It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers ADMIT Accidental Lab Release of Influenza

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
www.pittsburghlive.com...

Both the 19181 and the 1977 strains have been accidentally released, according to a University of Pittsburgh study, released 30 June 2009. The circulation of these strains, via air travel, corporate farming, etc., merely reinforces that viral RNA is highly mutable, and ready to reassort, and therefore the necessity of keeping the samples safe in labs is critical to global public health.

This admission, in conjunction with the research on the Inuit woman who died of the 1918 strain, as well as the Baxter SNAFU, re: live viral vaccine sent to the Czech Republic all (possibly) make for a VERY big global class-action activity.

At the least, it should embolden people to demand the immediate firing of those in "charge" and their replacement with more responsible scientists.

And, as a side note, the search of researchers LEAVING a government lab, or any other lab dealing in sensitive matierial should be far more intensive than the search performed when ENTERING a facility. From personal experience.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Yeah, this was discussed earlier this week on another thread. They are not saying that 1918 virus and 1977 virus were accidently released. Here is what they are saying:

1918 H1N1 virus was an old virus that mutated to attack humans
1955 H1N1 virus appears to have gone extinct and no new cases appeared
1977 The presumably extinct virus reappears with the same geneology of 1918 virus as of 1955. This let the world know that the virus they were seeing was not a "wild" virus but one that was in storage. Upon futher investigation it was discovered that some Russian scientists apparently broke a vial and re-released.
Current The new varients of the virus appear to be a mixture of the original 1918 strains (thanks to the delayed release from storage) combined with a new mutation of a swine based virus and some influences from standard flu viruses and avian flu viruses.

At least that is what my take on that article is.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
For anyone truly curious about the Fort Dix incident:

On 4 February 1976, a soldier died at Fort Dix army base from acute respiratory disease (Gaydos et al. 1977a,b, 2006). Analysis of tracheal swabs from this soldier showed that he was infected with a novel H1N1 influenza similar to those circulating in swine. The new virus, dubbed A/New Jersey/76, was of concern since H1N1 strains of influenza had not circulated in the human population since the 1957–1958 pandemic. Since Fort Dix was an infantry training facility, the population was younger and nearly all inhabitants were immunologically naive to any H1N1 influenza strain (Hodder et al. 1977). Subsequent investigations revealed that A/New Jersey/76 had circulated widely in the trainees at Fort Dix between 5 January and 14 February, by which time the virus had apparently gone extinct. Over the course of the epidemic, A/New Jersey/76 caused 1 death, 13 hospitalizations and 230 total cases.

www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov...

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I think all bio-warefare weapons should be outlawed forever. And anyone creating one should be stuck with there own creation in a pressurized room and slowly left to die, then burn't.These people are the true monsters of the world.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
What I want to know is, how the HELL was it an accident?

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
So now they admit it, because we know the truth anyway. They *are* monsters. People have died from this. Would that make them killers, then?

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Eye of Horus

I think all bio-warfare weapons should be outlawed forever.

They have been in almost all countries since the 1970's Google "Bio-Warfare Convention". en.wikipedia.org...

Bio-weapons will never make mankind (let alone all life) go extinct the way a nuclear war could since most only effect those creatures similar to humans, and since somebody, somewhere will always be immune to a bio-pathogen.
However they have the annoying habit of being cheap to produce in comparison to nukes which cost billons to establish production infrastructure, and many millions to annually maintain.
Their cheapness is a bad thing because it makes them a incredibly attractive option to any third world country wishing to benefit from Mutually Assured Destruction.
This is bad because there isn’t one country we have invaded in the last 60 years that wasn’t poorer in terms of GDP than we are. Needless to say if too many countries have biological weapons the logic of Mutually Assured Destruction would kick in to deny any (logical) materialistic gain, for anybody in the West, wishing to send troops into foreign countries. As you can see this is really very bad for our “defence” (i.e. Government Warfare Departments!).

The Real Threat…
Biological Warfare Defence, Research & Development is not prohibited by any international treaty. This means whilst it’s illegal to develop plague bombs, it’s not illegal to develop plague vaccines. Nor is it illegal to manufacture, posses, or modify a pathogen providing it’s done on defensive grounds.
Why This Is A Threat…
1. Bio-Defence research spending provides salaries that pull highly qualified scientist away from current-real world threats like flue, cancer, and animal diseases, and instead devote their entire careers towards solving hypothetical threats, the dynamics of which is always being outdated by other countries hypothetical-real technological advances.
2. As has been seen by recent accidents, although in theory nothing should escape from any bio-warfare facility anywhere in the Western World (or at least America) reality says this is not, has not been, and probably never will be the truth. Generally risks are postponed, not eliminated. The trouble with this is that realities actions did (or have) made Bio-warfare defence a bigger threat to public safety, than the entire range of pathogens in other countries bio-warfare programs.
3. The U.S is highly vulnerable to espionage. This is partly because the computer industry remains a convincer of the U.S. Military that it’s fine to store all manner of Research & Development technology, on many computers, linked to the world wide web.
I mean duh!!! Of course it’s good for the military to use computers, but it’s not ok to put futuristic stuff on the path to China-Korea.

4. Although no threat to U.S. It is sad to think of all the animals dying of e.g. anthrax, and if animals are to be used, then really it should be used to fight the real killers of man (i.e. natural causes).

