It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electric Trees - as a power source?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Electric Trees - can act as a power source for a tree’s own fire alarm

Apparently trees can generate a slight electrical charge due to an imbalance in pH between the soil and the tree.
I haven't seen this posted here as yet and this seems pretty amazing technology that has a lot of potential.

MIT scientists discover why trees bear slight electric current

“A team of MIT scientists, using platinum electrodes and everyday ficus house plants, have found that the faint current actually comes from an imbalance in pH between the soil and a living tree. And that discovery is already sparking discussions about novel ways to use that electricity – including as a power source for a tree’s own fire alarm.”

Which has led at least one company to utilize the "free" electricity to power a sensor array aimed at detecting forest fires:

Electric Trees

The voltage is small -- the average tree generates a mere 100 to 200 millivolts. But the potential is huge. Already a company called Voltree has developed a tree-powered sensor that monitors local air temperature and humidity, tapping enough energy to radio the data to a central hub.

The company behind the sensor array:

Voltreepower - Early Wildfire Alert Network

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Great find, thanks!

I actually conducted an independent research on this back in 2006, and came out with a different theory. So I guess, I was wrong,lol!!

new topics

join