It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: "Humans Have Entered a New Stage of Evolution"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by John Matrix

What is the difference between an adaptive response and evolution? They sound like the same thing with just a different name to me. You know the saying "A rose by any other name...."

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

I have a question for you. If the earth is only 6000 years old how then can we see the light from something say 7000 light years away, or 100000 light years away?

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
I avoid videos generally, as they are usually poorly researched and emotive and full of propogannda, I prefer written works if you have any, I will happily read.

zazz

Books are generally outdated before they hit the shelves. The videos I linked to are made with well known experts in their fields of science, archeology, bio genetics, geology etc. Some are University professors....LOL.

I'm begining to think your Ph.D stands for Post-hole-Digger.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by grapesofraft

What is the difference between an adaptive response and evolution? They sound like the same thing with just a different name to me. You know the saying "A rose by any other name...."

I would suggest looking it up for yourself. It will be much more meaningful to you that way.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   

This is what I found on Wikipedia and it seems to only apply to E.Coli.

The adaptive response is a form of direct DNA repair in E. coli that is initiated against alkylation, particularly methylation, of guanine or thymine nucleotides or phosphate groups on the sugar-phosphate backbone of DNA. Under sustained exposure to low-level treatment with alkylating mutagens, E. coli can adapt to the presence of the mutagen, rendering subsequent treatment with high doses of the same agent less effective.[1]

The adaptive response is mediated by the ada protein, which covalently transfers alkyl groups from the damaged DNA to one of its two cysteine residues, rendering the protein enzymatically dead. It is thus a "suicide" protein that reacts stoichiometrically rather than catalytically. Methylated ada acts as a transcription factor to initiate the adaptive response, promoting the expression of related genes such as alkA, alkB, aidB, and ada itself. The alkA gene product is a glycosylase,[1] the aidB product is a flavin-containing protein,[2] and alkB is an iron-dependent oxidoreductase;[3] all are involved in further DNA repairs of alkylation damage

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I have a question for you. If the earth is only 6000 years old how then can we see the light from something say 7000 light years away, or 100000 light years away?

I don't know how old the earth is. Do you?

So I cannot answer your question, however, it is possible that light travelled faster in the past, especially at the first moments the Universe came into existence.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Well you claim to be a Creationist right? Dont creationists think the Earth is 6000 years old?

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Well you claim to be a Creationist right? Dont creationists think the Earth is 6000 years old?

Watch the following series of 4 videos. I think most of your questions will be answered. www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Interesting thread. I've noticed that most folks see evolution as yang, and deevolution as yin. "You can't make a cake without breaking eggs."

Evolution, to me, is a very neutral thing that does not see good or bad.

You speak of this kind of evolution...this external evolution of ideas and science(knowledge/math).

I guess it is really just the evolution of science(and it's mountainous textbooks).

If science(what has really evolved) were taken away right now, there would be many a cry baby in the world today.

We have evolved, but into what?

But... after a generation or two, that evolution would wisp away on the wind.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien

Originally posted by fapython
I think that the external stuff is )ust a reflection and a result of our evolution and not part of evolution parsee. I believe we are infact de-volving as can be seen in reflection of our society/civilisations today, moraly corrupting, greed, rising crime rates, focus on individual instead of the community. I think that it's up to our governments to bring in legislation to protect our civilisation and to try and reverse the process of devolution. I also believe that contibuting factors are multiculturalism and race-mixing which is also destroying civilisation and should be halted.

You have to evolve to become intelligent enough and technically advanced enough to be able to understand evolution.. Now we do, we are starting to play with that process and manipulate DNA in many things. We are even starting to combine technology into it. We are even working on Artificial Intelligence.

The main reason for this 'devolution' you speak of is because of the governments, TPTB, education, greed, corruption. Those things are there by design to stop us from evolving in a much faster rate. Those who have 'woken' are the ones who are doing the evolving and doing their damned best to help everyone else. You can let your government rule your life for you.. personally every government aint worth shaking a stick at and I'll evolve in my own way and time

So race-mixing is destroying civilisation? I can't think of any single comment that has ever been more racist and offensive.

Race-mixing, as you put it, is evolution. It is and will be the way forward for all Humanity. I see a world of people who are all the same colour. Then we will be free of racists, racism and comments such as yours.

The perfect example of race mixing is the mexican man, and he is by far not a superiour more evolved being. we have to admit, there are superiour beings and inferiour beings, the White European man is the epitome of superiority. For example, at the beginning of the last centuary the european man had in possession 97% of the world. The British alone had almost 25% and are responsible for over 60% of the inventions. To mix yourself up in the rediculous marxist ideology of everyone being equal is )ust plain folly as it is impossible to make everyone in the world become a full european as we only equate to 9% of the worlds population (within 100 years at the current rate we will be 0.9%) it would mean making the European a lessor race which realistically speaking will lower the human race considerably. Who got man to the moon, who got man deep under the sea, who got man in the sky ? who is really the victim of racism ?. The European male, he of all the peoples of this planet if the most disciminated against. The word racist was made in the former soviet union by the )ew leon trotsky (bronstein) to restrict the free thinking of the russian peoples. Mixing the races together and multiculturalism will destroy society, history shows that a nation with multiple ethnic groups will be unstable and evidently destroy themselves. An example is in this video
And this will show you how we are not evolving but devolving.

