It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABUSE CRISIS: Arab TV Airs Video Of US Hostage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
The Al-Arabiya television network has just aired video reported to be of an American Hostage in Iraq. He has been identified as Aban Elias.

The hostage identified himself as Yvan Elias and was a civilian contractor employed by the Pentagon, the channel said.

He added that he had been kidnapped on 3 May by the previously unknown "Islamic Anger Brigades". More Follows.

BBC NEWS LINK
FOXNEWS LINK

[Edited on 6-5-2004 by Nerdling]

[Edited on 5-6-2004 by Valhall]

[Edited on 5-9-2004 by Valhall]

[Edited on 10-5-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Islamic Anger Brigades? Oh God, these guys MUST BE SERIOUS!!!

Punks. Every single one of them. Just need a good smack down. A few cleverly placed tacticals oughta do the trick, I'd say. That'll shut 'em up right quick!

Delta+Chaos=Freedom

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
It would be intresting to see if they mention anything about the prisoners treatment.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Yeah that ought to work. Kill some more of their people and children. That's what these guys do you know. If you attack them and kill them they get scared and won't attack you anymore. Ask Israel. I suggest you invest in a history book.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos
Islamic Anger Brigades? Oh God, these guys MUST BE SERIOUS!!!

Punks. Every single one of them. Just need a good smack down. A few cleverly placed tacticals oughta do the trick, I'd say. That'll shut 'em up right quick!

Delta+Chaos=Freedom

Thats some nice 'tough-guy speak' there dude. Maybe we should send you over there, you sound like you could handle them. Just go over there and recite the phrase "Its time to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and im all out of gum" and im sure the problem would be solved right away. Im glad everything is so straight forward and easy in this world. Delta chaos your my hero!

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Listen, Gates...

Decisive victory has NEVER failed to achieve peace. In the history of the World. Ask any Israeli what color dog food the Palestinians would be by now if only US would let them off their leash... History...

I think the reason why these things aren't taken care of sooner and quicker is because we keep pussyfootin' around, tryin' ta be nice. Screw the Geneva conventions, none of our enemies adhere to them. THEY declared war long ago and have been making strides under our noses. It's unfortunate that millions of muslims have gone rotten because of a few bad apples. I assure you there will be plenty left when we're done with them.

I suppose we should just keep doing in years and for hundreds of billions of dollars what could, and should be done in months with all those stupid old bombs they keep makin' JDAMs out of. Screw the JDAM and it's capability to seriously limit collateral damage or loss of innocent life, or however you choose to euphemize death.... Just let the bastards fall where they will! No one appreciates the lengths to which we have gone and the money we have all spent building more accurate weapons in response to the outrage caused by them in the first place...

You read me? Is this the pit? Oh, #. I thought I was in the pit.

Banshee, please don't beat me.... it hasn't been long enough... *whines like lost, wet puppy*

Delta+Chaos=Freedom

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColonelForbin
Thats some nice 'tough-guy speak' there dude. Maybe we should send you over there, you sound like you could handle them.
Hey Colonel, if you deserve to be called that, I tried my damnedest to be on a plane to Afghanistan that left Honolulu on wendesday. I would be there if I could. I never really intended to leave. 7 years was all I was lucky enough for.

You think not fighting is the answer? You think rolling over like Spain did is going to get them off our backs? You do realize that they have declared Jihad on western civilization and that their mission statement has something to do with never quitting until we're all gone? How the hell are you supposed to react rightly to that? It seems like it's us or them then, doesn't it? These people are very aware that to meet their goals in their war that it may well take generations to do so. They are willing and prepared to do this, and they are educating their children with this particular tenet of their belief system as a focal point.

I oughta beat you with your God damn history book.

Man, if I keep it up, I'm going to be living in the pit with Colonel (the real one). Now that's an odd couple!

DipsyCaustic

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
And another thing...

The sole and primay purpose of our military is to ensure the impossibility of our lazy, flat, civilian asses ever coming into danger. THAT'S IT!!!

