It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any linux gurus here?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Knoppix 5.3.1 won't boot from iso. Does anyone know how to fix this error? The whole error message is as follows-

insmod can not insert /cdrom/knoppix/modules/cloop.ko
Invalid module format (-1)

I think the error has something to do with cdrom on my machine but am not sure. The same iso boots fine on cd or on usb in my lap top. The thing has booted for months on end until I tryed to decompress a minirt.gz, mount it and and look inside it last night. Any help would be greatly apreciatated.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Probably a bad burn or your CD Drive at a guess.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by VitalOverdose

Actually I booted from the knoppix 5.3.1 iso on my Hd for at least seven or eight months only having to run a file scan on it periodically when it wouldn't boot. The cd I have of the same will boot on my lap top with no hesitation. I was in the process of making a bootable Knoppix 5.3.1 USB when I lost the capability to boot anything knoppix in my PC.

It has to have something to do with my desktop because Koppix 5.1.1 CD and USB boot fine in my laptop as does 5.3.1 DVD and USB. Other live CDs will boot in the desktop but not knoppix.

I was trying to open a minirt.gz in boot/isolinux while booted into the Knoppix 5.3.1iso on the desktop and mount it where I could see into it. Something went wrong and I haven't been able to boot anything knoppix since.

Actually I can get the DVD to boot with the debug cheatcode but still can't solve the problem.

These are the commands I tryed

mount minirt todelete -t ext2 -o=/dev/loop0

or if the above does not work use

mount minirt todelete -t ext2 -o loop

And niether one worked, come to find out it was an old tutorial and 5.3.1 uses ramfs instead ext2 for minirt.gz and has to be extracted with a zcat |cpio command.

This may have nothing to do with it but maybe someone knows something I could have messed up with these commands??

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I have had mixed luck with getting Knoppix to boot on different machines. I have an older version, I would imagine. I haven't created a new disk in months.

Troy

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
I have had mixed luck with getting Knoppix to boot on different machines. I have an older version, I would imagine. I haven't created a new disk in months.

Troy
Well I got it working again just not booting from the iso on my HD. I mounted the iso and copied the needed files to HD and booted it with grub. I finally found a menu.lst entry that would boot it. I'm experiencing errors in my cdrom that I haven't got sorted out yet. And it looks like a lot of others or too. Everywhere I look I see similar problems with no answers. I believe cdrom errors to be the heart of my problem right now. I either have a bad dvdrw or I'm somehow not comunicating with it as I can't burn a cd right now. Thanks for the reply.

For what its worth here is the end of dmesg on my sys:

[ 135.126239] cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!
[ 135.186793] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
[ 135.186804] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0
[ 135.189728] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
[ 135.189735] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0
guest1@guest1-desktop:~$

top topics

join