It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Ladies Only... Period!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Ugh.

Thanks for the practical idea. It makes you want to go into early menopause, though.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melissa101
I have bad cramps sometimes and I worry about being without my heating pad and Advil? Any natural yet safe cramp killer ideas?

I'm a man, but I know a bit about pain anyhow, and we sometimes have to look out for our lady friends who don't see anything coming

Black Willow bark (Salix Nigra), steeped (NOT boiled) as tea. Willow is in the genus 'Salix", and is where we get the word 'Salicyn', which is a fancy word for aspirin.

Black willow bark contains aspirin.

I'll go back to lurking now, since men were requested to keep our yaps shut.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greenize
I have never used one, but I am seriously thinking I might order one just in case!!!

Sorry to butt in again, but you might want to "test drive" the cup as proof of concept and to discover any unexpected flaws before you HAVE to use one.

You might avoid unexpected surprises and unintended consequences that way.

Back to lurking....

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Thats excellent advice and that was the intention. Not that you want to hear this. but every womans flow is different and whats good for one may not be good for another!

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
People lets not get graphic!
You'll have the mods all over ya! Keep it clean! I mean the language!

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Let's keep this thread clean, Folks.

It's a subject that calls for us to have maturity.

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I tried one of these cups when I was a young woman and they sent out a free sample in the mail. It was weird, I didn't like it personally. I think it's a good idea, but I mean, isn't toxic shock syndrome centered around the waste staying inside you and breeding bacteria? It's meant to COME OUT, you know. I'd probably use recycled old cloth and wash it out.

I have lived quite roughly before for extended amounts of time. These things won't concern you as much as you think they would given we were really in a situation where survival was the utmost priority. You'll use whatever you have the same way you'll wipe with whatever you have.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
In the olden days, ladies literally used rags (hence the term, "on the rag") secured with an elastic belt. They had to wash and reuse them. I'm actually old enough that I remember the old "Kotex" that had to be secured with an elastic belt around the waist. I don't see any reason why we couldn't go back to the "old ways" in the absence of access to paper products. Anywhere there's access to water you can wash them. Not pleasant I know, but what else is there? I wouldn't advise a cup as the excess exposure to moisture might cause infections.

Also, If I had babies in the house I would stock up a good supply of cotton diapers and plastic pants. When the SHTF you are not going to be able to buy Huggies!

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Who needs a cup when you can use a coconut?
(that is if you are somewhere tropical)

Who plans on being stuck out in the wilderness anyway that would be prepared to bring one?

...if I was stuck out in the wilderness I would have to kill an animal and use it's skin and fur for that...maybe it's skull! lol

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by suzque66

Suz what the heck did you say.

Hey and I apologize for the male mind if anything inappropriate said.
I'm getting a education here, male perspective, who would have thought all that.
And to think when Raquel Welch was playing that cavewoman in movie, she had fur on inside out.

You do have one benefit men don't have, and that's less chance of heart attack, at least till it stops.
Might be good ideal to give blood then, has same effect in redusing risk of heart attack in both men and women.

And that one story makes me want go Kill some Nazis, or something like that, so evil.

Not trying to be funny but just think in old days, and the wild animals they would smelled fresh meat, the poor woman would have been first one on dinner list.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Well how did they do it in the old days before tampons??

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greenize
reply to post by Ismene

I will do some research on these as well. If I might ask, what is the cost of the Luna pads?

Hi Greenize,

I found them at my local natural foods store - if I remember correctly, it was a pack of 5 for about 35 dollars CAD. I was just looking on the website and they are now selling a starter kit for 71 USD (about 12 pads). So prices have definitely gone up, BUT there are LOTS of places that sell similar products especially on the web.

Cheers, Ismene

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
That's entirely too expensive for what they're offering. You can make your own with this pattern.
homemade luna pads

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Greenize
I was seeking opinions

My opinion is that it's silly to get too hung up on the issue. Menstrual fluid is mostly blood. What's gross about blood? Nothing. As long as you wash regularly all your really need to contend with is stained clothes and the discomfort of sitting in it.

ronishia
if push came to shove and there are no alternates and ur stuck
you would have to look to nature to help you out some big leafs or something

If there are no other alternatives then I suggest you simply come to terms with your own body and not stress yourself needlessly about it. It's your own blood. It's not going to hurt you. It may be unpleasant, but I'd suggest that "if push came to shove" it would be far more sanitary to simply bleed on yourself than to stuff yourself full of leaves.

Ladies...you want to be clean and beautiful for us. Thank you. We appreciate that. But if there's a nuclear holocaust or martial law or aliens land or whatever, there will be far more important things to focus on than merely a little blood on your clothes. If you're in a situation where doctors and grocery stores are unavailable, it will probably be easier to simply wash your clothes than to deal with internal infection.