[edit on 090705 by Liberal1984]

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Just one MOREfalse flag in a long list of false flags comitted by the US Government.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
So the recent swineflu incidents i.e the broken vial on the train and the posting of CONTAMINATED vials throughout europe is nothing to do with depopulation then

*Not a question

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by CultureD

So much for a 21st century state regime and its science, huh?

Trust no one is still the best... and now perhaps, the only good course.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I saw on BBC News once that scientists were trying to dig up the 1918 to try and test and prevent Birdflu to see how todays viruses have mutated since.

I know how it mutates, by stupid people in white coats who should leave past viruses alone instead of trying to experiement with them.

My Gran who is no longer with us told my mum that this virus took the best young people away, a generation of young people were killed but she survived.

And they want to do tests on it?

I have an idea, why not just burn all the viruses up before they get everyone killed with their incompetance mistakes they keep making.

I know from the word go that on the BBC that it was a bad idea, a disaster waiting to happen, they need to start watching some movies like OutBreak or Aliens, 12 Monkeys and 28 Days Later.

virus.stanford.edu...

The influenza pandemic of 1918-1919 killed more people than the Great War, known today as World War I (WWI), at somewhere between 20 and 40 million people. It has been cited as the most devastating epidemic in recorded world history. More people died of influenza in a single year than in four-years of the Black Death Bubonic Plague from 1347 to 1351. Known as "Spanish Flu" or "La Grippe" the influenza of 1918-1919 was a global disaster.
Text

Is that not useful for the crackpots in power?

The 1918 "Spanish" flu pandemic is estimated to have infected up to one billion people - half the world's population at the time.
Text

As for scientists who think there is no God but like to play as one...

It is thought that the virus may have played a role in ending the Great War as soldiers were too sick to fight, and by that stage more men on both sides died of flu than were killed by weapons.
Text

Stupid Idea?

news.bbc.co.uk...

Scientists are preparing to exhume the body of a woman who died of flu 85 years ago to find out how the virus killed millions across Europe.
Phyllis Burn died aged 20 in 1918, a victim of the 20th Century's worst flu epidemic, which killed more than 50 million people.

She was buried in a lead coffin, thought to be virtually airtight, in Twickenham, south-west London.

Scientists wearing protective clothing will remove lung samples from the body.
Text

At this point Sarah Conner from Terminator 2 would be saying ''How else would you have known, men like you created the bomb thinking your clever do you know what it is like to have a baby grow inside of you''...

"I don't think there is any chance of finding an infectious virus, but you never know," said Mr Oxford.
Text

Ripley from Aliens by now would be saying-''If you let one of those things in here, all this and your bull# will be gone''.

"We are treading into the unknown a bit."

"I didn't know what to think to be honest," she said.

Look what it did for Frankienstien...

"But I think she would have wanted to help in any way [she could] and certainly, as a family, we would."
Text

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Forward to 6.50minutes if you don't want to watch the whole 10mins of it.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by The time lord

"This video is not available in your country due to copyright restrictions."

Second line.

[edit on 3-7-2009 by RichieScott1]

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
In honor of one poster who originally said something along these lines:

These people are so slick that one of them could shoot someone in the head on Letterman then claim that it was an accident, and get away with it.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
We will have to wait until winter comes in order to see the real "think" of the virus.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Like I said before sometimes its best to leave these things burried, have they not learnt from the movies like Jurrasic Park that maybe trying to solve a problem will bring more harm than good, today the government can not keep files safe, how many memory sticks, folders, CDs of personal information have they lost and now they want to dig up and store old viruses?

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Re:

Biological warfare- the Contravention is a joke. Research goes on in every country in "bio-defense" (and chemical-defense- different topic). In order to protect oneself as a country from a biological attack, one must understand how strains are weaponized- this, under the guise of "bio-defense" research, we (and all other countried who do the same) are actually in violation of the Contravention, and are actually manufacturing weaponized biological agents.

When I learned the truth of that, I RAN from a job in which I thought I was serving the world. Instead, the group for whom I worked was as culpable as any dictatorship- any tyrannical rule- any state that disregards the Contravention- and that means the US, UK, EU, Asia, Russia, etc.

As I've said so often, we are playing with fire- and those who would seek ways to destroy humanity- or any other aspect of the world- have forfeited their rights to live.

I pray all the time that the work I did got soaked in bleach and destroyed- in my youthful, naive, "save-the-world-" research I was an unknowing contributor. I can only be thankful I left with my soul intact.

I wish all here the best of health- from the numbers I'm reading it's going to be "a bit of a blow" as they say...

Peace

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Jadette

Great post- and for more incredibly good research re: 1918 flu, read John Barry's "The Great Influenza". It is the best work of research "in toto" about the flu, WWI, the ramp-up, denial, media censoring, denial, mass morbidity and mortality due to political pressure in wartime, and the fallout of the events listed.

I hoghly recommend it to all who want to learn what could happen in ANY de novo flu pandemic- and why, with the exception of antibiotics for secondary pneumonia, and ventilators (and to a degree, anti-virals), we are in no better place than we were in 1918 as regards a destabilizing biological event.

It's up to us, I think- to be vigilant about our own health, stay well, and self-quarantine when ill- and NOT give TPTB an opportunity to control us, but controlling ourselves to the extent to which we can.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Amen, Redoubt- just posted about that very thing.

Be well

new topics

top topics

join