It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bluetooth "Big Brother" tracks festival-goers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Bluetooth "Big Brother" tracks festival-goers

www.reuters.com

Researchers are using Bluetooth technology to observe the meanderings of tens of thousands of festival-goers at a top European rock festival, hoping their findings will launch a new generation of tracking devices.

We have installed 36 Bluetooth scanners across the site and along a few surrounding roads, as well as bus stops

Within a radius of 30 meters, the scanners track mobile phones equipped with Bluetooth, a type of short-range wireless technology which allows different devices to connect with one another, often to transfer files
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I'm hoping to get some responses from our European members on this. I seems extremely invasive to me, and a possible stepping stone to greater monitoring of the public. The article claims..

the masses flocking to see Coldplay, Kings of Leon or Metallica need not worry about their privacy

The researchers will only track the devices' MAC address -- a number that identifies each device on a network -- which cannot be traced to phone numbers or personal details

How do you feel about it?

-E-

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3-7-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Rip them down, boycott the festival and let people know that we do NOT want to be tracked like babies.

They can go and stick them up their own nosey arses.

That's how i feel...

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
What's good about this for the government is the public is providing the tracker signal and unique identifier at their own expense, and freely. When cellphones started coming out with Bluetooth I knew this was too good an opportunity for the government to pass on.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Why are you so concerned about what UK members think of this?

It's in Belgium, afterall.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by CRB86
Why are you so concerned about what UK members think of this?

It's in Belgium, afterall.

Good point, allow me to update OP!

-E-

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by CRB86

I'm concerned about the tracking of any free, lawful humans... If it was eskimo's being tracked or Pygmies... I'd still be concerned.

My point still stands, stick them up their own arses.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Can this be avoided by simply turning off your bluetooth? I know a few of my friends are gonna be at this festival...

Thing is, yes it probably will be used for nefarious means by the government(s), sooner rather than later. I think though, in the immediate future it'll provide more of an opportunity for targeted marketing, I was reading on here about DARPA creating a kind of "Lifebook" that would store everything about you, ever! So it's a logical working towards that, the pubs you go to, the foods you buy... can't find the link, sorry.

This could lead on to a greater understanding of many things, social organisation, human interaction in groups etc, etc. Scarily (?) this could be a larger step towards AI progress, the more we understand how we act and can scientifically correlate it, the more likely we can put this into software, maybe even hardware one day, get some decent replicants.

Edit to add:

To be honest, the vast majority of people at most festivals will be sheep anyway, it's more likely to be used to figure whether coldplay fans prefer coke or pepsi...

Although, if anything illegal happened you could use the data to narrow down and track anyone suspected...

Of course by illegal I mean thought-crime.

[edit on 3/7/0909 by jokei]

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by jokei
Can this be avoided by simply turning off your bluetooth? I know a few of my friends are gonna be at this festival...

Yes. Turn the Bluetooth off on your cellphone, and it won't transmit it's MAC address for them to track.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
From palowireless.com

Active Mode
In the active mode, the Bluetooth unit actively participates on the channel. The master schedules the transmission based on traffic demands to and from the different slaves. In addition, it supports regular transmissions to keep slaves synchronised to the channel. Active slaves listen in the master-to-slave slots for packets. If an active slave is not addressed, it may sleep until the next new master transmission.
AM_ADDR
Active Member Address. It is a 3 bit number. It is only valid as long as the slave is active on the channel. It is also sometimes called the MAC address of a Bluetooth unit.
This suggests to me that Bluetooth must be 'turned on' to have a valid number. But then I dont know anyone who leaves their phone with Bluetooth on the whole time, because it drains the battery much quicker, so I dunno, seems like they wouldn't bother doing it if that were the case. I wonder if putting the phone on 'invisible' would prevent detection?
It's a scary development. They'll have them built into police cars next & track demonstrators. B'stards!
S&F

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
T in The Park festival, Scotland is to have a night vision camera fitted to a blimp this year too.

The excuse is a knife attack at last years event. I was a regular at this festival for many years until I hung my wellies up 2 years ago and other than a similar incident in 2001, I didn't witness any trouble in all that time.

Read more here

Seems to me they are using summer festivals as training ops for large crowd control.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Whats going on here? things just seem to be getting out of control with this police state. It's like that drone they had at Stone Henge. we've been alright for the last 50 years, why do they feel the need to monitor everything we do all of a sudden, especially the young.

people need to get smart and out smart the police's shady tactics

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE

The researchers will only track the devices' MAC address -- a number that identifies each device on a network -- which cannot be traced to phone numbers or personal details

As Colonel Potter used to say, "Horse Feathers!'

The MAC is the ONE thing that indisputably links that device to a person. Do they think we're stupid?

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

Would you post a link to some info about MAC numbers & how they work please?
I love festivals & it's great to be able to use my phone to get online @them, so I'd hate to have to just switch the thing off.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Um, not quite true, I remembered this from being a kid and watching it on tv in the 80s, pretty much the majority of the UK press came out to condemn it and most importantly the news-press condemned it and broadcast lots of footage:

tash.gn.apc.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.youtube.com...

It's weird looking back at that the police seem so disorganised and the media seem interested and disgusted by the police treatment.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
This is too easy, take the battery out of your phone when not in use.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It's really nothing new - real old technology in the wide scheme of things... I even once had an app on my last Nokia that showed me all the SSID's in the area (you know the name you give your phone) It displayed the data in a graphical form which gave the signal strength and hence the distance.

You could even log your friends and get it to alert you when your in range - handy for a packed crowd, once your in bluetooth range your pretty much in shouting range... You just lo-jacked those 'friends' who never brought a round!

new topics

top topics

join