Please be clean and beautiful, yes. But please be healthy too.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Most of us are used to, and products of, our modern sanitary society. Not all that long ago, women every where were misunderstood and maligned about their bodies and reproductive functions. Many cultures today, still negate the female as unclean, and unholy. Some even classify them as soulless, and Persona's-non-Grata.

In times past, women were often relegated to separate quarters where they lived and cared for themselves during their menstrual cycles, or during and just after child birth. Back then, there was nothing for pain, or for keeping ones self clean. Just water...and maybe, some sort of natural cleansing agent.
( for reasons of delicacy and decorum, I will not go into how females dealt with "Periods" and other problems. Suffice it to say, they did not have an easy time of it. It was unhealthy, often times leading to all sorts of infections and diseases )

It should also be pointed out, that MEN were also very unclean, and didn't do much to take care themselves either. Venereal diseases were common, with syphilis running rampant.

Living in the wilds, and off grid, gives rise to many health questions...with female sanitation and reproductive health issues at the top of the list. Childcare's health follow after that...

We are not the same females as those of a hundred years or more ago. Women today have evolved, along with their daily paradigms. They are more fragile, and prone to problems today, than those of 500 years ago.
Of course, it was common practice for a girl to be married off, and pregnant by the time she was 13 to 15 yr's old in the 1500's...and they died young often as a result. Eventually, society enlightened itself, and realized, that young girls are not fully ready for the riggers of pregnancy, childbirth, breast feeding, and the mental wherewithal needed for motherhood.

Setting up a wilderness encampment, and survival retreat area must thoroughly take into account the needs of women and children. Females in the military and in field situations, will often account for roughly 1/3 of the overall logistical acquisition needs for setting up. If children of all ages were also involved, it would jump to 3/4's.

Modern day camping at camp grounds is not "off grid" living. Far from it.

I suspect that most women today, are not going to like living "off the land, and on the move continually". Which is what a survivalist will have to do.
Once all the big game has been culled to near non existence, then you live on
fish, frogs, turtles, small mammals, birds, wild berries, fruits, grains during the summer. When winter hits, unless you have stored many hundreds of pounds of staples, you freeze and starve to death.
Most women today, will not tolerate being cold, hungry, dirty, isolated, and on a period without sanitation and pain remedies. The "glamor" of roughing it, will wear thin real quick. Rambo is a fictional character, just as was Tarzan. Even real Mountain Men come down to civilization to trade, buy, and socialize from time to time. Most live alone.

The best way to survive a crisis is to be in a like minded, close community with out side connections and access to resources...just like the modern military does.
Hiding and laying low amongst the rotting logs, ferns, under brush, muck, insects, vermin, sweltering or freezing weather, and hostiles, will appeal to a modern day female for about ten seconds...then she's out'a there!
Living in a tent for more than a month turns old fast. A small crude cabin is not much better.

Ladies; it is more to your to advantage and long term health, to stay connected to the modern paradigm. Tell Grizzly Adams your not interested!

Don't fall for the hype of going it alone, and depending on no one.

[edit on 5-7-2009 by Confused and Dazed!]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I just wanted to share my personal experience with the menstrual cup. I use the UK Mooncup and have been for about a year now. It is tricky to use the first few times, so I'd definitely recommend that you start using it in conjuction with pads in case of leaks. But once you get the hang of using it, it is so much easier than pads or tampons.

I usually have to empty it in the morning after I wake, in the afternoon, and in the evening before bed, although on my lighter days I can safely skip the lunchtime. Once a month I sterilise it by boiling it in water.

It was a little uncomfortable to use at first, but I think that was mainly due to me being very aware of it, after a few months that stopped and now I use it every month without any problems.

The UK Mooncup costs £15 (around $30), but when you think that you'll probably spend that much in a year on pads or tampons it doesn't seem so much any more.

I have to say that I can't see myself going back to pads or tampons, I find the cup so much easier and cleaner.

I would say, on the side of caution, that some of the manufacturers use latex, which causes some people allergy issues, so be sure to get one made from silicone.

For those in UK who are curious.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicaviv
reply to post by mysticalzoe

mysticalzoe:

I won't quote your text but it is interesting that you find this topic so disgusting yet use a less than lady like word to describe your women parts. Perhaps the reason you are teased is not the fault of commercials or conversations of such topics but maybe they way you present yourself as a women.

Umm my husband doesn't tease me because of how i present myself as a women he makes fun of women issues in general, and I still think these diva cups are gross. I can use whatever words I want to describe my area down there. My husband has quoted worse about the female anatomy that i cannot quote, and I was being generous. By the way I am definitely not a feminist.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join