It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immortal Technique needs to be heard

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeasahtheseer

Originally posted by Jakes51
reply to post by jeasahtheseer

I'll agree that most of the "rap," today sucks and is being produced for the masses as an attempt by the mainstream to dumb down the populace and keep them in the dark. However, I listen to hiphop because this is the music I grew up on. The music always left you with something to think about whether it be imperfections in the government or social hypocrisy. We can all relate to that one way or another. Any music is good music if stimulates thought and heightens your mental cortex. I take what I can from all music.

And even as recent as the nineties there where lots of good acts on mainstream labels, it seems like around the year 2000 or so it all went to crap. As matter of fact most of my favorite mcs are from mainstream labels back in the 90s (tribe called quest, wu tang, tupac, mobb deep, yes, I am into "gangter rap"
).

[edit on 4-7-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

Oh yeah that's my stuff give me some wutang, Pac, Mobb Deep, Hieroglyphics, Prince Paul, Beastie Boys, Redman, Nas, Pete Rock and CL Smooth, and many many more . . . and yes the old school gangster rap Ice Cube, King Tee, Cbo, Eightball n MJG, Ghetto Boys, Eazy E, Mc Eiht, DJ Quik, and others . . . I am set. However I see the stuff the kiddies are being exposed to and I tell them this stuff is garbage! They don't listen to me even when I try to expose them to stuff we used to listen to. The youth I suppose is being dumb downed and brainwashed by the likes of Lil Wayne and Young Jeezy.

[edit on 4-7-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   

I'll agree that most of the "rap," today sucks and is being produced for the masses as an attempt by the mainstream to dumb down the populace and keep them in the dark. However, I listen to hiphop because this is the music I grew up on. The music always left you with something to think about whether it be imperfections in the government or social hypocrisy. We can all relate to that one way or another. Any music is good music if stimulates thought and heightens your mental cortex. I take what I can from all music.

And even as recent as the nineties there where lots of good acts on mainstream labels, it seems like around the year 2000 or so it all went to crap. As matter of fact most of my favorite mcs are from mainstream labels back in the 90s (tribe called quest, wu tang, tupac, mobb deep, yes, I am into "gangter rap"
).

Oh yeah that's my stuff give me some wutang, Pac, Mobb Deep, Hieroglyphics, Prince Paul, Beastie Boys, Redman, Nas, Pete Rock and CL Smooth, and many many more . . . and yes the old school gangster rap Ice Cube, King Tee, Cbo, Eightball n MJG, Ghetto Boys, Eazy E, and others I am set. However I see the stuff the kiddies are being exposed to and I tell them this stuff is garbage! They don't listen to me even when I try to expose them to stuff we used to listen to. The youth I suppose is being dumb downed and brainwashed by the likes of Lil Wayne and Young Jeezy.

My point exactly, I even see people daily going as far as saying "lil wayne is the greatest rapper ever". Also the thing with a lot of these modern day "ganster rappers" is most them have NO MESSAGE in their music. They are just talking about violence and guns and drugs just for the hell of it. Most of the oldschool gangster rappers where simply talking about what they see daily in their neighborhoods, they werent glorifying it. As matter of fact most old gangster rap doesnt make that lifestyle sound appealing at all. Most of the songs had a message in it, like nwa for example with "F the police" the average person might see that song as just some hateful anti cop song, but everything they are saying in that song is completely true. Cops DO mess with black people and target and profile minorites more than other people. And I'm a white guy (well half white) and even I say that, but I have witnessed it myself, I grew up in the slums in oakland and most of my friends are black and I personally have witnessed cops come and harrass my friends MANY times and NOT ONCE have they ever harrassed me, I assume its cause i'm white.

Theres groups like mobb deep who if you really listen to their songs you can planly see they are speaking AGAINST that lifestyle. Not so much nowadays, but they used to. Although I just read a interview with prodigy from prison and he says something like hes trying to escape the whole corporate rap scene and stuff like that, so maybe when he gets outta jail mobb deep will go back to what they used to be. I hope so because they are probably my favorite group next to wu tang, the first mobb deep album that came out in 95 is AMAZING. Every single track on it is great.

