It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moderating...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 07:10 AM
link   
The following post:

Originally posted by silQ
Personally, i wouldn't really listen to some1 who doesn't know when some1 else is being sarcastic.....but that's just me.

Originally posted by silQ

Originally posted by AlnilamOmega
whatre you guys talking about? of course GOD made us and GOD made the universe. what is evolution anyway? isn't it some cartoon about this guy named darwin or something?

GOD is the master of all and the creator of all. GOD is cool because he is GOD and stuff. GOD didn't need to make no fancy-trancy stages of evolution but he probably did because hes is GOD and stuff.

why do you people think you are here? because GOD put you here because GOD felt like it because GOD is cool
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!

another sad, uneducated christian junkie who follows lies instead of the one true voice: SCIENCE

Shut up.

Was not apreciated by a mod, and it resulted in:
1. A warning
2. A message about breaking the excessive quoting rule.
3. A message about breaking the one line respond rule.

Maybe I should have left out the "shut up", because the message speaks for itself, but why excessive quoting?
I'm not using big quotes, just showing that his words can be used against him as well.
The dude I was quoting is the one who needs moderation for what he wrote in his other posts, calling people names and being an overal ass towards people who follow a religion, and instead I get slapped like this.

[Edited on 6-5-2004 by Jakko]

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Jakko. You speak truth.

Congratulations.

Deal with it,
DeltaChaos

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 07:20 AM
link   
shut up

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Does it make you feel better to know the person you quoted and told to shut up also received a warning? Your post was contrary to several publicly stated guidelines on posting. We try to apply warnings without bias across the board. It simply was not possible to allow your blatant violation of the guidelines to stand without a warning. Sorry. (edit) Also... To avoid "outcry" like this, we reduced the points penalty associated with 1-liners and excessive quoting from 50-points to 20-points. It's a reminder and gentle wake-up call. [Edited on 6-5-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Edit, I was typing this as SO posted above.

Well, you quoted a quote of a quote. It may not be that large, but we do try to save every drop of bandwidth possible and keep the threads tidy.

It's not a personal thing, it's the rules of the forum, and moderators are expected to act on posts they see like this.

I have to say, I agree with the decision the moderator made. You were in breach of those regulations.

But, I would stress that this is not personal, and it will not stain your record here. Don't get too stressed about it, it's supposed to be a friendly reminder about the way posting is preferred here.

It's always tough, because if the moderator ignores the thread, then he is in breach of the rules laid down for moderators.

I really wouldn't get to stressed about it, just take it on board, also, you aren't aware of the warnings that others in the thread may have recieved. (like the one I just sent to Flanker for his one liner). People who behave badly here are spoken to about thier conduct.

[Edited on 6-5-2004 by Zzub]

[Edited on 6-5-2004 by Zzub]

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 07:34 AM
link   
While I agree with a warning, I think sometimes moderation goes to the extreme with immediate punishment in the form of point deduction. I of course have experience in this. If I post a response that points out that another thread exists on the topic by simply stating "I made the same point on another thread" and I am summarily deducted points without receiving some sort of warning, doesn't that seem a bit extreme? Yes, I realize the posting requirements and I also realize that the board has a minimum post length. I met the minimum post requirement and simply pointed out that the thread was redundant to another thread. I see this type of posting throughout the board, so am I to believe that other people are summarily deducted points for doing the same thing or should I make the logical conclusion that they aren't? Perhaps in some cases a warning is more adequate than an immediate point reduction.

Was my post long enough this time to conview my point? I can understand the requirement of making a post of significant length to relay a viewpoint and to keep mindless one line posting to a minimum. However, I feel that if I can get my point across by summarizing my opinion in a clear concise manner or by passing a tidbit of information in a short way, I feel that it actually eases the reader of the burden of reading through a 15 page report on a minor point. If the reader didn't understand the point to some sort of logical conclusion, they can inquire with the parts they don't understand or do the research. Isn't that what the point of intelligence and communication is about? Don't understand something, learn it or inquire about it. Need to get a point across in a communicative manner? Be clear, concise and to the point. Overly verbose posts are more detrimental to constructive discussion than clear, concise points. In debates you are limited to a time period. Why? To keep endless nonsensical rambling down to a minimum. Think I made my point.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   
My question to the originator is, was there a point deduction or just a warning?

