It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Ladies Only... Period!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Haha, I used improper terminology. I didn't mean a cotton ball like the ones you buy. I was thinking more like a cotton rag, that could be inserted to soak up the blood then removed and cleaned. My dad died when I was 5, I grew up with a mother and an older sister in the house, so I am no stranger to the weirdness of women :p

Also, some women use diapers, I don't know why if SHTF you couldn't fashion a washable diaper out of spare clothes.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Redpillblues

OMG that was priceless!!! I am going to go back and read more of the link that you posted. Thanks again!

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

Originally posted by king9072
Wouldn't shoving a cotton ball up there for several hours work just the same? You could remove and wash it daily, and replace it. Why would that be such an issue?

Clearly you are not a woman

That's the exact same thing I thought when I read that post!!!

But yea Deus Ex Machina 42... I actually have about 20 boxes of tampons (8 ct) that I purchased a few month ago from the dollar store. Not sure if you have that store in your town but everything is $1. So I purchased a lot in case SHTF, but in the back of mind I was wondering if did need to pack up survival supplies and flee my home, would I have room for all those tampons? Or would there be items of more importance that I need to make room for?

The cup sounds like a great Idea....yea a bit nasty, but isn't bleeding for 1 week a month also.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by king9072

That would make more sense! But I don't see that being very plausable either. No access a washing machine could be an issue.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Here is some good info for those of us unable to stock up on necessities. Hope it helps.

Rust peat moss could be confused with unusually dark forms of acute-leaved peat moss. The brown stems of rusty peat moss distinguish it from all other peat moss in our region, except Lindberg's peat moss (S. lindbergii) and, in the northwest, S. lenense. However, Lindberg's peat moss is much larger, has a prominent bud at its tip and its stem leaves have broad torn tips. It also prefers habitats that are slightly more mineral-rich. Peat mosses absorb water better than a sponge. These plants are permeated with a system of minute tubes. Because of this sponge-like structure, peat moss absorbs water more quickly than cotton and can hold 3 - 4 times as much. Peat moss has been used for many years in baby diapers and menstrual pads. Many babies spent the first 2 years of life in a 'moss bag', made from moose hide and lined with rabbit skin. The baby was laid on the skin with dry moss and the bag was laced closed. Toddlers wore 'diapers' of soft skins packed with dry moss. The Chipewyan collected green, yellow, or white peat mosses from hummocks for use in diapers. Because of its absorptive and antiseptic qualities, the Woods Cree used rusty peat moss to treat diaper rash.

www.borealforest.org...

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greenize

That would make more sense! But I don't see that being very plausable either. No access a washing machine could be an issue.

When I mentioned washing, I pictured a stream or river.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by uplander

oh wow........Now I'm scared! Certainly it comes in a sterilized package?! Those homemade pads are foul and probably more germ attractive than anything else. We have to remember, back in the time before luxurious tampons.......surely these women did okay......again...not to sound gross but think about it. Clean socks. It's all gonna be okay.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ohioriver

Thank you! This is very interesting and if nothing else were available, I would try it!!

[edit on 3-7-2009 by Greenize]

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Of course you were, sorry, I was having a dense moment!

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ohioriver

You know, that's a damn good idea. I'm very much into natural remedies but I never considered that option. I don't think it's practical for all locales but all the same, if it were availablie I'd definitely give it a shot before constructing a homemade diaper.

I can't even stand the feeling of a thin pad . Also, a great point has been mentioned, that if we are running for our lives, we're not going to be able to carry all of the supplies we envision. ~I honestly hope I hit menopause before SHTF (but that's not at all likely as I pbly have 15-20 years to go in that dept)....

Sometimes being female just is not fair.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jackieps1975

You can say that again! The moss is a great idea as long as the season is right. But I also would be concerned about tiny little bugs that were housed in the moss pad!

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Stocking up on a few of these is a good idea imho. Lol, just cut them to whatever pad size you need.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 7/3/2009 by seentoomuch]

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Use a piece of rag folded & placed in the gusset of your undies. Wash out, dry then reuse. That's why women's periods were sometimes called their "RAGS". Women have done it this way for a very long time before the modern system. My mother use to do it this way in the 1940's & she said that it was the way her mother & grandmother use to deal with situation.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Always, always read the sign on the door....

/Me backs away slowly...

In all seriousness, this is something I have never thought to discuss with my "bug-out" buddies and their partners. It is amazing what you don't think about until it is too late.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
You could use a sea sponge if you were by a sea, I guess. Or you could just let it ride. (LoL!) I was told by he said she said, that some women used nothing, not even underware but I don't know how true that is.(Before the tampon) I suppose it could be somewhat true depending on the woman?? But I highly doubt it nowadays.

WoW!
all this estrogen is making me dizzy!

Seacrest OUT!!

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
There are a lot of great suggestions here, but keep in mind, you are in hiding, resources are limited. I for one still think the cup is a great idea. Think about it...its compact, its reusable for up to ten years, there is nothing to dispose of and not to be gross, but I would fear drawing the attention of wild animals with the smell of blood if I had to take the time to bury something...

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Gross topic but ooooooook...

Well, hopefully the stress alone of any major event would cause a delay or a short-term stop of menses. I agree with only the rag statement. Old shredded clothes could be used and tossed. Some of us (who have done our kegels) can even hold it in until ya need to pee then clamp right up again to walk around etc..for hours. Any tampon-style 'thing' shoved up that is not sterile to begin with or in for longer than a few hours would be toxic...I'd never even consider them even now. Best bet...keep a blanket on hand to last for months as period-fodder.

men shouldn't be reading this thread LOLOL

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by suzque66

I think that men need to read it! I just think that they shouldn't comment on it!!!

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Well, true, because

as Jack would say They 'can't handle the truth' lol

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Um excuse my ignorance but sticking a CUP in my yoo hoo sounds painful. I wear tampons but they pintch the shyt out of me sometimes but one grows use to it. But a CUP? Wouldn't that be very uncomftorable. What type of material is this thing made of? Plastic I assume, OUCH... Anyone used one of these things? Do you know if it painfull? I have stocked up on pads and tampons but gee wiz 10 years worth is a little much, so this sounds like a good idea. I'm just thinking owee... Is it just me? My mom and her six sisters did the rag thing back in the day, but we must consider how many rags (or old clothes) could one fit in a backpack along with all the other have to have items we will need? I have bad cramps sometimes and I worry about being without my heating pad and Advil? Any natural yet safe cramp killer ideas?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join