Edit: Also I noticed you mentioned hiero, they are one of my FAV groups ever! I live in the bay area and have seen them many times live, del is freaking AMAZING live. I saw him like 10 years ago or so when 3030 came out and he put on the most amazing hip hop show I've ever seen. He said he was on mushrooms when he came out and he was obviously tripping out but he put on the sickest show ever

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Yeah you hit the nail on the head. I see modern rap music as being contrived by simpletons with no thought behind the content. At least in our day and age we had songs like "F the Police," that actually said something about police harassment and profiling as you state. Even when those songs came out the holier-than-thou types where lambasting against those songs. Just the sheer complexity of the beats and lyrics are by far ahead of the learning curve today. You would figure MC's would get better over time but the ones in the mainstream have actually regressed to nursery rhyme styles.

Don't get me wrong their are modern acts still holding the torch for true hiphop, such as, Rhymefest, Immortal Technique, Slaine, Special Teamz, Bootcamp Clik, Common, Juice out of Chicago, Jedi Mind Tricks, and others.The sad thing is that they aren't making the money they deserve. However, try getting someone young to listen to our stuff and they will turn it away because that is what I have encountered through my own experiences.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   

).

Oh yeah that's my stuff give me some wutang, Pac, Mobb Deep, Hieroglyphics, Prince Paul, Beastie Boys, Redman, Nas, Pete Rock and CL Smooth, and many many more . . . and yes the old school gangster rap Ice Cube, King Tee, Cbo, Eightball n MJG, Ghetto Boys, Eazy E, and others I am set. However I see the stuff the kiddies are being exposed to and I tell them this stuff is garbage! They don't listen to me even when I try to expose them to stuff we used to listen to. The youth I suppose is being dumb downed and brainwashed by the likes of Lil Wayne and Young Jeezy.

My point exactly, I even see people daily going as far as saying "lil wayne is the greatest rapper ever". Also the thing with a lot of these modern day "ganster rappers" is most them have NO MESSAGE in their music. They are just talking about violence and guns and drugs just for the hell of it. Most of the oldschool gangster rappers where simply talking about what they see daily in their neighborhoods, they werent glorifying it. As matter of fact most old gangster rap doesnt make that lifestyle sound appealing at all. Most of the songs had a message in it, like nwa for example with "F the police" the average person might see that song as just some hateful anti cop song, but everything they are saying in that song is completely true. Cops DO mess with black people and target and profile minorites more than other people. And I'm a white guy (well half white) and even I say that, but I have witnessed it myself, I grew up in the slums in oakland and most of my friends are black and I personally have witnessed cops come and harrass my friends MANY times and NOT ONCE have they ever harrassed me, I assume its cause i'm white.

Theres groups like mobb deep who if you really listen to their songs you can planly see they are speaking AGAINST that lifestyle. Not so much nowadays, but they used to. Although I just read a interview with prodigy from prison and he says something like hes trying to escape the whole corporate rap scene and stuff like that, so maybe when he gets outta jail mobb deep will go back to what they used to be. I hope so because they are probably my favorite group next to wu tang, the first mobb deep album that came out in 95 is AMAZING. Every single track on it is great.

Edit: Also I noticed you mentioned hiero, they are one of my FAV groups ever! I live in the bay area and have seen them many times live, del is freaking AMAZING live. I saw him like 10 years ago or so when 3030 came out and he put on the most amazing hip hop show I've ever seen. He said he was on mushrooms when he came out and he was obviously tripping out but he put on the sickest show ever

Yeah Hiero is one of the finest hip hop groups to grace the airwaves. It's like a super group! Their popularity should have made it out of the west coast though. They should be mentioned with the other super groups like Wu Tang, Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, DITC, and Brand Nubian. However, just not a lot of people have been exposed to them as we have.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   

it is definately paranoia, altough fake paranoia. they're using music to make horror movie soundtracks. if you like that, fine, i'm just saying it's intended to scare you and get into your brain. it's dumb because why in the world would you fake paranoia. that makes absolutely no sense to me.

as far as "happy music", you're just moving from one extreme to the other and making it sound as if those are teh only two choices. don't include me in that line of thought please.

i usually like hip hop/rap beats but it just gets old. all pop music gets old really fast. you don't even need to hear the whole song to knwo where it's going. lyrically speaking i suppose this guy is talented. i wouldn't know i hardly ever pay attention to lyrics so i'll take your word for it. but musically this is elementary. that doesn't mean it's "bad" music, it's just boring, bland, and dime a dozen. although it does scare the crap out of people so it's not as boring in that category.

i believe music is sacred and one of teh reasons it stayed secret for so long was so that every tom dick and joe couldn't put their sweaty, greasy, stamp of pop approval on it and make a buck or two. now that the cat's out of teh bag any old joe can desecrate the sanctity of music at his leisure.

btw, i didn't say i didn't like conspiracies. read a little closer next time.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I noticed you the music is elementary, well rap was never very musical, its all about the lyrics and the poetry. Music is just a extra part.