Whomever had the idea to use an elite fighting force to 'build a democracy' was a complete and utter moron with the IQ of a Bush. I liken this man's worth to soap scum. Stupid, arrogant, spoiled, rich, cowardly, snide, contemptuous, pretentious, prick. The guy throws money down like it was DOMINO MOTHER ******!!!!

Pardon my American.

DC

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It is very easy to point the blame at the Muslim world for declaring Jihad against the West. Never mind that we have been manipulating their governments for decades all in the name of oil and religion. Never mind that we turned a blind eye to the horrors in Iraq as long as Saddam served OUR interests. Never mind that we have gone in and attacked a country and their people, and are still doing it.

Let me ask you something, what would you do (DC) if the UN suddenly decided that Bush was an evil that must be removed, and that the world would be a better place without him and sent in their own force for Regime Change? That is right, you would be fighting them just as I would. Then WE would be the insurgents. Is that how it works. The dominating oppresive force is the good guy? We have the biggest guns, so do as we say? Didn't Obi Wan teach you ANYthing? Fear, anger, hatred...these lead to the path of the dark side.

The force is NOT strong with this one...

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
So why is no one complaining about the violation against the Geneva convention Al-Arabiyah has committed? The terrorists abide by no rules, but this hostage, a prisoner as a result of this war, is being broadcast internationally. Oh, right, double standard for Arab countries. At least they're not killing him by chopping off body parts joint by joint. They're getting better! We should commend them!

[Edited on 5-6-2004 by junglejake]

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arcadian
It is very easy to point the blame at the Muslim world for declaring Jihad against the West. Never mind that we have been manipulating their governments for decades all in the name of oil and religion....
NO government has ever been controlled by the United States unless they agreed to a deal. Except for Haiti. and Panama. Oh, and then there was the Cherokee Nation...

Never mind that we turned a blind eye to the horrors in Iraq as long as Saddam served OUR interests. Never mind that we have gone in and attacked a country and their people, and are still doing it.
Saddam was on our payroll and what happened for the years directly following the CIA canning his ass was that he pouted and refused any and all assistance from US and our allies. There's only so much you can do for a child who refuses the medicine. Of which we sent cases and was mostly sold for profit and/or used to form new and interesting compounds.

I don't see anyone with a real sense of history about this war. 1 year, and we've lost 760? We'd lost 25,000 by the end of the first year in Vietnam. And caused a hundred times as many civilian deaths... By the end of the Vietnam war, we had 65,000 dead on the ground of our own, and 2 million poor saps who stepped in the flight path of our projectiles. In the Civil war, It wasn't uncommon to lose 60,000 men in a day! And that's with almost zero collateral damage due to the war fighting methods.

God, it's just that when a group of people adamantly and repeatedly declare their hatred for you and how they will not rest until they've killed you and all of your ilk, I can't understand how people cannot see that conjecture and diplomacy is a non-option. The longer we screw around with these little rats, the fatter they get.

One day their going to get so fat that they actually DO drag a nuke on top of LA or NY, and when that happens, it'll be the same old story. Who's responsible for the intelligence failure that led to the deaths of 600,000 Americans? And everyone is going to complain that adequate measures weren't taken to prevent the attack, and here we are right now talking about nothing but pulling out and doing nothing. Look, if America doesn't clean up this mess, no one else will. Especially with this DOLT we have at the helm.

I'm sorry, what was the question?

Let me ask you something, what would you do (DC) if the UN suddenly decided that Bush was an evil that must be removed, and that the world would be a better place without him and sent in their own force for Regime Change?
What would I do? I'll tell you what I'd do... I'd demand my money back because that was the worst movie that I ever saw. Regime Change? OWN FORCE? Listen, the UN gets it's little jobs done by BORROWING Armies from those who HAVE THEM! And WE are the ones who HAVE THEM. That's why they're always calling. What are they going to do, sick us on ourselves?

That is right, you would be fighting them just as I would. Then WE would be the insurgents. Is that how it works. The dominating oppresive force is the good guy? We have the biggest guns, so do as we say? Didn't Obi Wan teach you ANYthing? Fear, anger, hatred...these lead to the path of the dark side.
Yes, I remember Obi-Wan did teach me something... That TRUTH is dependent on one's own point of view. But successful people whose brains I've had the opportunity to pick tell me this about reality: He who understands it and accepts it for what is is, controls it. He who dreams beyond reason leaves no imprint in the future.

