minimizes slipping for me. You could use safety pens or possibly even attach a velcro strip to these. I find baby washcloths and toddler/children's socks to be the perfect size with no cutting or sewing necessary.
I'm definitely going to get some shammy type cloth like was mentioned in this thread. I think if I added to the baby sock by slipping it inside or to the washcloth by sewing it inside the folded section that it would be a huge boost to absorbency. Thanks to the person who suggested that!
I've read about the Diva Cup but, in all honesty, I just don't think I'll ever be -that- desperate/brave/alternatively-minded! =)
Thanks again everyone for some great ideas and especially to Greenize for starting this thread. S&F'ed!
~pre

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by preparanoid

Great ideas prep, If I wasn't so old and near the big mp, I would consider the makeshift/washable pads. I don't agree with anything inserted though, natural or not, the sea sponge thing, tampons (bleach and other additives) no, all too risky for womankind.

and you guy that keep rambling about how gross this topic is..then stop reading it from the get-go as the OP suggests. Only makes me angry at you (non) men who make goofy comments and that has caused me to have several bad warnings from mods for going off on that type. If your own mothers had to run to live in a menstral hut for every period then you would have never been fed 5 days out of any given month of your life.

Grow up, it is human nature, yes, women are humans too and just because we don't have our organs hanging out doesn't make it more gross. If you are offended..STOP, DROP AND X the page, fast.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Maybe a ShamWow? I swear those Germans think of everything.
How did the Indians do it?

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I use the cups. They are the single most useful thing I have ever used for menstruation.

The guys and gals who think that it might just be a "bit" of blood are obviously the people who don't have heavy periods. Those old ways of having women be away from society for a week at a time were probably created not for the women who use the Thong Pad on their heavy days.

Some think the cups are gross? You think wearing blood and mucus for 5 hours or more at a time is MORE cleanly? Seriously?

As long as you have a potable water source to clean them with, they are a useful, reusable, long term solution to an event one will have several hundreds of times in one's life.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by exile1981
Ok I'm a guy and I admit I read through this thread because I'm the one planning for the family. I have a wife and two daughters so I was curious about what I should store for them. I think I'll let my wife know about the cups and she can think about it for her and the girls.

Has anyone though about spill pads? They look like cotton, but are polypropylene (same stuff as milk jugs) and absorb a huge amount of liquids. The case I have is a giant roll that is 4" wide and 100' long and about 1.5" thick. Just cut to lenght, line undies and toss when done. They burn too so you can dispose of them in a fire. Am I totally off my rocker for planning or is this an ok idea?

That doesn't sound like a good idea.

Would you stick this stuff for hours at a time against any of your mucus membranes?

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
COTTON BALL???

Can you spell T-O-X-I-C-S-H-O-C-K?!

Not to be crude... but I thought being "on the rag" was a term from 100 years ago when they actually used RAGS. Just washed 'em out and hung them on the line.

I can remember a time before there were tampons... and I'm sure there was a time before pads....
I think they called that "Ragtime".

Uh.........
Oh, never mind, I'm in too deep now!!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Okay, first guy, Is someone supposed to rely on you to clean fish and gut rabbits ,etc.? Guess you haven't changed 14 diapers a day for someone either. Life is filled with gross moments. Stock piling tampons would work if you have a permanent, stable, clean, dry shelter. Put them in large freezer zip lock bags otherwise. If you have adenomyosis, think about seasonique to limit periods to four a year. (Disclaimer: consult your doctor for ideas here.) I thought the Indian women sat in a teepee on mats for the week. Although would't blood attract cyotes and other animals. Hungry starving pet dogs..... Some guy somewhere planned to hide stuff burried underground in pvc pipes. Tampons are pretty important for sure.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Don't be so squemish man, I'm a guy and I think that is a brilliant idea. You'd save on space and not have to worry about rumaging for tampons all the time.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Wow! This thread has grown like Topsy since I last checked!! Who'd a thought this subject would get so much attention!

I've not read all the replies to see if my 'answer' is already here, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned.....

Unless you have stocked up on birth control pills, the most likely way your situation X period might be handled could be summed up in one word....pregnancy!

If you breast feed, you usually do not have a period for the duration. And in situation X, where formula and the refrigeration for it would be virtually nonexistent, breastfeeding would certainly be the way to go.......for as much as a year or two.

A mere 10 babies could keep 'Aunt Flo' at bay for about 30 years.....

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by frayed1

The average return of menstruation in a woman who is practicing ecological breastfeeding is 14 months to 2 years. That's an average. Some women are 2 months, some are 3 years. (ref)

Ecological breastfeeding is breastfeeding your child on demand, usually until they are over two.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
After reading this thread - I went out and ordered a diva cup!

Just waiting for the painters - will report back on success or failure.

Nice topic (not) and love how guys get freaked out by this...can't wait to post my response.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
The number of people who have used the words "yuck" "gross" and "disgusting" to describe mensturation is disturbing. Some of them women too. It makes me want to cry. I have a vagina. As part of it's natural biological function it is the passage by which biological material passes if I not needed. I find absolutley nothing "gross" about that.

In anycase - thanks for links. I've now ordered my mooncup.

Frankly, in a survival situation I think the last thing I'd be thinking about would be my period...that is until it happened. A mooncup is going into my bug out bag. That way, if I am in a situation where going to the drug store is no longer an option I'll have one less thing to crowd my mind.

For the people who are "disgusted" - Grow up.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

I have used that style of cup and you cant even really feel it unless you are having some major cramps or moving around a whole lot. ( The one I had was light purple and had a lilac border that was slightly thicker.)

My biggest fear was being able to get the little thing out! I had just had my daughter and my obgyn suggested I use it. It worked great and washing it was VERY easy...it's called bottled water and ivory soap! The cotton pad thing is also one that needs to be washed again hot bottled water and ivory soap. The ivory also helps to break down the bacteria that makes the blood stench so burring the water will make it less likely to be hit on by animals. (When I take my dog’s camping I make a dilution of ivory dish soap and water in a spray bottle and spray their “area” with it when they are done and I have cleaned up. Also helps keep their relief area from being killed from the waste.
)

It is amazing with all this bacterial stuff out and the ob's are still telling people to just use ivory soap! One of the few that has stood the test of time and isn't overly laden with chemicals the way most soap and body washes are today.

Another thought would be to use a chamomile based organic soap; preferably french milled style as they last much longer. Just let it dry out before re-packing it! You could also make a "tea" of chamomile water and let it cool slightly to cleanse the cup/pads with it.
Coming from a woman who has NEVER since day one been able to use a tampon without getting an infection within 48 hours....I used the cup to help with "over flow" after my daughter’s birth for several month's till thing's went back to normal. NO infection of any kind, not even the slightest yeast.

The cup you are referring to seem's to be SO very expensive! Look at your pharmacy and ask them if they carry the latex cup's in stock if not can they order them. I was broke as all get out when I had gotten to having my daughter and I can remember easily affording to buy 2 of them. AT the pharmacy over the counter!

You should also ask your gynecologist if they have a cheaper way for you to get them. It really seem’s to me that the one’s selling this are playing on a woman’s need for something of this nature and charging WAY to much for it

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Merigold

lol I agree. I lost it a few pages back and said some baaad words because of both men posting on the subject giving advice or the ones that are 'ewwwww-ing'.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join