Most of your post makes no sense, I have no idea what you are talking about. Most of these rappers that people are naming in here are VERY humble people, and none of this is fake paranoia. Most the stuff they are talking about is very true, and I don't know what you are talking about the music scares people. It doesnt scare me, it doesnt scare anyone I know, because we know its all true most the stuff they are saying... Do you mean they are gangster rap and thats whats scaring people? Because if thats what you mean, you're wrong, none of these rappers named are gangster rappers at all.

Also you even said yourself you don't listen to the lyrics, so how could you know if what they are talking about is true or not? Hip Hop music was never very musical with nice background music and stuff, its pretty much ALL about the lyrics. If you don't like lyrics and poetry, you most likely won't like hip hop

Seriously, what does fake paranoia mean? Are you saying the stuff they are talking about in their songs is all made up and the world is a perfect place?

All I know is I grew up in a bad area and I LOVE hip hop music and relate to it more than any other music and its got me through more bad times than ANYTHING else in my entire life. So for that, I think hip hop is pretty damned powerful music.

A lot of these rappers are talking about the EXACT SAME STUFF you'd read about on here but yet I don't see you calling all that paranoid. So whats your problem? I don't get it.

The only people I could see it "scaring" are middle to upperclass people who aren't woken up to whats really happening in the world.

To bad none of these artists mentioned in here are just trying to make money. If they were they would sign to major labels and make MILLIIONS. They believe the stuff they are talking about in their music and most the stuff they talk about in their music is true stuff, especially stuff about living in bad neighborhoods and stuff..

What the hell do you mean... how is it fake paranoia? Are you insinuating they are using all this as a gimmick to sell records? Because that could be the farthest from the truth, if these guys wanted a gimmick theyd make all that poppy crap like lil wayne and 50 cent and make millions. That proves to me they arent just in it for the money, because any of these rappers could sell out and start rapping about that crap and make millions.

Also I don't know if you trying to say anyone can just start rapping (is that what you mean by average joes?)... well that is completely untrue too. People think rap takes no skill, but these people who say this stuff I bet couldnt write a rap and make it sound good if their life depended on it.

Rapping is just as much a skill and talent as singing is. And not everyone can do it. Maybe even harder to do than singing.

And the hip hop discussed in here is far from pop, sorry to say. Pop is the stuff you see on tv and stuff, the hip hop people are discussing in here would never in a million years get played on tv.

and you make no sense how is hearing about conspiracies and things through music any different than reading about them? its the same thing.

Also most of these rappers don't only rap about that kind of stuff, they rap about all kidns of things. Just the videos people have posted in here are their songs where they are talking about stuff that would relate to things youd read on this site...

And I relate to this music because I grew up in a bad area, I'm not privledged, I've never had a anything given to me and I just in general relate to a lot of the stuff they talk about in their songs. Thats why I like it.

How is this stuff any different than all the rock groups from the 60s who made anti war songs and stuff? It isnt, its the same thing. And I never see people complaining about that stuff, and thats because its rock music.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Deus Ex Machina 42

Excellent, I had not heard of this guy yet, I will be glad to listen to him.

Tupac is also and always has been timely, just think of lyrics like "even though it seems heaven sent, we're not ready to see a black president." Alot of what he says fits alot of different situations and it is easy to find a correlation with the events of the present and the lyrics of the past.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by BaronVonGodzilla
reply to post by Deus Ex Machina 42

Excellent, I had not heard of this guy yet, I will be glad to listen to him.

Tupac is also and always has been timely, just think of lyrics like "even though it seems heaven sent, we're not ready to see a black president." Alot of what he says fits alot of different situations and it is easy to find a correlation with the events of the present and the lyrics of the past.