And yeah, we do have some BIG GUNS don't we? And pretty planes...

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" -Han Solo

DC

[Edited on 6-5-2004 by DeltaChaos]

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
The people responsible for these acts on BOTH sides of the issue need to be brought to justice. The Geneva convention may not be followed by a rebel cleric and his organization, but is sure as damn well better be followed by our servicemen. We have no right to do something horrible just because someone else does something worse. This better of two evils crap annoys me. The ONLY reasons we are there are religion and oil. Ousting Saddam was just a bonus. We aren't there to "liberate" anyone. We are there to mold them into what WE want because we cannot understand their strange way of life from our air conditioned rooms while we sit and whine on forums.

Regardless of ANYthing those prisoners or their affiliations did, we have no right to humiliate or degrade them. Justice will be brought upon them ultimately.

This action has undermined our entire stance in their country. Pretty soon the whole place will be labeled insurgents and enemy combatants because they dont agree with us.

We are the United States of America. We are the richest, most powerful country in the world. We have a RESPONSIBILITY to be "better" and show more restraint than those that hate our way of life. That brings me to another point, they hate us not because of what we have, but it is what we do with it. We the people of the united states of hypocracy....

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Last time I checked, we didn't win in Vietnam...
and it was one of the darkest chapters in our history. We pay tax dollars to satisfy the interests of morons in suits running oil and drug companies and stay complacent with our tv and american idols. The people who live in these countries no nothing else than their lifestyle. The problem is that there is always a "boogie man" waiting. Arent we supposed to be going after the masterminds of 911? Last time I checked, Iraq had ZERO, thats right, ZERO ties to al Quaida.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   
You forget DC, it was Luke Skywalker that had to unfreeze Han Solo from carbonite and saved his gung ho behind. I will agree with you though, we must have a different commander in chief. Had we had someone else at the helm, this war would have been over with a year ago.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Wow, where to start

www.weeklystandard.com...

Of note is the last paragraph in the article. Enjoy.

www.techcentralstation.com...

Yet again another. I'm sure I could find more, I'm just too lazy to do it.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   
There, now you're starting to remind me of someone who cares... An angry American is a motivatied American!

But on the whole assault photos thing...

Does no one realize where the military gets most of it's personnel? People who make up the US military are about at the top of the bottom of the proverbial American barrell. Low to low-middle class American CHILDREN with at best, mediocre educations courtesy of our lovely public education system.

So we get a podunk, white bread, Virginia mountain town's reserve unit, forget to properly indoctrinate them with the Geneva conventions and the reasons for the adherence to them, let them sit through 4 months of 130 degree weather, and then tell them they're staying for another 6 months, "...or more, we really don't know for sure yet..." These kids are going crazy. And these ones probably haven't even seen any of the combat. I'm surprised something like abuse hasn't come up before now, honestly, and it wouldn't turn my head to find through this investigation that there have been beatings going on for no reason whatsoever, or worse.

Spend 20 days in the box at NTC in the Mojave, and you start to see things....

How about some sports news?

DC

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   

It is very easy to point the blame at the Muslim world for declaring Jihad against the West. Never mind that we have been manipulating their governments for decades all in the name of oil and religion. Never mind that we turned a blind eye to the horrors in Iraq as long as Saddam served OUR interests. Never mind that we have gone in and attacked a country and their people, and are still doing it.

