It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Ladies Only... Period!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Ladies, I give you...The Museum of Menstration

Here you will find anything and everything you could possibly want to know about our dear Aunt Flow.

This page even goes into talking about what women used before we had mass produced tampons and pads.
www.mum.org...

Thank you for posting this topic. I've often wondered how many people take this unavoidable time into account while planning for survival.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Melissa101

It is made out of a soft pliable latex I think, I will reread the article to make sure...It is actually no bigger than a tampon and if you google the diva cup, there are some testimonials on the site. I have never used one, but I am seriously thinking I might order one just in case!!!

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I just found this on Wikipedia. I hope this helps those girls like me that had never heard of this thing before. I hope there is no policy against posting this as a reference. If so, oops, I am sorry. But if not this should be helpful. Um, it did not look to bad like what I had imagined.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Eh, I'm a guy, but I remember a thread from a long time back talking about survival stuff for women and I've talked about this with over with my girlfriend.

This site has both cups and rewashable cotton pads. I think the pads would look nice enough to reuse if you just wash them, any way we are getting some for my girlfriend. Funny how this came up.

Any way, don't the pads and tampons contain chemicals thats dangerous for a women's reproductive system?

Many Moons Alternatives

[edit on 3-7-2009 by Scarcer]

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by glitch88

Thank you for the links! I am going to go and check them out!! I agree, this is important and many of us haven't given it any thought...

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Thank you Greenize. I did Google it and found the reference I posted above. It looks like latex and it looks managable like a tampon. I had in mind something like a hard plastic cylinder cup like what kids drink out of. I have no idea why this was my vision but it was and I was thinking Good Gravy not this country girl. But now I'm thinking I should have a couple of these on hand just in case. Thank you for educating us on this I would have never known about it....

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Melissa101

Don't feel bad, I had a vision like a gravy bowl! Or sort of like a mans support cup, but made to "cup"a female! We are learning together!

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

You're welcome!

Be warned, that website is full of all kinds of information and it is such a curiosity (They actually have a physical Museum that displays all things relating to women's health, like sanitary aprons and the such). Before you know it you will have spent hours clicking links reading about things you almost wish you hadn't.

The humor section is a good read too so don't skip that!

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
i swear to god these guys are such idiots! STAY OUT! or take a peek but keep your mouth shut! Geeezzz!

anyhow I stockpiled everything, i bought them the same time i bought the toilet paper and shampoo and such stuff. BUT I did think "well, I'll just stay on the pill"...duh, no pharmacies
and that is another topic all together.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I know the cups are used by divers to prevent sharks approaching but the idea is not all that sanitary. You'd have to remove and wash it several times a day to prevent bacterial buildup and you may still get toxic shock syndrome even though it does not contain cotton.

Women used to use rags; I've heard of grass, weeds or newspaper stuffed into a pouch which is not so bad since you can burn it.

link   
reply to post by Scarcer

Thank you for the links! I think that maybe the scented ones can cause issues as far as chemicals, but tampons are dangerous in general and can lead to death by toxic shock syndrome. It is always a good idea to rotate between tamps and pads... I will check out the link!

link   
I use the diva cup and it isn't bad or gross. I feel cleaner. I've never used tampons (I am afraid of TSS and the bleach and fibers getting left behind) and I just recently switched because I got tired of dealing with the gross trash.
It's made of natural rubber and you just follow the instructions and place it in. It doesn't hurt or pinch unless you did something wrong. I've been using it for three months now, and I haven't hurt myself or had any germy issues, but i've also never had any infections down there.
It's really easy, just empty it, wash it and replace. I do it in the shower often. What's great about it is there is no trash and you care for it yourself, so you know how clean it is. You clean it with your bath soap, which should already have antibacterial properties, unless you're a person who doesn't use soap then I suppose you could rinse it off really well. In a survival situation, you could probably sterilize it with vinegar or baking soda, or witch hazel or tea tree oil. You could probably boil it if you had the resources and the time.
I know dealing with the blood first hand at first sounds really gross, but it isn't like the blood is dirty. It's just blood, and it's yours. It also doesn't smell, and I don't know about everyone who uses it, but since i've switched I don't get major cramps anymore. I think I might have been sensitive to the chemicals they treated my cheap-o pads with. Thinking about it, i'd rather use the cup over anything else in a survival situation just so I don't leave a trail behind.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
omg hilarious glitch.

I especially loved the 'primitive mastur****** machines to cure women's hysteria' LMAO.

and the booklet from the kotex circa 1960s that my mom tossed at all of my sisters and I when our time came LOL...lameeeee~~!!

She just tossed the book, yeah, all confused, I thought I was dying, I get a pamphlet HAHAH that told me not a hell of a lot. Too funny.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
There are the luna pads.

Also those super absorbent "camp" towels. They're very soft and they really are super absorbent. Could just cut one of those towels into appropriately sized "pads".

I tried one of those cups years ago and just couldn't manage. You had to "fold" them to "fit". They had hard plastic ridges on the outside to hold the thing in. OWWWWWCCCCHHHHH!

Things may have changed since I tried them but if not.....I'll be using the camp towels, thank you.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by collietta

how come I'm a guy but I seam to feel the same way about menstruation as her? A girl menstruating doesn't bug me as all, less than even some of the girls on here.

But I mean I'd rather not find a trail of red spots on the floor.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by suzque66

I'm glad you got a laugh from it! I can't believe she just threw them at you! Too funny.

Yeah I think I laughed for days about the machines when I first learned about them. Us women with our "hysteria" must have been such a burden...

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by collietta

Finally a user!!! Thank you so much for sharing this with us!! I makes me feel better hearing from someone that knows the product!

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Scarcer

Its great that you are understanding!! And I don't blame you for not wanting to see a trail on the floor!!!

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by glitch88

Makes me wanna get hysterical....hmm I bet Canadian health care would cover that 100% lmao

I just read the horrible book quotes by Kellogg (yes, the cereal guy) who wrote about how to stop a sinning child who master******. Sick Sick holy geezus. How he/she must be put in care of an older person to watch them continiously and keep them working hard at other things. Even so far as to follow them into the woods because they might be doing it there..esssh The entire theory is just disgusting.

[edit on 4-7-2009 by suzque66]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Do it adam and eve style, just wear a leaf as clothing, and when the period comes, just go take a wash in the stream/river, attach new leaf and carry on the day.....

Not sure how you attach the leaf thou....

But on the serious side, I think clothing choice would help, try wearing skirts/short skirts instead of trousers, so if you have an "accident" it's less likely to go on your clothes and stain....

LOL but seriously don't take any advice from me, I have no idea what I'm saying.

[edit on 4-7-2009 by _Phoenix_]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join