Tupac is great, one of the greatest artists of modern times in my opionon. A lot of people don't know a lot about tupac and they just assume he was some gangster rapper, when in reality a lot of his stuff was PURE BEAUTIFUL POETRY and so much of his music is so freaking true.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

edit - removed post. i don't care anymore. blah bye.

[edit on 4-7-2009 by Moodle]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moodle

edit - removed post. i don't care anymore. blah bye.

[edit on 4-7-2009 by Moodle]

All I wanna know is what the HELL do you mean by fake paranoia? I just don't understand, man. Are you saying the world is a perfect great place nowadays and all the stuff they are talking about in their songs isnt true? How is what these rappers are doing any different than what rock bands did back in the 60s protesting the war and stuff? Its the same thing... And a lot of these rappers actually back up what they are saying by going to third world countries and speaking and donating money, helping out kids in third world countries, and all kinda stuff. That guy Immortal Technique does A LOT of that kinda stuff and hes involved in a lot of human rights organizations. He also donates time helping his people in a lot of south american countries (because hes latino).

Rappers are actually some of the ONLY musicians in the world today with the guts to talk about these things, I don't have anything against rock or anything, as matter of fact I'm a fan of rock... But I don't think I've heard ONE SINGLE modern rock song about these type of things... or if a band does make a song they just make one single song, and its most likely just a gimmick to get a few extra fans.

What I meant by "happy" music is I mean a lot of songs nowadays are just about like a girlfriend, or boyfriend, or partying, dumb crap like that. Theres a lot of bad stuff going on in the world, who cares about partying and stuff. And I don't wanna hear some guy whine about his girlfriend, thats my problem with modern rock music, the whole "emo" thing. Its lame.

These mcs (rappers) are sure as hell doing much more for the world than some conspiracy theorist sitting on a website.

Oh well, I'm not mad or anything, well I kinda am because I don't like people insulting the music I've grown with and love with all my heart. You'll never see me insulting anyones music, because music is VERY personal and people take their music VERY serious, just like politics. I did make that comment about "happy" music, but I wasn't refering to any music in general. And its kinda true, the world isnt a happy place nowadays, and a lot of GOOD art reflects that.

No offense but you can't argue with me about if hip hop music is true and real or not, because I've listened to it my entire life and know all about it. I've even personally experienced a lot of the things rappers talk about in their music, as I've lived in a crappy neighborhood all my life. I bet you know nothing about hip hop, I bet all the rappers you know are like 50 cent and lil wayne and all that garbage.

Like I said it appears you don't like hip hop, you should have just said that rather than make some snide comment and insult the intellilgence of people who LOVE this artform. I wouldn't have even been arguign with you if you just said something like "I don't like hip hop" but instead you say that everything these rappers are talking about is untrue and just call it paranoia, but yet you are on a conspiracy sites. me being a hip hop lover, of course I'm going to respond when you say something that is untrue.

And if this stuff is so untrue please, by all means, listen to a few of these songs and point out the things they are saying that is just "paranoia" because most the stuff in these songs does ring true to whats happening on out planet.

If you are going to respond to me please point out the lies and paranoia these guys are displaying in their songs, I bet you can't point out any.

Now I'm not trying to be rude or anything with my post, I just want your view point on this! You can't make a comment and call something "dumb" and than not back it up at all...

What makes it dumb!?!?

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
ok fine.

the music is dumb, not the lyrics.

couldn't agree more about modern "rock". although i usually say they're crying about their mommies and not girlfriends. just my personal feeling on that one. (toadies and smashing pumpkins excepted. really liked those bands)

loving music doesn't mean it's good. sorry but most music (read that, most) is total trash. and yes i would consider a lot of what IT is doing as pop. even though it isn't bubble gum music it's still the same beat that we've all heard since 1985. i'm sorry but it's just old and boring. there isn't anything you can do about it.

and YES, it is fake paranoia. listen to the music on that first video posted. it's just like requim for a dream and a thousand other hip/hop rap songs. they try to scare the crap out of everyone and don't even change keys throughout the song. they just press a few chords on a synthesizer piano on top of teh first beat of teh same beat that everyone has heard a MILLION times.

lyrically, fine, i give it to you. maybe he's great. like i said i just don't care about lyrics. i like guitar mostly but i like to listen to all teh istruments. if this guy is your hero then i'm sorry for calling him out. i know i've been pissed when people bash jimi hendrix or something. but if you're looking for the best music that's out there you're gonna have to keep looking.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join