Since I can't seem to make one line posts to ask for clarification, I thought I should add more senseless drivel to this post.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by .E3. Since I can't seem to make one line posts to ask for clarification, I thought I should add more senseless drivel to this post.
As staff has said repeatedly, "one line posts" that add to the flow of conversation will not result in a warning. Posts such as "shut up" or a line of smilies will result in a warning. Also, as indicated about, one-line warnings and big-quote warnings do subtract 20 points from your points total for each warning.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I'm not privy to "repeated" announcements of the staff since I've only been here for about, 2 days. But I was summarily deducted 20 points for responding in a thread stating "I made the same point on a different thread." stating that it was being discussed in multiple threads. So which category does my post fall in? The one that was adding to the flow of constructive conversation by stating that there was another thread out there about the topic, or the one that required a point deduction because it didn't contribute or simply violated the rules of posting without adding content to the topic?

I'm just curious so I know how I should post in the future.....

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by .E3. But I was summarily deducted 20 points for responding in a thread stating...
Your Post Here May have been "on the edge", but a judgement call went against your favor since the topic was a reasonably serious one, as well as being in our news forum where we hope members will be a little more mindful of their posts.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
IMO - one line posts should receive 500 point deduction, especially if the person is only agreeing with someone else and / or really adds nothing of content to the subject....

as I've noticed one member who constantly does this....

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I can understand that position and I can respect the judgement call. But, like I said earlier, I wasn't aware that posting something of that nature or the repeated postings of admins informing of such posting. Perhaps I would be less ruffled if I was just simply notified or warned instead of punished. I do understand the position of admins on the posting requirements now though.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
IMO - one line posts should receive 500 point deduction, especially if the person is only agreeing with someone else and / or really adds nothing of content to the subject....

I quite happy with ATS not being a police state actually elevatedone. A small deduction for a short and senseless post is one thing, making people scared to post anything under a sentance is not good. . . Members who have a problem with the short message rule should realise: often short messages are not penalized, adding something to the thread can be short, thanking a member for their contribution for instance. "shut up" is hardly worth the bandwidth it is taking up...unless of course you were talking to mepatriot heheh...

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Thanks for the response Skeptic, I guess I should have more trust in the moderation instead of assuming Silq got no warnings.
Flamers are bad enough, flaming them will probably not lead anywhere anyways.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I got a 20 point penalty today too, but I suppose I deserved it. I was taking the piss and really should have made it a bit longer.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Ooops I was gonna put something witty in here but I realized it was gonna get points deducted. Sorry.

[Edited on 6-5-2004 by Agent47]

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   

I got a 20 point penalty today too, but I suppose I deserved it. I was taking the piss and really should have made it a bit longer.

Ooops I was gonna put something witty in here but I realized it was gonna get points deducted. Sorry.

now this, ladies and gentlemen, is called sarcasm.

but this points-deduction system will only work if the offender cares about their points. i kind of object to the system anyway, because a dumb person who has been with ATS a long time has more points than a very intelligent person who has just joined, and so the longer-standing member generates more subconcious respect than a more intelligent, younger counter part.

my solution would be a peer-to-peer rating system. of course if someone posted something bad about a person who generally got good reviews they would have to supply reasons for their dislike. in a sense, what ATS is about: backing up your satements. tell me what you think guys...

[Edited on 6-5-2004 by NothingMakesSense]

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Lol, Kano is now sending me "excessive quote" and "one line post" warnings also, for the same post Skepticoverlord allready "reviewed".
So that's erm...

Warning -200 (skepticoverlord)
Excessive quote -20 (skepticoverlord)
One line post -20 (scepticoverlord)
Excessive quote -20 (kano)
One line post -20 (kano)
Total : -280

And counting...
Can I get in the guinness book of records with this?

[Edited on 7-5-2004 by Jakko]

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by NothingMakesSense

... my solution would be a peer-to-peer rating system....
[Edited on 6-5-2004 by NothingMakesSense]

Hi NMS!!

In a way, we already have this with the "vote" for thread facility, so that members can rank a thread from 1-10, the default being 5 of course. Ideally, this can provide an indication of how the thread is continuing and, whilst not addressing individual contributions, it can flag potentially "intresting2 threads to other members?

And we have Way Above votes too which do reward individuals...

Just my 0.02...

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakko Lol, Kano is now sending me "excessive quote" and "one line post" warnings also,
The message you received when the warning was generated contains this important line... Please go back and edit your post to remove the excessive quoting. The reason being... other moderators may discover your post and give you another warning.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join