The term "Racist" and "Bigot" today is the same as "Witch" and "Heretic" were back in the dark ages, it is )ust a tool to stunt humans

[edit on 4/7/09 by fapython]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by fapython

The perfect example of race mixing is the mexican man, and he is by far not a superiour more evolved being. we have to admit, there are superiour beings and inferiour beings, the White European man is the epitome of superiority. For example, at the beginning of the last centuary the european man had in possession 97% of the world. The British alone had almost 25% and are responsible for over 60% of the inventions. To mix yourself up in the rediculous marxist ideology of everyone being equal is )ust plain folly as it is impossible to make everyone in the world become a full european as we only equate to 9% of the worlds population (within 100 years at the current rate we will be 0.9%) it would mean making the European a lessor race which realistically speaking will lower the human race considerably. Who got man to the moon, who got man deep under the sea, who got man in the sky ? who is really the victim of racism ?. The European male, he of all the peoples of this planet if the most disciminated against. The word racist was made in the former soviet union by the )ew leon trotsky (bronstein) to restrict the free thinking of the russian peoples. Mixing the races together and multiculturalism will destroy society, history shows that a nation with multiple ethnic groups will be unstable and evidently destroy themselves. An example is in this video

And this will show you how we are not evolving but devolving.

The term "Racist" and "Bigot" today is the same as "Witch" and "Heretic" were back in the dark ages, it is )ust a tool to stunt humans

I can't believe you said that.

But numbers never lie right? Numbers are like a god nowadays.

Listen. In my experience. People... have their strengths and weaknesses. Is invention good? maybe, partially.. it brings both good and bad with it. Your inventors have succeeded in the arts of finance, invention, engineering. Some "other" inventors have done the same, but I agree not inasmuch as the ones you speak of.

What is success though? In this current world we live in it is obvious, $$$$.

To me this is BS. To me this is a version of success, but not more successful than say the preacher who has led his people out of darkness. Success is about perspective just like anything else.

The human being will never evolve until he realizes that the opinion of his peers is not the measure of success. It is what in his/her own heart determines success that truly matters.

Though I suppose that only people like myself will see that success. The way the world is, success IS only measured by the opinion of peers, and perhaps that's the way it should be, else this would be paradise, and that... would just not do.

[edit on 4-7-2009 by dragonking76]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

In recent years, we have quit becoming taller in the US.

Our pinky toes are shrinking. Our back molars are becoming shorter. These would be genetic evolution.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by fapython

You may have a point Adolf!

Eugenics and purity of race. Protect and cherish our precious pure bodily fluids.
Once the impurities are removed we can achieve heaven on earth and build a thousand year Reich. Oh we already tried that...

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
*Making another thread*

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
*Making another thread*

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
*Making another Thread* Although i shall leave this one with a quote.

"Hitler will emerge from the hatred that surrounds him now as one of the most significant figures who ever lived... He had a mystery about him in the way that he lived and in the manner of his death that will live and grow after him. He had in him the stuff of which legends are made." - John F. Kennedy, President of the United States of America

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by fapython

Good quote, and a true quote.

I know this is poofery and a movie, but the quote is good all the same:
"We do not speak his name! The wand chooses the wizard, Mr. Potter. It's not always clear why. But I think it is clear that we can expect great things from you. After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things. Terrible! Yes. But great."--Harry Potter and the Socerer's Stone

I hate to say it... but Adolf Hitler was probably the greatest leader of the twentieth century. He just had personal problems.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
But - i thought we were all made by magic - or what ever the fck you call this stupid random #e ----

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I coulden't agree more. Human and animal evolution has usually been directed by forces beyond our control. As important as agriculture and primitive tool making are concerned, true social changes from thier impact would usually take generations, at least.

What has changed so dramaticly? For animals is the destruction of thier ecosystems. While some will cope, I fear most wont. For us, the most profound change since the printing press is the internet. A billion potential people sharing ideas can only produce the most profound, and revealing ideas. The internet will change us like no ther in a 1,000 years.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Just seen this.

Don't mean to be disrespectful, but he's quick isn't he.

Glad to see an eminantly respected fellow endorsing something many have been pointing out for a long time now.

Nice one professor, sir. (Did hope he'd say something about "Intraphasic matter" at some point but nevermind.).

Now i will read the thread etc.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join