It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War-zone drones piloted from Cannon AFB

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
A little news blip that showed up in our local news I thought to share with you all... I always knew the Predator RQ-1 / MQ-1 / MQ-9 Reaper - Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV), were remoted from elsewhere ...but didn't know at lest some of that was done right here in eastern New Mexico...
Check out the vid on the news site.. kind of cool...

Watch the Video here

CANNON AIR FORCE BASE, N.M. (KRQE) - Air Force pilots in New Mexico fly combat missions in Afghanistan without leaving their base as the role of unmanned drones grows increasingly important and lethal.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I think they can be very detrimental if the enemy ever becomes able to hack into their controls, making them obsolete against a high tech combatent, which is why if there is ever a war with china, it will be hard.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by fapython
I think they can be very detrimental if the enemy ever becomes able to hack into their controls, making them obsolete against a high tech combatant, which is why if there is ever a war with china, it will be hard.

I don't know that they would have to hack anything... in the news report they talk about a 2 second delay due to having to route threw a satellite... if China knew what freq. is being used it would be pretty simple to jam the signals right?

maybe someone who understands the system better can explain it...

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I can't source it, but I saw a documentary showing how they also control the UAVs from Nellis, outside Las Vegas.

Pretty good gig, if you ask me!

As to hacking? I know all of the command/control functions are classified, but logic dictates that everything is heavily encrypted. I think the "Hack in and take over" scenario is more likely in some hack Hollywood thriller ("Die Hard XXVII", anyone??
)

Oh noes!!!! NOW I've done it! Given someone the idea for a screen play.....oooops.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Neat. Fighting a war from the comfort of distance and A/C command posts. Sure beats pounding feet on the ground in some god forsaken place we have no business being in anyway.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyred
Neat. Fighting a war from the comfort of distance and A/C command posts. Sure beats pounding feet on the ground in some god forsaken place we have no business being in anyway.

This is a "Yeah, but"...
See Cannon AFB out in Clovis New Mexico counts as one of those god forsaken places
Unless you really like peanuts ....lot of peanut farms out that way... and in town the big local hot spot is the K-Bob's Steakhouse... And of course the John Deere dealership

[edit on 3-7-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

true, but...it beats sitting over in Iraq, in 110 plus weather.
2nd line

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Just a little info vid to explain what were talking about , in case anyone doesnt know

join