Let me ask you something, what would you do (DC) if the UN suddenly decided that Bush was an evil that must be removed, and that the world would be a better place without him and sent in their own force for Regime Change? That is right, you would be fighting them just as I would. Then WE would be the insurgents. Is that how it works. The dominating oppresive force is the good guy? We have the biggest guns, so do as we say? Didn't Obi Wan teach you ANYthing? Fear, anger, hatred...these lead to the path of the dark side.

war isnt about fear, anger or hatred, most wars in history havent been that simple, even this war isnt about that if you've payed attention to how the wars in afghanistan and iraq are fought you can see our soldiers are doing it calm and trying to not kill everyone(and by now im sure seeing all their friends die makes them want to kill everyone).

try reading Sun Tzu's art of war and you'll understand what DC was trying to say, prolonged war drains your forces, weakens their morale and causes extra suffering, speedy victory is the primary goal and you must achieve it by any means to spare unneccisary problems from popping up later.

too bad more soldiers arent from west point, they are taught from that book ,other books and military history, hell the whole military should add learning these things to required training.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Last time I checked, we didn't win in Vietnam...
Yes, this is because our military commanders were not allowed to act in a decisive manner to secure victory. Armies do not function as they are intended if they are governed. We're a God Damned THOROUGBRED! If we do not seek to win immediately and relentlessly, then we must be seeking to lose.

DC

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere
...try reading Sun Tzu's art of war and you'll understand what DC was trying to say...

Art of War... definitely mandatory reading.

You'll understand something when you read it, but whether you understand anything I say, well... don't blame Sun Tzu. I wonder if anyone understands me sometimes.

DC

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos

It is very easy to point the blame at the Muslim world for declaring Jihad against the West. Never mind that we have been manipulating their governments for decades all in the name of oil and religion....
NO government has ever been controlled by the United States unless they agreed to a deal. Except for Haiti. and Panama. Oh, and then there was the Cherokee Nation...

Never mind that we turned a blind eye to the horrors in Iraq as long as Saddam served OUR interests. Never mind that we have gone in and attacked a country and their people, and are still doing it.
Saddam was on our payroll and what happened for the years directly following the CIA canning his ass was that he pouted and refused any and all assistance from US and our allies. There's only so much you can do for a child who refuses the medicine. Of which we sent cases and was mostly sold for profit and/or used to form new and interesting compounds.

I don't see anyone with a real sense of history about this war. 1 year, and we've lost 760? We'd lost 25,000 by the end of the first year in Vietnam. And caused a hundred times as many civilian deaths... By the end of the Vietnam war, we had 65,000 dead on the ground of our own, and 2 million poor saps who stepped in the flight path of our projectiles. In the Civil war, It wasn't uncommon to lose 60,000 men in a day! And that's with almost zero collateral damage due to the war fighting methods.

God, it's just that when a group of people adamantly and repeatedly declare their hatred for you and how they will not rest until they've killed you and all of your ilk, I can't understand how people cannot see that conjecture and diplomacy is a non-option. The longer we screw around with these little rats, the fatter they get.

One day their going to get so fat that they actually DO drag a nuke on top of LA or NY, and when that happens, it'll be the same old story. Who's responsible for the intelligence failure that led to the deaths of 600,000 Americans? And everyone is going to complain that adequate measures weren't taken to prevent the attack, and here we are right now talking about nothing but pulling out and doing nothing. Look, if America doesn't clean up this mess, no one else will. Especially with this DOLT we have at the helm.

I'm sorry, what was the question?

Let me ask you something, what would you do (DC) if the UN suddenly decided that Bush was an evil that must be removed, and that the world would be a better place without him and sent in their own force for Regime Change?
What would I do? I'll tell you what I'd do... I'd demand my money back because that was the worst movie that I ever saw. Regime Change? OWN FORCE? Listen, the UN gets it's little jobs done by BORROWING Armies from those who HAVE THEM! And WE are the ones who HAVE THEM. That's why they're always calling. What are they going to do, sick us on ourselves?

That is right, you would be fighting them just as I would. Then WE would be the insurgents. Is that how it works. The dominating oppresive force is the good guy? We have the biggest guns, so do as we say? Didn't Obi Wan teach you ANYthing? Fear, anger, hatred...these lead to the path of the dark side.
Yes, I remember Obi-Wan did teach me something... That TRUTH is dependent on one's own point of view. But successful people whose brains I've had the opportunity to pick tell me this about reality: He who understands it and accepts it for what is is, controls it. He who dreams beyond reason leaves no imprint in the future.

And yeah, we do have some BIG GUNS don't we? And pretty planes...

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" -Han Solo

DC

[Edited on 6-5-2004 by DeltaChaos]

top topics

join