It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is PNG not allowed as an upload format?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Currently only JPG, GIF, TXT, and PDF are allowed in as ATS uploads. For a research project and other purposes I would rather use PNG images. PNG has much better transparency options and is supported by all major browsers, including IE and Mozilla (Firebird). Would it be possible that one can also upload PNG or maybe you could buy extra file formats in the store?

I noticed that there is also an 100 kb limit on files. Maybe you could buy an higher limit in the store as well.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 07:52 AM
link   
>>PNG has much better transparency options and is supported by all major browsers, including IE

You are aware that the transparency doesn't work in IE unless you put a hack into each webpage that contains one, right?

You are right that it's a superior format, I just wish the IE support for it was complete. (although, it's easy to hack the webpage to get PNG alpha to work).

[Edited on 6-5-2004 by Zzub]

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zzub
>>PNG has much better transparency options and is supported by all major browsers, including IE

You are aware that the transparency doesn't work in IE unless you put a hack into each webpage that contains one, right?

You are right that it's a superior format, I just wish the IE support for it was complete. (although, it's easy to hack the webpage to get PNG alpha to work).

I didn't know that. I always use Mozilla Firefox. That changes everything. I wanted better transparency support, but changing all the pages isn't worth it. I guess I'll have to convert all the pictures of the research project to GIF.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Isn't it huge? Or is that Bitmap? Either way, I can probably convert for you if you don't know how.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ess Why Kay
Isn't it huge? Or is that Bitmap? Either way, I can probably convert for you if you don't know how.

PNG is larger than JPG, but it has better quality and a transparency channel in addition to the standard red, green and blue channel. PNG is about 50% larger than JPG and BMP about ten times larger. Thanks for your offer, but I know how to do this myself as well.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   
If you ever do need to use PNG graphics on a webpage, have a look at this link. It explains how to get them working correctly in IE. Apparently, the support is there, but they disabled it for some reason.

www.mongus.net...

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Also another glitch I've noticed with PNG graphics and IE is that IE doesnt show the color correctly for some reason. I was working on a site using only PNG as my graphics format, and when I did a side-by-side comparison between Mozilla and IE the IE side looks like the colors were dulled a bit. Considering how long its been since MS did any real work with IE other than patches they may never get around to fixing it.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   
IE seriously sucks ass.

I work with XML and XHTML, and once you start using the w3c validator, you learn what a steaming pile of poo IE really is. It doesn't respect quite a few things that it strictly should.

I hope they sort out these problems in some future release.

top topics

join